Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
zubuza
zubuza has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
need help finding books about the masks we all wear

hello, I'm a animator from Canada and I want to start a new project about masks. The theme is going to be about how masks can distort ones vision of the world, how people wear masks to hide who they truly are and how masks can contain secrets. I'm having trouble narrowing down the theme and was wondering if anyone knew of a book or books that touched on these topics. the use of masks doesn't have to be literal and any advise would be a great help. Thanks!
zubuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sounds a fascinating subject, Zubuza. 'Fraid I can't help you in terms of masks as actual artifacts, but if you want to look into how we mask (metaphorically) our true feelings and characters, I highly recommend Demond Morris's *The Naked Ape* and, especially, *Manwatching*. Not sure that these are available in ebook form, but very often research like this means we have to resort to ink on paper. These should be in any decent public library (they were released under the same title in the UK and US). And here's karma to you for an original idea. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You could do a lot worse than search for cultural theory books based around comic book characters. They tend to delve quite deeply into notions of identity surrounding mask-wearing superheroes. These theories bleed out beyond comic characters into other psychological arenas, so it's a great springboard to start from. I'd recommend Batman as the best starting point. Scott McCloud's books are good books to begin with.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote