Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Kindle Keyboard Battery Life

Sorry to divert all of you from the excitement related to the new Kindles but I just received my kindle keyboard 12 odd days ago.. (Back when amazon just called it Kindle) . Anyhow. I'd read and heard that it gives you cool battery life! One charge lasts up to a month or so? But I've had to fully charge it twice over these 12 days.. Is this how much everyone really gets? (I'm referring to the disparity between real usage and advertising) or is it just my kindle?

I generally keep the WiFi off. Don't read THAT much. It's generally just lying around when I'm at school. So why such pathetic battery life?

I've only JB'd it and used an SS hack (set to randomize) .Is that what's causing it? (Though I doubt it..)

Thanks
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Something wrong there, by the sound of it. My Kindle is over a year old, and I recharge perhaps once every 2-3 weeks, at which point the battery is normally still half full.

I'd suggest contacted Kindle CS. Sounds as if you may have a duff battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you dumped a bunch of books on it at once, the indexing process (for full text searching) will eat up your battery quickly. If it continues to do so, you may have a book that is stuck indexing.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you dumped a bunch of books on it at once, the indexing process (for full text searching) will eat up your battery quickly. If it continues to do so, you may have a book that is stuck indexing.
That's a very good point, DD.

What the original poster needs to do is to go to the Home page, and search for a non-existant string - just type in "xxxxxxxxxxx" or something, then select "Search". If it comes back and tells you that there are items waiting to be indexed, delete those items, and try re-loading them.

The indexing process is very CPU intensive - I should have thought of that.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Hey! I got around 56 books. Which I doubt is a lot.. :\

Also.. I just realized.. I worked with PDFs a lot over these 12 days? Could that be a reason? Since PDFs aren't really an eReader-appropriate format.

I'll contact CS once I'm REALLY sure there's a problem with my kindle. I don't like calling CS without doing my own homework. (Which leads to a lot of funny incidents :P )
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, rendering complex PDFs will really eat up the battery, too.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Did what HarryT recommended. Nope. Searched for "xxxxx" and it said "No Items".
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Okay. So I'll wait and see if my fully-charged kindle will last 2 weeks. If not then I'll contact CS?

Whatdya think?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Now that you know there's no indexing still going on. Refrain from adding any more books for a while and see how long the battery lasts under normal use. If it still has problems, I'd definitely call CS.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Makes sense!

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I usually go from 10-14 days without recharging my Kindle Keyboard. Amazon's figures assume no wireless and 1/2 hour of reading per day.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I read a lot and kep Wifi on. I'm usually at about half-full (or half-empty depending on your life perspective) after a week.

It was the same on my last Kindle 3.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I read a lot and kep Wifi on. I'm usually at about half-full (or half-empty depending on your life perspective) after a week.

It was the same on my last Kindle 3.
That'll be because of the WiFi. Any particular reason you keep it on? You'd at least double the battery life if you turned it off.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Dictionaries and Bibles with special search facilities seem to take up a fair bit of energy while they index.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That'll be because of the WiFi. Any particular reason you keep it on? You'd at least double the battery life if you turned it off.
I'm waiting on 3.3

Frankly, I forget to turn it off.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote