Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #121
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That made it a bit better, thanks for the help. Now to see if I can get the lockups to stop.

And, is there a way to get the KOReader and Launcher tiles back on the homescreen when you stupidly dismiss them thinking that by opening them from the Books list again will put them back? hehe
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #122
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've followed your instructions to install KOReader and it works perfectly except for one glitch -- my sd card disappears from the Kobo library, although it is present in KOReader. This is a problem in that I installed KOReader to read pdf's, but I prefer the native Kobo reader for kepubs and sideloaded kepub.epub's from Calibre. As it happens, I store those and downloaded pdf's on the sd card. If I go into KOReader and open a pdf from the sdcard and then exit, the books from my sd card no longer appear in the native software. If I go back to KOReader, the sdcard still appears. To get it to reappear in the Kobo library, I have to reboot. Is this a common problem and is there a workaround? I'm using firmware 3.5.0

Thanks.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #123
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I Just got back from spending all day at the VA Hosp, which is one reason I haven't gotten back in a timely manner, sorry.

OK the progressbar comes in two flavors, the default is for a "Mini" you can switch it to "Full". There are also the default settings.

I never had to deal with any lockups, with my AuraHD, it may be an issue that effects only some of the models. You should check through the recent postings in the original Koreader thread in the Developer's Corner.

I think the problem was found and a fix identified.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #124
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
I've followed your instructions to install KOReader and it works perfectly except for one glitch -- my sd card disappears from the Kobo library, although it is present in KOReader. This is a problem in that I installed KOReader to read pdf's, but I prefer the native Kobo reader for kepubs and sideloaded kepub.epub's from Calibre. As it happens, I store those and downloaded pdf's on the sd card. If I go into KOReader and open a pdf from the sdcard and then exit, the books from my sd card no longer appear in the native software. If I go back to KOReader, the sdcard still appears. To get it to reappear in the Kobo library, I have to reboot. Is this a common problem and is there a workaround? I'm using firmware 3.5.0

Thanks.
The Kobo software is very dependent on its Database and has to process the files into that database for it to find them. You may want to just have PDFs on the external SD card, since you won't be using Nickel on them. You can put them in a hidden folder, caliber can send to a folder, even a hidden folder. By doing that they are not processed by Nickel.

The recent Kobo FW was reported to correct the different way Kobo's software treated the to cards, but you might want to keep the ebooks you want to read in Nickel, on the internal card (the device Main drive, in calibre). I am sure someone using calibre and their Kobo device the way you do, could provide a better reply. You could check out the Caliber Forum and the Kobo Developer's corner.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-27-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:39 AM   #125
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've installed the Kobo Start Menu 4.0 and the 4.0a update, let KOReader do the nightly update, but I'm still getting numerous lockups constantly, as soon as pressing the first option in the starting menu, sometimes after a few minutes still in menus and options, sometimes after trying to create a highlight or turn a page... it just all stops until I reset it with a paperclip.

So how do I go about uninstalling it all, at least the Kobo Start Menu and KOReader?

Cool Reader and that menu seems to work pretty well. The only annoyance I've run into is that when in sleep mode, it changes to random images for the sleep cover instead of the cover of the book. And the info bar while reading seems to be only available at the top, it can't be moved to the bottom. But it's never crashed or stalled or stopped at all, so I wouldn't mind keeping that for an option.

It seems like a great reader though, but when I spend more time poking the reader with a paperclip than actually reading...
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #126
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I've installed the Kobo Start Menu 4.0 and the 4.0a update, let KOReader do the nightly update, but I'm still getting numerous lockups constantly, as soon as pressing the first option in the starting menu, sometimes after a few minutes still in menus and options, sometimes after trying to create a highlight or turn a page... it just all stops until I reset it with a paperclip.

So how do I go about uninstalling it all, at least the Kobo Start Menu and KOReader?

Cool Reader and that menu seems to work pretty well. The only annoyance I've run into is that when in sleep mode, it changes to random images for the sleep cover instead of the cover of the book. And the info bar while reading seems to be only available at the top, it can't be moved to the bottom. But it's never crashed or stalled or stopped at all, so I wouldn't mind keeping that for an option.

It seems like a great reader though, but when I spend more time poking the reader with a paperclip than actually reading...
The Start Menu downloads include a folder with an uninstall KoboRoot.tgz that will undo the changes that the start menu makes. You may need to reinstall some of the Kobo Patches if you were using those. (One that you should have removed before installing the Start Menu is Giorgio's Multitouch320 - it is incompatable with the Start Menu and may have been the cause of some of the problems you had.)

For Koreader all you need do is remove the Koreader folder. You might also remove the fmon folder since you would not likely be using it, with both the Start Menu and Koreader gone.

Too bad you couldn't get them working on your Glo, as they are working great on my AuraHD and others are using them without the problems you (and a couple of other posters) , have encountered.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #127
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

My uninstall directory though has 5 different versions, and none of them are 3.5.0 (2.6.1-2.6.2, 2.8.1-2.9.0, 2.10.0-3.1.1, 3.2.0, and 3.3.0). This is the version I installed for 3.5.0 directed from another another thread.

Or would it be simpler to just do a factory reset?

Edit: I did not install any that I read needed to be uninstalled before adding Kobo Start Menu, definitely not Giorgio's Multitouch320, I didn't think it would work on a Glo that wasn't really made for multi-touch. And I was getting the lockups before the Kobo Start Menu was added, just from the post you originally directed me to.

Edit 2: And after re-reading this part from the thread I linked above, I think maybe a factory reset is the way to go:
Be aware that you cannot easily downgrade the Kobo firmware without doing a factory reset. The reason for this is that the Kobo Start Menu tries to work with all FW versions starting with 2.6.0. In order to do this it determines the currently running FW version by looking whether specific files are available on the device. After downgrading (without factory reset), these version specific files are still living on the device, and this fact results in false identification.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-27-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #128
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think I used the 3.3.0 uninstall file to remove the Start Menu from my Aura. I did not do a factory reset. I think I had to paperclip it after the uninstall (it froze up). Working just fine, now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #129
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
You don't have to uninstall it.
Its a known issue, check this.

For a working Koreader's OTA update, you might also need this.

Last edited by embryo; 08-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #130
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
You don't have to uninstall it.
Its a known issue, check this.
Added a reference to this in the Install guide using the Kobo Start Menu.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #131
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I had installed the preventfreeze update also on top of 4.0a, and it locked up several times just checking what settings needed to be reset again. Gave it a try in a book as well and it froze up again.

I'll try removing it with the 3.3.0 uninstall file and see how that goes. I wouldn't mind if I ended up having to do a factory reset, especially since it's the spare reader.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #132
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I had installed the preventfreeze update also on top of 4.0a, and it locked up several times just checking what settings needed to be reset again. Gave it a try in a book as well and it froze up again.

I'll try removing it with the 3.3.0 uninstall file and see how that goes. I wouldn't mind if I ended up having to do a factory reset, especially since it's the spare reader.

Thanks for the help.
If you are on 3.3.1 or higher you could use KoboRoot_3.3.1_3.4.1 of KBStartMenu_04_udate01_un_re_install.zip, which you can find here. If you want to downgrade anyway, factory reset is the best way to go.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #133
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I didn't get to this yet, will try it with the 3.3.1 uninstaller later tonight.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #134
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

When I added in 4.0a and it froze up, I remember having to reinstall it, it's like it didn't really take. I decided to try reinstalling the preventfreeze update, redid everything, and so far I haven't had any freezes. I might try it still for awhile and see if it holds.

The only drawback for me with KOReader though is that it doesn't have the built-in dictionaries, and I don't use an SDcard, so there's not enough room on the reader for the stardict files. While I don't use the dictionary often, it's certainly nice to have available.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #135
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There is a guide posted for upgrading the internal uSD card of the Glo, in fact I used that one to upgrade my AuraHDs. It did require opening the case. There was another post that let you use all of the 4GB card, that was formatted as a 2GB card, on some Kobo devices. That was without opening the case, if I recall correctly. You can find them here, I think.

I read a lot of epic fantasy so the world dictionary works fine for me, it is ~35MB but there are smaller ones like the "Merrian Webster 10th dictionary" at ~2.6MB. From Github you get here I have both working in Koreader, not sure if there is any priority to the dictionary used for the definitions returned. The dictionary file used appears in the definition message box.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-29-2014 at 06:27 PM.