Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
LooneyAnimator
LooneyAnimator began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ebook Rights

Hello I am new to calibre and I wanted to know if I convert my book using calibre does calibre claim any rights to my work?
LooneyAnimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooneyAnimator View Post
Hello I am new to calibre and I wanted to know if I convert my book using calibre does calibre claim any rights to my work?
Claim?
It does insert a couple of metatags, but that is it.

BTW some of those tags can be read when you add that book to Calibre. They contain some non-(industry) standard metadata, like 'Series'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
None. But I'm just some guy on the Internet. Perhaps Kovid will chime in to reassure you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
LooneyAnimator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Claim?
It does insert a couple of metatags, but that is it.

BTW some of those tags can be read when you add that book to Calibre. They contain some non-(industry) standard metadata, like 'Series'
By claim I mean do they own any rights to the work I create by using their software?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
By claim I mean do they own any rights to the work I create by using their software?
No. You own the rights to anything you create on your own (not company) time, until you sell those rights. The calibre software, calibre developers, and any other software or developers don't have anything to do with your rights. This applies to any books you write on your own time, or anything else you create on your own time.

In some cases, a company you work for might claim they own the rights, depending.

But I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-13-2014 at 07:03 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
One exception is if you create a ebook management system and use calibre as a basis. Then you have to make your system open source software, just like calibre is. That is part of the license for calibre.

But this does not apply at all to ebooks you create using calibre.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If Calibre could claim any rights, Kovid would be RICH, even at 1cent per converted book.
That is how many books that involve a calibre conversion at some point.

Big time publishers,
Garage Publishers,
(No cave dweller, they had no electricity )

Seriously. Look at the code. There are tell-tales of calibre in many-many books .
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
LooneyAnimator

Thank you all for the replies. I understand how rights work with regards to general copyright knowledge. Being a newbie to ebook creating I wanted to be absolutely sure. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No harm in making sure.

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-app-licensed
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, copyright, ebook