Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
gdgibson
gdgibson began at the beginning.

Device: All
AZK issues

Well, a former client contacted me for another project, and I agreed to take it on. So I was thrilled when I updated Kindle Previewer and discovered that Amazon has updated their approach to Apple iOS devices. I opened an EPUB using Previewer, saw the instructions to sideload the AZK file to my iPad, did what you're supposed to do in iTunes and — got nothing. No matter how many times I synced, the file never showed up on the 1st generation iPad I use for proofing. I could, however, sideload it onto an iPad mini in my household (more on that in a moment).

I take this to mean that the Kindle app for iOS 5.1.1, which is the latest that will run on the iPad I have, somehow doesn't recognize azk files. However, having checked the release notes, this was not made explicit, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something in the sideloading process, or if anyone knows if my hunch is correct.

Now, about the azk file on the iPad mini: I'm doing some initial proofing, simply to make sure the formatting of the text is coming in without errors, but I see already that the azk file has dropped all italics, while the italics have come through intact in the mobi file (which is all I can preview on my iPad) and Previewer's rendering of KF8 devices. Has anyone seen similar problems with azk files?
gdgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgibson View Post
I take this to mean that the Kindle app for iOS 5.1.1, which is the latest that will run on the iPad I have, somehow doesn't recognize azk files.
AZK files are newer than Kindle for iOS 5.1.1. You'll need something that can run the very latest Kindle for iOS.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Interesting for italics on your AZK. My AZK seems to have italics. I have uploaded two azk files to the mobi section of our eBook forum. These are two books from the Shelf of Fiction. They include italics primarily entered using character italics, not paragraph italics. Perhaps this is the difference. In any event check our wiki for AZK. I have started to decode the contents. It is mostly JSON files but the source and the binaries are both inside a zip so you can possibly look and see where the problem lies. There is a source file for the CSS it is using inside the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
gdgibson
gdgibson began at the beginning.

Device: All
Updated Reader for iPad

And the newest version for iOS 5.1.1 recognizes the AZK format. No italics issues! Thanks, everyone, for your help!
gdgibson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azk, kindle