Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells 19 31.15%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 3 4.92%
The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James 2 3.28%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 12 19.67%
The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson 8 13.11%
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker 2 3.28%
Anno Dracula by Kim Newman 5 8.20%
Hell House by Richard Matheson 4 6.56%
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin 4 6.56%
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happened tot he hidden vote? Not just who voted for what, but hiding the poll results until the poll is over.
I must have forgot to check the public option. There's no way, as far as I can see, to undo that now, but I put a note in my MR Book Club Vote template to remind me in the future.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
I know a lot of you may want to vote for Storm Front, but as far as being creepy and/or scary, it's not one bit. It's quite far from it. It's not really an appropriate book as far as creepy/scary goes.
I agree. It's the one and only Jim Butcher book I've read. Can't say I'm a big fan, but I didn't hate it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Coincidentally, I just bought a copy of The Haunting of Hill House last week, so I'm eager to read it. My vote is decided!
When I saw this book on the list the first thing I did was check to see if it was available as an ebook and bought it as soon as I saw that it was. This is the book I voted for, but I'm reading it regardless of how the vote goes.

A couple months ago I read Hell House by Richard Matheson and that book is definitely scary and disturbing -- my kind of book.

Last edited by Daithi; 09-23-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm kind of hoping one of the haunted house stories will come from behind, but following the example of my predecessor, I won't vote except to break a tie.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've created an ePub edition of The Island of Doctor Moreau in case it wins.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...62#post1754062
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Thanks, Jon. I'll convert that to MOBI and upload it, unless you were already in the process of doing that.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks, Jon. I'll convert that to MOBI and upload it, unless you were already in the process of doing that.
Nope, I wasn't in the process. I was thinking of it, but feel free.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'll upload it now. Thanks again, Jon.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll upload it now. Thanks again, Jon.
Happy to help. I looked on MR to see if we had this and all we had was an obsolete LRF.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The MOBI conversion of Jon's epub can be found here.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Thanks!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #26
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moreau is also available on Project Gutenberg. I just finished reading it. Quite entertaining. I can't decide what to vote for. There's a couple that have me quite interested.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What happened tot he hidden vote? Not just who voted for what, but hiding the poll results until the poll is over.
Seriously Jon, do you have the worst memory ever?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Dr. Moreau makes a cameo appearance in Anno Dracula.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #29
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I see my vote would probably be lost on Frankenstein so I went with "The Island Of Dr.Moreau".
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Moreau is also available on Project Gutenberg. I just finished reading it. Quite entertaining. I can't decide what to vote for. There's a couple that have me quite interested.
I know. That's where I got the text. The ePub and mobi versions here on MR are formatted better then the PG meatgrinder.