Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like Bookari Premium as well, though I cannot claim I've tried every reading app out there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Bookari premium here. Any ebook I make always looks as I expect it to. Pocketbook is also nice that way and a close second for me, though the UI takes a bit to get used to. Bluefire renders my books well, but I've just not clicked with that UI.

I believe Bookari, Pocketbook and Bluefire also have iOS apps, which could be useful for anyone having Android and Apple devices, though not owning any iThings, I have no idea if they work as well on that platform as on Android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #18
turbotoes
turbotoes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini, galaxy A5
Thanks for the input guys, still waiting for the new phone to arrive... I've put the apps mentioned on my wishlist and will have a look for the iOS versions mentioned to give me a preview.
turbotoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Ebookdroid is the defacto PDF reader. Actually many many apps on Gplay are forks of Ebookdroids source. It has great auto crop.

My favs are Ebookdroid, Koreader, Alreader.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
Ebookdroid is the defacto PDF reader. Actually many many apps on Gplay are forks of Ebookdroids source. It has great auto crop.

My favs are Ebookdroid, Koreader, Alreader.
I've not come across any PDF reader on Android that's as good as "Goodreader" on iOS. Most reading apps are (understandably) focussed on the fiction reader rather than the user who needs to read PDFs for academic purposes. Academic research use requires the ability to have multiple documents (or views of different parts of the same document) open simultaneously and be able to rapidly flip from one to the other. It's Goodreader's ability to do this that makes it the "killer" PDFs app for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a reading app for Android that doesn't override the CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a reading app for Android that doesn't override the CSS?
Depends on what you mean. If you mean by default, then I've found that Bookari does no (or very, very little) overriding when using its default settings. Of course as soon as you start editing themes (background colors, line-height, justification, fonts, etc...) then CSS is being overridden.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Depends on what you mean. If you mean by default, then I've found that Bookari does no (or very, very little) overriding when using its default settings. Of course as soon as you start editing themes (background colors, line-height, justification, fonts, etc...) then CSS is being overridden.
I mean is there a program that allows no overrides and when you want to override something, it only overrides the specific think you want like say you just want to override margins?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I mean is there a program that allows no overrides and when you want to override something, it only overrides the specific think you want like say you just want to override margins?
To my knowledge (and quite in-depth experimentation), Bookari uses a book's default css unless you tell it to do otherwise. It doesn't have a ton of overrides to begin with; basically fonts, margins, justification, line-height. So there's not a lot for it to diddle with (and get wrong) anyway.

I like to see a book as it was designed to be displayed. That's a big part of the reason I use Bookari/Mantano to begin with. If a book's formatting bothers me enough, I'll edit it to fix it rather than try to "override" its atrocities.

I'm not interested in reading apps that homogenize the presentation of all books. It's too easy for some babies to get thrown out with the bathwater that way.

Bookari uses Adobe's RMSDK for its EPUB2 rendering, Jon. RMSDK v10.0.4 in the latest version of Bookari. It's not re-inventing the wheel.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #25
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've not come across any PDF reader on Android that's as good as "Goodreader" on iOS.

for PDF an android I tend to lean to the business side of things

Hancom office works pretty well
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
for PDF an android I tend to lean to the business side of things

Hancom office works pretty well
Does it allow you to have multiple documents open at once, and rapidly flip between them? That's the critical requirement for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote