Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Honestly, I don't think it looks as good or professional as Dragons & Dreams, but I quite like it, and it might appeal to kids of that age.

I've been meaning to ask - what age range is Dragons & Dreams aimed at?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #62
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Dragons and Dreams is aimed at maybe 4 to 7 or 8 yos - anyone of an age who can follow and enjoy a bedtime story. One of the stories in it (Sunflower) is for the younger age. I have it on good authority that a 7yo girl and a 10 yo boy enjoyed all the stories.

Heart of Rock, when it comes out, will be aimed toward the older in that range; The Snarls is aimed toward the younger range. Bridge of 7 Stones is aimed at about the age of the first tooth coming out.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks. I have a five year old boy and a one year old daughter. I guess I'll be buying Dragons and Dreams, then

Can I suggest that you include some sort of age guidance in the book descriptions? I find it frustrating when I can't work out if books are suitable for my kids.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #64
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I dunno, that cover looks a little scary. I am not sure how well it might be received. I would find some test kids and ask them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #65
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I dunno, that cover looks a little scary. I am not sure how well it might be received. I would find some test kids and ask them.
I was a bit worried about that - I was hoping the comic sans font would lighten the effect. A friend has offered to put a bit of texturing behind it all, maybe that would lighten the effect a bit more too.

The thing is, the Snarls are *evil* and definitely the bad guys in the story. I don't know how else to get that across.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #66
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I write books were bad guys are blown to pieces, so I do not know much about this Was just wondering.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #67
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Here's my current blurb for The Snarls - it should give you an idea of the tone of the piece.

Quote:
The Snarls. They live on pillows and in the wind, just waiting to move into long, fine, or curly hair. And when they move in, they make nests, and more Snarls, and more nests. But we also have their natural enemies: a comb, a brush, and the dreaded Detangler spray!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #68
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I had a similar thought to VydorScope, to the extent that I thought your subtitle should be "A hair raising story".
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #69
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Help me decide

which one of these two I should use? A friend from kboards kindly added some texture behind the graphic, and played with the fonts a bit.

Which texture / color looks better, and should I keep her fonts, or revert back to Comic Sans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnarlsCrunchyTaco.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	944.2 KB
ID:	106903   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnarlsMuffaroo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	106904  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I prefer both of these over the original. And of these two, I like the second better (SnarlsMuffaroo.jpg). That font just seems right with the picture.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #71
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There are definitely aspects of one on the right (the darker background, the larger print) that I think are a distinct improvement over the left, but .... The balance doesn't feel quite right to me - the dropping T and S throw out the balance a little (especially when combined with the background colouring that pushes the same way), and while I like what the 'S's in "Snarls" are trying to portray, I don't think they quite make it. ... Close but perhaps not quite there yet.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #72
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I like the 2nd picture better. It's more ominous.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #73
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I prefer both of these over the original. And of these two, I like the second better (SnarlsMuffaroo.jpg). That font just seems right with the picture.
Tend to agree
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #74
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I like the 2nd picture better. It's more ominous.
That's what I thought, but I don't want ominous, I want silly. I love the font on the second one, but I prefer the contrast on the first one.

I may just go back to Comic Sans to make things silly.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #75
VydorScope
Wizard

I do not think Comic Sans makes it feel silly. I am not sure why, but it just does not