Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #31
Daavo
Daavo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 6)
Ordered version with Wi-Fi, like my current board. Manufacturer Part #:PCB:30-000539. You can find part number on motherboard and double check if this motherboard will be exact replacement. Only one thing to keep in mind - version with 3G has the same part number as version with Wi-Fi. But you can easily tell the difference by looking at board, where it says "SIM CARD", and check if it`s occupied with 3G SIM module. That`s in case if you don`t know which board you need.
Daavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daavo View Post
Ordered version with Wi-Fi, like my current board. Manufacturer Part #:PCB:30-000539. You can find part number on motherboard and double check if this motherboard will be exact replacement. Only one thing to keep in mind - version with 3G has the same part number as version with Wi-Fi. But you can easily tell the difference by looking at board, where it says "SIM CARD", and check if it`s occupied with 3G SIM module. That`s in case if you don`t know which board you need.
True -
But the 3G model is the only one with the plug-in mini-PCIe board (with the modem and radio) plugged into it.
Unplug the 3G board and the SIM card - then you have a Wifi-only board.
(A used board will most likely come with the 3G board already unplugged - it is worth more than the motherboard, and normally will not be included. )

The firmware determines what connection resources are available each time it boots.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
Daavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And once you get it running again, jail break it before it can connect to the Internet and update.
At last i received my new PW2 motherboard. I have few questions about jail break.

I want to use my device with amazon registration. Do i have to register my PW2 before jail break? As i understand from JB thread - changing the registration status will require the jb to be re-installed?

I`am scared to turn on wi-fi, because i don`t want to install ota update and mess something up. Now it`s running on FW 5.6.2.1

I will be following this thread for jail break https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Last edited by Daavo; 09-27-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changing registration status of a jail broken device requires that the "hotfix" or "MKK" package be reinstalled.
Changing registration status only effects our application keys, not the jail break key.

A PW-1 can not update to anything more recent than 5.6.1.1 and 5.6.1.1 can still be jail broken.
I assume your "5.6.2.1" is a typo.
An OTA update in the case of a PW-1 will not happen since there is nothing newer to update to.

I certainly wish you people would learn to use our model specific nicknames.
It would save both you a lot of time and grief and us a lot of time and wasted effort.

A "Paperwhite Gen 6" (in the USA, it can differ depending on region of world) is a PW-2.

So:
1) You are using the wrong jail break thread - you should (well, must) use the current one for a PW-2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
2) The current JB thread's first post was re-written a couple of days ago to include the OTA blocking directions near the top (in Step #0).
3) Use (or post) the first six characters of the device's serial number, and/or look them up in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
And use the model specific nickname for your device.

Doing #3 will reduce the chance of you trying to follow the wrong directions and of people replying to your posts giving you the wrong answers.

Last edited by knc1; 09-27-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #35
Daavo

Sorry. I have PW2.
But before jail break i need to connect to PW2 serial ports and enter root password and tell the system that the main root account doesn't need a password. Right?

Last edited by Daavo; 09-27-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry. I have PW2.
But before jail break i need to connect to PW2 serial ports and enter root password and tell the system that the main root account doesn't need a password. Right?
No.
The second (6) and third (2) number of version: 5.6.2.1 makes it less than 5.8.7.0.1
Now that you know the correct jail break post to be reading, read it, since your question is also answered in its introduction.

You can safely ignore BOTH of the special case directions for a PW-2 in that post.
I.E: Stay with that one post, do not jump to any other jb directions.

(Do not pass go, do not collect $200, etc)

Last edited by knc1; 09-27-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #37
Daavo

Ok, i will not tell anyone that i already did soldering. This is embarrassing. Did i said that out loud!?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok, i will not tell anyone that i already did soldering. This is embarrassing. Did i said that out loud!?
It is still a very useful addition, having serial port access to the Kindle.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #39
Daavo

I unsubscribed from special offers by contacting Amazon Kindle support. How long time Amazon's servers take to update its local status files? I already received message on my Kindle screen that special offers are removed. Is it enough to proceed to next JailBreak step?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I unsubscribed from special offers by contacting Amazon Kindle support. How long time Amazon's servers take to update its local status files? I already received message on my Kindle screen that special offers are removed. Is it enough to proceed to next JailBreak step?
Yes..
Old 09-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #41
Daavo

1. Updated my PW-2 with: factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin
2. Successfully installed Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break

Now i`am stuck at installing the current 'hotfix'
After i copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin to my device and disconnect device, "Update my Kindle" is grayed out.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
1. Updated my PW-2 with: factory_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin
2. Successfully installed Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break

Now i`am stuck at installing the current 'hotfix'
After i copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin to my device and disconnect device, "Update my Kindle" is grayed out.
That is strange to say the least.

Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
First try with UYK (like you just did with the other one).
Then try running it by putting it at the highest level of visible USB storage and rebooting the Kindle.
(On a PW3 I can run it by rebooting into it)

If neither of those two ways work, repeat with the package at the post after that one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5
try same as above.

= = = =

You are not the first to report a problem at this stage, but we haven't had enough feedback yet to even guess what is going wrong.
Nor has anyone been able to duplicate the problem.
So if you could keep notes, and tell us what works and what doesn't work . . . .

It is very strange since these files have been in use since a year ago last July.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #43
Daavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is strange to say the least.

Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
First try with UYK (like you just did with the other one).
Then try running it by putting it at the highest level of visible USB storage and rebooting the Kindle.
This one worked! Using UYK.

So i can proceed to update my Kindle to a newer amazon firmware version?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
This one worked! Using UYK.

So i can proceed to update my Kindle to a newer amazon firmware version?
Yup. That was it for Step #6
#7 update to your choice of newer (I only list those that can be jail broken, but any Amazon version you want).
#8 KUAL menu system and the MR package installer (MrPI).

= = = =

Did you finish the serial port connection on this one or just the soldering part?
If you have that working
or
If you install kTerm
or
If you install USBnetworking (for ssh access)
- - -
That is: anything that will give you command line access -
would you run:
Code:
idme
Capture, then cut and paste the output (except for the serial number).
coplate **might** be able to spot why his package works and our 14 month old one does not.

Last edited by knc1; 09-27-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #45
Daavo

Yes, serial port connection is done.

Code:
serial: B0D4XXXXXXXXXXXX
mac: F04F7C6A2401
sec: 2EVFKU7PVS5QS6JE2394
pcbsn: 02E2201134240DJ5
bootmode: main