Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
ACL1 Light question....that smoky film on the device

There seems to be some type of smoky film (almost like baby powder) on the reverse side (the side that hits the 505). When you run your finger across it, it clears off for awhile and the words are actually easier to read (though you can't do that for the entire plastic plate)...anyone else notice this or know how to clean it off (if possible) without ruining it.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I also noticed this and am interested in comments...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've never really noticed it but then again I haven't paid much attention.

So after wiping off the film it will come back again after some use?

If that is the case maybe it's something generated by the lights inside the lightwedge?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

I'll have to check when I get back at home, if this stuff has come back since I noticed it and wiped it last time...
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I just popped in to find out the same info regarding the lightwedge. I've been searching the forum for similar posts and some seem to have this experience while others don't. I was so excited to be able to use my 505 last night I didn't even notice, but there is definitely some sort of film or buffed back surface to the lightwedge. I compared it to a LightWedge I have used for years with my paperbacks and although the old one is clear, the new Sony one looks like viewing through slightly frosted glass.

Is this normal? I wonder if viewing the 700 with its own light would be better. Maybe Sony should let us take the products to bed for a few nights before purchasing!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Mine just looks like a piece of frosted glass...it doesn't really bother me when I'm reading though (so far). I read with the lightwedge over the screen even when I'm not using the light.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
F1Wild
Addict

Hmmm, I assume the frosting is to cut the glare, but why interfere with the contrast/crispness? I guess it's just personal preference.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
well what's odd is, you can wipe it with your finger and you can see better...then the frosty stuff comes back...i guess it's not cleanable at all, just temporarily.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
F1Wild
Addict

Although Sony swears their lightwedge is exactly the same as the stand-alone ones (they're NOT) they seem to include some sort of (maybe) anti-glare coating? Not sure, but I'm glad some can deal with it as I just couldn't and had to go a different route for illumination.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

krighton : you're right, it seems to clean up when you wipe your finger on it ; I wonder if it could be because of the skin oils that smooth the anti-glare coating irregularities (and then, a temporary effect because the oils will eventually evaporate) ?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
krighton : you're right, it seems to clean up when you wipe your finger on it ; I wonder if it could be because of the skin oils that smooth the anti-glare coating irregularities (and then, a temporary effect because the oils will eventually evaporate) ?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I noticed the smoky film thing as well, and I also noticed that it disappears with fingerprints. The only thing is that now the whole thing is covered with fingerprints. So what can I use to clean it with? I know that it says a microfibre cloth or a gentle solution, but given that I wasn't sure what exactly is on the glass, I was afraid to use anything.

So how do you guys clean this light (in particular the underside of it)? Any help would be extremely appreciated!
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking View Post
I noticed the smoky film thing as well, and I also noticed that it disappears with fingerprints. The only thing is that now the whole thing is covered with fingerprints. So what can I use to clean it with? I know that it says a microfibre cloth or a gentle solution, but given that I wasn't sure what exactly is on the glass, I was afraid to use anything.

So how do you guys clean this light (in particular the underside of it)? Any help would be extremely appreciated!
I had a lightwedge cover and found the same thing. The only way the anti-glare film on it seemed to disappear was when I had a fingerprint on it or it was wet. I tried everything to remove it permanently, but nothing worked. I askeds online and even spoke to the Sony customer service (who insisted there was no film on it), but never found a solution. In the end, I returned it for refund and get a Mighty Bright clip on light instead.

I wish you the best of luck.