Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #91
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Something I have not read mentioned here is what my experience with Kindle book pre-orders. The actual price at the release date is almost always lower than the pre-order price. In fact I cannot recall a time when I did not get charged less for my pre-orders though I rarely do pre-orders of an ebook because, well, ummmm, why? Not like they will run out. I just put it in my watch list and a tickler in my contact/to-do list if it is really important to me. Otherwise I just wait to remember about remembering.

Has Amazon changed this in the last year or so? It has been at least that long since I pre-ordered any book.
I preordered a Macmillan book that was released on Oct. 2, and the price stayed at the same $9.99. Hachette's "A casual vacancy", on the other hand, had a preorder price of $17.99 at which it sold in the first week, but it then dropped to $14.99.

Quote:
Pre-order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date. A pre-order price guarantee message will appear on your Order Summary during the checkout process. If you use 1-Click ordering, pre-order price protection will be automatically applied. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Terms and Conditions:

Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site. Does not apply to any products purchased at Amazon.com's other sites, including Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other web site operated by Amazon.com or its affiliates.
Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to not-yet-released books, CDs, videos, DVDs, software, and video games sold by Amazon.com. It does not apply to other product lines or to items that have already been released.
Pre-order Price Guarantee applies only to qualifying items displaying the offer message on their product detail pages. Items that do not display the offer message do not qualify, regardless of the nature of the items.
If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered before the end of the day of the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact Customer Service.

Last edited by xendula; 10-13-2012 at 11:51 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #92
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
I'd possibly pay near the price of a paperback if the ebook was not DRM-locked.

I'd also probably pay more than a paperback if the ebook somehow had an added value over the paperback version; I've no idea what that added value would be, for me, although for some people the convenience of the ebook format is enough.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #93
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yes because I don't buy paperbacks/hardbacks anymore therefore the price of a physical book is irrelevant to me when deciding to buy an ebook. I decide to buy it if I think that individual book is worth the asking price, which in some cases may be more expensive than its physical counterpart.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #94
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
No. I haven't been reading too many from mobile platforms but I can say I wont change in this subject.
It's simply because my burden from years with computer tech says that physical is better than heap of '1's and '0's. The book is there regardless of bugs or power outages, beautiful in the shelf without discrimination between hard and paperbacks
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #95
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yeah, but when all hell breaks loOse, you can slide your entire library into your pocket with a solar charger, while you have to leave all your dead tree books behind.
...oh man, I've been reading too much dystopian/end of days/scifi... I was totally shopping for a solar charger yesterday!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #96
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yeah, but when all hell breaks loOse, you can slide your entire library into your pocket with a solar charger, while you have to leave all your dead tree books behind.
...oh man, I've been reading too much dystopian/end of days/scifi... I was totally shopping for a solar charger yesterday!
The storage point is always valid
I'm for dystopia, we live in it
Erm...I bet the idea has been through MR if not in this thread but there hardly will be 'Fahrenheit 451' with pyres of Kindle etc. or will there?
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #97
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainMike View Post
No. I haven't been reading too many from mobile platforms but I can say I wont change in this subject.
It's simply because my burden from years with computer tech says that physical is better than heap of '1's and '0's. The book is there regardless of bugs or power outages, beautiful in the shelf without discrimination between hard and paperbacks
The major issue I have along these lines is reading on airplanes. The whole turn off portable electronics during takeoff and landing. The takeoff one isn't too bad timewise, but the landing one seems like it takes forever. "We are about to start our descent. Please turn off portable electronics at this time." You can still read a paper book during these times, which is one advantage over ebooks. Hopefully, they will relax that for eink readers at some point.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #98
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Yes because I don't buy paperbacks/hardbacks anymore therefore the price of a physical book is irrelevant to me when deciding to buy an ebook. I decide to buy it if I think that individual book is worth the asking price, which in some cases may be more expensive than its physical counterpart.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #99
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Would you pay more for ebook than paperback? No. Will not. Do not. And isn't a problem. I'm still buying books faster than I can read them. I find I really don't miss some that formerly were "must buys" and are overpriced for me as ebooks. And all this without getting into indies. There are plenty of books even formerly from mainstream publishers at reasonable prices. I can wait for the others.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #100
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Would you pay more for ebook than paperback? No. Will not. Do not. And isn't a problem. I'm still buying books faster than I can read them. I find I really don't miss some that formerly were "must buys" and are overpriced for me as ebooks. And all this without getting into indies. There are plenty of books even formerly from mainstream publishers at reasonable prices. I can wait for the others.
You took the words right out of my mouth
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #101
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The major issue I have along these lines is reading on airplanes. The whole turn off portable electronics during takeoff and landing. The takeoff one isn't too bad timewise, but the landing one seems like it takes forever. "We are about to start our descent. Please turn off portable electronics at this time." You can still read a paper book during these times, which is one advantage over ebooks. Hopefully, they will relax that for eink readers at some point.
The whole "turn off your electronics" thing is a scam by the airlines! They get you to turn off your reader so you'll leaf through the Skymall catalogue and get addicted to buying crap at 30,000 feet. EVIL!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #102
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
The whole "turn off your electronics" thing is a scam by the airlines! They get you to turn off your reader so you'll leaf through the Skymall catalogue and get addicted to buying crap at 30,000 feet. EVIL!
I guess I've scammed them, then... I've browsed through SkyMall and the in-flight magazines, but never purchased anything... Bwahahaha
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #103
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I guess I've scammed them, then... I've browsed through SkyMall and the in-flight magazines, but never purchased anything... Bwahahaha
I only look through the in-flight magazine because that's where the booze menu is located.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #104
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
The Skymall catalog is actually the first place I ever saw an eBook reader advertised. It was the Rocketbook (eventually became the eBookwise) and was priced at $500. It was that ad that eventually prompted me to buy a PDA to read eBooks on...and thus I was addicted!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #105
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Ditto that. I will never pay more for an ebook than for a paper book. I place more value on owning an actual paper book than I do a text file, no matter what argument some might raise or comparisons they might draw. High-priced ebooks trigger the "I am being ripped-off" response in me, logical or not.
Well, at least you're honest.

But that pretty much says it all, because people aren't necessarily logical about the argument. They are putting emotional value on an inanimate object.

Reading all this really does highlight how much value westerners put into possessions.

I feel like I have been having this same argument for 20 years about books and music and films and photos, but people still don't get it.

People seem to think there is more substance and rustic morale to hold these physical objects, as if from a time when society was better. Where it's actually the opposite.

Anyway, maybe I'm taking it a bit far, but the more movies and music and books I get, the less value I realise they have.

I think the ebook holds more value for me and it does more.

However...I certainly do agree with the sharing issue. Hopefully it may change one day.

But you know what? When someone 'shares' a paper book with me, I just download it, because I still prefer to read it on the Kindle!
I work at a magazine and get plenty of free hardcovers. But I still usually get the mobi! You cannot beat the convenience. I don't own a handbag -- I aint carting those things around with me!
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote