Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
davidjoseph1
Enthusiast
davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Onyx Boox M90, M92 (*3),M96, N96,I86ml,C67ml,Kepler,Poke,Poke2,Nova3
New Adobe DRM and Legacy Onyx Boox firmwares?

Recently Adobe announced changes to their Digital Editions DRM, such that legacy DRM architectures would no longer be supported by Adobe Digital Edtions, and all vendors, equipment manufacturers, and extant products that use Adobe DRM/ Digital Editions would be subject to this change.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...s#.Uu_GhvY6KOM

I have an M92 and approximately forty books (worth ~$1000 together) purchased from Google Play and other bookstores. What is the likelihood that extant onyx boox devices will have new firmwares to support the new DRM architecture? What should I do to make sure I can read my books on a legacy portable device, short of breaking DRM?
davidjoseph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjoseph1 View Post
What should I do to make sure I can read my books on a legacy portable device, short of breaking DRM?
Gently remove it?

EDIT: Just joking. But your old books should keep on working fine on your device. You might be unable to read newly bought ones that have the new DRM if the firmware isn't upgraded to RMSDK 10.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 02-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
davidjoseph1
Enthusiast
davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.davidjoseph1 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Gently remove it?

EDIT: Just joking. But your old books should keep on working fine on your device. You might be unable to read newly bought ones that have the new DRM if the firmware isn't upgraded to RMSDK 10.
Ah, sensei. I have gone through four ereaders in the past two years: 1 M90, 2 white M92s, and my present black M92. (Thank God for credit card purchase protection, let me tell you)

At each failure, I had to reassociate and reload the device with DE - and I am not sanguine about the life expectancy of my present M92 - and wouldn't Adobe's change preclude that from happening in, say, August?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You went through all that and still haven't removed the DRM from your books? You must be one patient guy.

If I remember correctly, your old books should be safe on newer devices running the new RMSDK. But nobody really knows. You might want to check this thread.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjoseph1 View Post
Ah, sensei. I have gone through four ereaders in the past two years: 1 M90, 2 white M92s, and my present black M92. (Thank God for credit card purchase protection, let me tell you)

At each failure, I had to reassociate and reload the device with DE - and I am not sanguine about the life expectancy of my present M92 - and wouldn't Adobe's change preclude that from happening in, say, August?
Sorry for the offtopic, but how did all these readers broke? My M92 broke twice: One under warranty and one (this was my fault) out of it. And that was the end of the road for me.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
davidjoseph1
Enthusiast

I find the 9.7 inch screen Eink screen too useful to give up.

M90 board fried twenty-two months after purchase, right before purchase protection extended warranty would have expired. Good thing, since the American reseller wouldn't do crap for me. First M92 screen-cracked when I held it a bit tightly on the lower right hand quarter, three weeks after purchase. The reader was in its cushion housing. Second M92 slipped out of the housing and fell fourteen inches to the floor, landing on its bottom edge. Screen didn't crack, but the video renderer was shot.Returned. Last one lives in a protfolio case in my briefcase, only unzipped for reading.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
I completely understand you. It's a pity there's so few large ereaders. They must not be profitable enough I guess.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote