Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Black frame on edge of Sony screen.

I've had my Sony over 12 months now and I've just noticed something odd about the screen. No matter what I am displaying, there's a thin black frame down the right side of the screen.

I've looked at photos and videos of other Sonys and some seem to have no frame and others have the same thin black frame as me. For instance: the Sony 700 screen shown on the Sony site is like mine - almost no frame on the left with a thicker frame on the right.

My questions are:

Has this frame always been there, and I'm just noticing it now?

Have I abused my Sony once too often and it is now maladjusted?

Is it possible via software or by dismantling the device and physically pushing the screen hardware a smidgeon to the right, to get rid of the frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black frame - reduced.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	22078  

Last edited by RCR; 01-25-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I just looked at mine, I have it too. I have a blue Reader though, so it doesn't bother me.

You can take the Reader apart, but I'd be way too scared. Plus if you notice when you turn it off it goes away. I think it is just the formatting.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Mine looks the same, nothing to worry about. But now I am worried about rabies, shingles, warts, hepatitis and cold sores as I have no interferon.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Mine looks the same, nothing to worry about. But now I am worried about rabies, shingles, warts, hepatitis and cold sores as I have no interferon.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Thanks guys - if others have a thicker frame on the right side of the screen, I guess I'm not such an oddity.

Of course that thicker black frame makes the Sony heavier on the right side which causes my wrist to twist and ache. So, I'll have to sue them.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I too have noticed the same problem yesterday. I was putting on a cover from decalgirl and looked at the screen and noticed the black line on the right which is thicker. This line is still there when the device is turned off. I recently updated the firmware which enables you to delete a book etc and am wondering if this has caused it. It is annoying for me because I like things to be Symmetrical. What i am interested to know is , was this line always there, or, if not is there a way to remove it?

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I've had my Sony over 12 months now and I've just noticed something odd about the screen. No matter what I am displaying, there's a thin black frame down the right side of the screen.

I've looked at photos and videos of other Sonys and some seem to have no frame and others have the same thin black frame as me. For instance: the Sony 700 screen shown on the Sony site is like mine - almost no frame on the left with a thicker frame on the right.

My questions are:

Has this frame always been there, and I'm just noticing it now?

Have I abused my Sony once too often and it is now maladjusted?

Is it possible via software or by dismantling the device and physically pushing the screen hardware a smidgeon to the right, to get rid of the frame?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think it's standard, but not really noticed until pointed out!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Those black lines are always visibile. They aren't "lines", they are just part of the black, internal chasing. If the left or right "black line" is bigger than the other one, then the display isn't exactly centered within the outer casing.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
This was sooooo weird to see this post! I had just noted the thin black line as I bookmarked the page yesterday and wondered about it. I couldn't remember if it was always there or if something happened. I am sooooo very careful with my Sony and was nervous that I did something.

I feel better that it must have always been there and I just didn't notice (that's what I'll keep telling myself). Thanks for making me feel better.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote