Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just remembered that the K4 models allow for custom added fonts! I hate the thin fonts on most eInk e-readers, so maybe I will get a K4 Black if I return my PW.
Holy crap! To buy a K4B with the official lighted cover will cost $129, while the PW is $119 w/o cover. Forget that! They also want $60 for the official lighted Touch cover. I saw some user photos and they look like sh@t as far as the light goes. Pardon my language but I'm getting frustrated.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I bought the K4B and used it with the Kandle and found it to be a very good reading device, even at night. If I return both PWs, I might go for that combo.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Holy crap! To buy a K4B with the official lighted cover will cost $129, while the PW is $119 w/o cover. Forget that! They also want $60 for the official lighted Touch cover. I saw some user photos and they look like sh@t as far as the light goes. Pardon my language but I'm getting frustrated.
Yeah the cover price is ridiculous. If I need to use a light with my K4 the Travel flex works great.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Holy crap! To buy a K4B with the official lighted cover will cost $129, while the PW is $119 w/o cover.
Well...like Blossom said, maybe the case price will drop again. It's getting to be discount time of year.

xendula, I was just coming to post about the m-edge light. I thought it needed a specific m-edge case? (I've only looked at it briefly, quite a while back.)

Digging also turned up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grantwood-Tech...d+lighted+case
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is another book light I hear about all the time.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-09-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
M-Edge is actually giving away the E-luminator book light for free with every e-reader cover purchase I bought one before for my PRS-300 but never liked it very much - it didn't seem bright enough for the PRS-300. Surprisingly though, it was a good match with my Kindle Touch. It gave my KT background an almost white cast, compared to my Travelflex, which gave my KT screen a purplish hue. (I loved the Travelflex with my Sony PRS-300 though).
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
I completely agree that the covers are way overpriced. The only reason that I even have a lighted cover is because there were two special offers that stacked, one for 50% off a lighted cover and one for $10 off Kindle accessories, so I ended up getting mine for $60 - $30 (50% off) - $10 = $20.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I'll probably just use my Touch if I return my 2nd PW. The reasons is because I already have it.

I use the same big and heavy MightyBright 3-battery model clip on. It is really too big and heavy, so I'll need to find an alternative. I've tried other clip on but none were satisfactory.

When I had a K3 I used it with the official lighted cover. It was okay, but just. It wasn't really as bright as I would have preferred.

I'm wondering if the lighted cover for the Touch is any better. If so and they still sell them I might consider that option.
I've been very happy with the Amazon lighted case on my KT. The LED itself is a very natural warm light (as opposed to the typical cool "blue" LEDs) and placed in the center for even lighting, although it will start to drop off toward the bottom but is still quite adequate for reading. When closed, it's pretty much invisible -- brilliant design. Only downside is the smooth leather can be easily scuffed if not careful. I put mine in an ultrasuede pouch I constructed for traveling.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

The e-Luminator won't work with official Amazon cases for K4 or Touch, unless you use duct tape and tape it to the back, but they should work with a lot of 3rd party cases.

I've yet to find a good clip on or slip in though as the goosenecks are either to loose to hold their shape are they are prone to return to a specific shape that won't work for me.

As for the K4 lighted case, it is just like the Touch case in design and the user photos I saw of the Touch case were really bad as far as the illumination goes.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I've been very happy with the Amazon lighted case on my KT. The LED itself is a very natural warm light (as opposed to the typical cool "blue" LEDs) and placed in the center for even lighting, although it will start to drop off toward the bottom but is still quite adequate for reading. When closed, it's pretty much invisible -- brilliant design. Only downside is the smooth leather can be easily scuffed if not careful. I put mine in an ultrasuede pouch I constructed for traveling.
So you think the Touch lighted cover is okay? I saw some bad looking photos but they might have been poorly taken. Some showed the light glaring off the top bezel, which concerned me since it is a silver bezel.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I personally think using the touch with the lighted cover would be a good option, but I know the cases are pretty pricey now. I far prefer touch readers myself as I do a lot of highlighting so the non touch readers don't interest me much anymore.

For myself, if for some reason I don't end up keeping the PW, I'll just go back to using my Kindle Touch. My touch has excellent contrast, I think I really got a really good one as I have seen others that aren't as good. I hate using a light with it though, they're all sub par and annoying to me, but that's what I'll likely do. I'm still hoping my replacement PW works out. If it's worse than the original I may just end up keeping the original. As long as it doesn't suddenly grow more color blobs.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I'm giving the Kindle Fire HD a try and see how I like it. I don't have a problem reading from LCD vs eInk. I bought the KPW for the 3G.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I'm giving the Kindle Fire HD a try and see how I like it. I don't have a problem reading from LCD vs eInk. I bought the KPW for the 3G.
The Fire is a good option since you don't mind reading from a back-lit screen. I like reading on mine. The only thing is you can't read outside with it or if there's a lot of sun coming through a window.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Pictures - also crazy how great the contrast of the K4B is in comparison!! The bright spot on the K4B is from reflecting back my camera lens.
I bought the red leather case for like 10 bucks on Ebay, and it already came with the right slits in it, but, as you can see, you can also clip the light to the front cover when folded over, though it is not as fixed in that position.
Guys, please don't think my PWs look that great, because they don't. I have a hard time photographing the defects with my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eluminator_redcase.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	93798   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4Beluminator0.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	93799   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4beluminator.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	93800   Click image for larger version

Name:	pwmaxlight.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	93801   Click image for larger version

Name:	lightcompsrison.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	93802  
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
It uses watch-type batteries that you pretty much have two options on:

1) Buy very expensive name-brand ones

2) Buy a whole lot of super cheap import ones that don't last nearly as long
You can find a good, cheap button cell batteries inside other batteries. E.g, an AA battery contains many smaller batteries. I don't know which type of battery you are using, but chances are, you can find them inside a cheaper type of battery

http://www.howtogeek.com/95390/hack-...tteries-video/

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-09-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote