Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Seriously, on the poetry, just use a small hanging indent of a few px/ems/whatever blows your skirt up. Don't give up on it, just because it won't align perfectly. That way lies madness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
This is exactly how I would handle it. Won't work on every single font someone can throw at it, but will work GOOD ENOUGH on MOST fonts and font sizes.
Actually, I think I'd rather have a normal left alignment than a less-than-perfect hanging punctuation.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Actually, I think I'd rather have a normal left alignment than a less-than-perfect hanging punctuation.
Jellby, my sweet:

This feeling is because you work only on what intrigues or interests you. Tex and I are book-slaves. This means that we have to endure and survive, and I, more than most, have to deal directly with poet-clients. What if the hang is supposed to be "perfectly" aligned with the 4th letter? Or the 8th? Or halfway across the line, perfectly aligned with the first lower-case "t" in "buttwax?"

No, no...that way lies madness. Said it earlier, say it again. MAAAADNESS. I mean...if you consider that you wouldn't make yourself crazed for the first lower-case "t" in "buttwax," you can see that the first letter after the opening quotemark is really the same thing. It's all just a matter of degree. So to speak.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This feeling is because you work only on what intrigues or interests you.
Not only because of that. It's also because I'm a perfectionists, and I'd rather have a "perfect" alignment on the left, than a lousy alignment on something that's approximately the size of a quote mark, but not exactly... that would get on my nerves and make me want to adjust it exactly for my preferred font

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to make my clients see it this way. And I'd probably fail, and I'd feel miserable
Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not only because of that. It's also because I'm a perfectionists, and I'd rather have a "perfect" alignment on the left, than a lousy alignment on something that's approximately the size of a quote mark, but not exactly... that would get on my nerves and make me want to adjust it exactly for my preferred font

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to make my clients see it this way. And I'd probably fail, and I'd feel miserable
See? See? There is no winning this. That's why I'm saying, instead of making yourself insane, just accept the reality.

Hitch
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Locking to a Monospaced font might have a chance

I am the type that wants the decimal point to line up in a table
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Locking to a Monospaced font might have a chance

I am the type that wants the decimal point to line up in a table
Totally different issue. I can live with variations in poetry alignment but numbers is a different thing. That is why decimal align is a feature of some word processors and spreadsheet programs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Totally different issue. I can live with variations in poetry alignment but numbers is a different thing. That is why decimal align is a feature of some word processors and spreadsheet programs.

Dale
Agreed. You can't compare the two. Decimals are crucial to convey meaning (amounts, etc.), while one space for poetry is just...well. We all know what it is.

Hitch
Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #38
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why do you think that the double-quote should be treated any differently than any other character? In other words, why are you wanting to indent the rest of the text? It would look perfectly fine to just let the lines fall where they naturally would.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why do you think that the double-quote should be treated any differently than any other character? In other words, why are you wanting to indent the rest of the text? It would look perfectly fine to just let the lines fall where they naturally would.
Poetry is Special, and we uncultured fools cannot understand the soul of the art?

Apparently, these poetry types need it. It makes them happy. If we understood why, we'd be reading poetry too.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Actually, that is what I do when they insist on something that makes me grumble.... Lots of reasoning/examples, and then I leave the PROPER code in there, but commented out, so it allows easy updating in the future when they see my way is superior!

I did that a few months ago with an ebook where they insisted on having captions inside the images. While an "ok" solution in the short-run, that will only bring misery and headaches in the future!

Quote:
Tex and I are book-slaves. This means that we have to endure and survive, and I, more than most, have to deal directly with poet-clients.
After reading your horror stories, I refuse to do poetry.

I only have to handle a few lines/stanzas every so often.... and I just use a little negative indent. Non-fiction books aren't really chock full of poetry.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Poetry is Special, and we uncultured fools cannot understand the soul of the art?

Apparently, these poetry types need it. It makes them happy. If we understood why, we'd be reading poetry too.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

Thanks for the K!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #43
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's a relatively common typesetting choice for poetry. As for the reasons, I can imagine that:

1. The quote doesn't really belong to the poetry. The quote belongs to the external text, and the whole poetry is inside the quote. This does not apply when the quote belongs to the poetry, as in You are old, Father William. In that case it would be wrong (in my opinion, at least) to "hang" the quotes.

2. It can be argued that it "looks nicer".