Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #136
marek_online
marek_online began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
It is possible, and some users will swear it to high heaven. However it isn't straight forward, there is some developmentkit/shell hacking involved. With plain end-user GUI you currently cannot do anything with Wi-FI but get software updates.
Thanks Axel. The Book Edition it is.
marek_online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #137
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
It is possible, and some users will swear it to high heaven. However it isn't straight forward, there is some developmentkit/shell hacking involved. With plain end-user GUI you currently cannot do anything with Wi-FI but get software updates.
Hope this won't start another argument...
You don't need shell access for that and it's fully doable with the end-user GUI, with the latest versions of firmware.

You just create a shared network folder on your computer and enter the relevant data in iLiad Settings (page 6) - computer name, workgroup (if it exists), login, pass and folder name, and select the option to connect to Computer instead of iDS (page 7).

After that, everything works automagically, by long-pressing the connect button or tapping the background connect icon: anything you put in the folder under Outbox ends up on your iLiad, while anything you've marked for sharing on your iLiad ends up back in the shared folder under Inbox.

The steps needed to do this are explained in more detail in iLiad's manual.

Last edited by orcinus; 05-20-2008 at 11:18 AM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #138
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Ah okay, then I didn't get realize this changes with the latest update.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #139
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Hope this won't start another argument...
You don't need shell access for that and it's fully doable with the end-user GUI, with the latest versions of firmware.

You just create a shared network folder on your computer and enter the relevant data in iLiad Settings (page 6) - computer name, workgroup (if it exists), login, pass and folder name, and select the option to connect to Computer instead of iDS (page 7).

After that, everything works automagically, by long-pressing the connect button or tapping the background connect icon: anything you put in the folder under Outbox ends up on your iLiad, while anything you've marked for sharing on your iLiad ends up back in the shared folder under Inbox.

The steps needed to do this are explained in more detail in iLiad's manual.
yes this is the way I got my docs and books on my iLiad.
but now I try to find out about getting a firefox monzilla on it,
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #140
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
iLiad BE at Borders

I went and had a look at the iLiad BE at the Borders in Oxford Street today.

My impressions:

I liked the silver and didn't think it looked cheapish, in fact it looks stylish with that right-shoulder off-balance peak thing.

I was completely surprised how light it was. Page turning was a lot quicker than I expected it to be from people's description. Contrast was wonderful. The 100 free books are pre-installed.

Personally I don't have a problem with it not having WiFi - it's got USB and possible 2Gb CF card, so I'll just connect to my PC and download my library onto it (that's how I do it with my ebookwise being outside the US). I'm gonna keep copies of any new books anyway.

Only thing I didn't like was the flat back as I'm used to the ergonomic handle from my ebookwise. On the other hand that handle would be a problem if you want to change orientation 90 degrees for PDF reading....

All in all - I wish I had £400!
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #141
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a note that it'll support CF cards a lot bigger than 2GB. 32GB cards work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #142
marek_online

Quote:
Just a note that it'll support CF cards a lot bigger than 2GB. 32GB cards work just fine.
Wow. Do you know what size of SD card it will take? I have a 4Gb one knocking around somewhere, and have only seen reference to 2Gb ones in connection with the iLiad.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Assuming it's the same hardware as the "normal" iLiad, which I'm pretty sure it is, then it's actually an MMC card slot, not SD. Generally speaking this means that SD cards up to only 1GB will work. Best to stick with CF cards.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #144
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Does it still require a standalone charger? The one thing that's kept me from looking at this product is that I want a USB charger, so I can plug in a USB-compatible battery pack to extend usage when the internal battery goes flat. Once they allow for charging via a USB port while the product is being used, I'm there with my checkbook...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #145
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Yes, it still uses the same iLiad charger and other accessories. The only real difference is the case color and lack of wifi.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #146
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I know that the iLiad not charging from USB is a big deal, but the cool thing about the iLiad is that it has a USB port that allows it to charge USB devices. I charge my iPhone with it everyday!
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 AM   #147
marek_online

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Assuming it's the same hardware as the "normal" iLiad, which I'm pretty sure it is, then it's actually an MMC card slot, not SD. Generally speaking this means that SD cards up to only 1GB will work. Best to stick with CF cards.
Thanks Harry.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #148
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Does it still require a standalone charger? The one thing that's kept me from looking at this product is that I want a USB charger, so I can plug in a USB-compatible battery pack to extend usage when the internal battery goes flat. Once they allow for charging via a USB port while the product is being used, I'm there with my checkbook...
IIRC, the power requirements for charging the iLiad's battery are higher than what the USB standard supports. So I don't think you're ever going to see a USB charger for it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #149
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I have my regular V2 wifi iLiad next to a BE iLiad and I'm comparing them.

I like the rubberised black and I also like the silver. The black cover is easier to grip, but I think the silver looks more stylish.

I don't think anyone's commented that the BE doesn't come with a shoulder bag, which is included as a standard accessory with the wifi iLiad.

If you short-press the connection button on the BE, you get to download history. A long-press takes you to the wired connection screen and you're instructed to connect the travel hub and network cable, if not yet done.

The 50 eBooks pre-loaded on the BE have cover icons in contentlister - a nice feature.

Australian pricing: wifi iLiad: AUD899.00, including GST. BE iLiad AUD799.00, including GST. NZ pricing: wifi iLiad AUD817.27. BE iLiad AUD726.36.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad book edition, irex