Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The ShellExView utility will allow you to temporarily disable/enable shell extensions to trouble-shoot any that might be interfering with Sigil's Qt File Dialogs.
OK, I think you added this after I read it initially. I will download that program and disable all shell extensions temporarily to see if that makes a diff.

Quote:
Are there certain file types listed in the folder when Sigil freezes, that when not present, won't cause a Sigil freeze?

Are you running Sigil via Sandboxie?
No, and no.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
It sounds like you are highly suspect of shell extensions...
I am indeed. They are the bane of Windows Qt programming/troubleshooting.

If you can verify that it's a shell extension causing the problem, enable them one by one to see if you can figure out which one specifically.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2017 at 05:50 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #18
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

OK I disabled all non-MS shell extensions. There were 36. I will first use Sigil awhile to see if it seemed to fix the problem. Then will enable the first 18 and try Sigil again. If after a couple days it's still ok, I know the problem shell is in the second half... so will enable 9 of those, etc, working my way down to the one. Will report back in some days...

Thanks for this as I can just enable all of them again when I am not using Sigil. Then disable again when I am.

EDIT: In the meantime I am CTRL+S'ing my a-- off.

Last edited by Trane; 02-28-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For edification purposes, here is an older discussion on Qt and 3rd-party shell-extension bugs.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
For edification purposes, here is an older discussion on Qt and 3rd-party shell-extension bugs.
Thank you for that. I will read it when I can get a minute.

And BTW I don't have any image-related shell extensions except I noticed Nitro Preview PDF handler, which I don't recall seeing in any shell, but apparently it's there in certain circumstances. It is not one I need AFAIK. But I recognize the others... stuff like MBAM, lockhunter, AxCrypt ZIP stuff, TeraCopy....
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
Trane
Groupie

Huh... in looking closer, I don't see some listed that I know I have... like a tools for audio conversion (Switch Sound Converter and Wave Pad Batch converter) ... which are still active when I just tested... either they were grouped with MS extensions I hid, or they aren't appearing in the utility for some reason...

EDIT: Just used the Find feature in the utility and it did not find either extension.

Last edited by Trane; 02-28-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #22
Trane
Groupie

UPDATE

OK, it just happened again, with all my non-MS extensions disabled (except the 2 sound extensions I just mentioned).

This time it happened just a little differently. I clicked the icon to place a picture, navigated to it in the window, and selected it. The window closed but the picture code did not appear. (I always place pictures in <> mode.) I waited. Nothing. I thought I must have done something wrong, so started over. Clicked the icon, to place a picture, the window opened and immed solarized, hung and crashed.

Thank god I did CTL+S this time beforehand! I still haven't redone all the work I lost this morning!

EDIT: Another clue? When I re-opened Sigil I clicked on the TOC chapter I was working on to quickly navigate there and it wouldn't work (i.e. it did not take me to that place in the book). All the other chapters surrounding that one worked. Of course I can generate the TOC again, but thought this might tell you something.

Last edited by Trane; 02-28-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Have you tried with a fresh sigil.ini file. If something is interfering with Sigil causing Sigil to crash repeatedly, it may have crashed while updating the settings causing ini corruption.

Your latest crash still invoked the native Windows file dialog, right?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #24
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you tried with a fresh sigil.ini file. If something is interfering with Sigil causing Sigil to crash repeatedly, it may have crashed while updating the settings causing ini corruption.

Your latest crash still invoked the native Windows file dialog, right?
Yes it did invoke the standard MS dialog, and no I haven't tried a fresh sigil.ini file. Should I reinstall Sigil then, to get a fresh ini?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK, the "Insert File" feature doesn't even use a native file dialog (unless you're using the "Other Files" button within it). It should be unaffected by shell extensions. How many images are we talking about being listed in that dialog to choose from? Are they all one type of image, or a mix? What are the file extensions?

What are the details of the typical types of files you're inserting (found in the bottom right-hand corner below the image preview)?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes it did invoke the standard MS window, and no I haven't tried a fresh sigil.ini file.
Now you're confusing me. Clicking on Insert File (Icon or menu item) does not open a native File Open dialog. It opens a Sigil widget for selecting images/files already a part of the epub.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #27
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Now you're confusing me. Clicking on Insert File (Icon or menu item) does not open a native File Open dialog. It opens a Sigil widget for selecting images/files already a part of the epub.
There is a little confusion. Yes, to place a picture I click the Sigil Insert File icon, which opens the window to select an image... and that's the window that crashes the program.

Once it has crashed, KevinH asked if the native Windows dialog came up, telling you the program is not responding, and asking to close it. It does.

I'll answer your other question in a sec...
Old 02-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I was referring to the native Windows file dialog to select a file. Those are the ones impacted by shell extensions causing name collisions across different versions of Qt.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #29
Trane
Groupie

I just counted about 100 images in the Sigil Images folder (open inside Sigil in the left tree). They are all either jpg, gif or png and none are large files. (There is a mix of clipart and digital photos.)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #30
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I was referring to the native Windows file dialog to select a file. Those are the ones impacted by shell extensions causing name collisions across different versions of Qt.
OK, now I'm confused. The "native Windows file dialog to select a file" ... ?? If you mean like in Explorer, I'm not following. I am working inside Sigil. (Sorry for being dense!)