Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
conpanbear
conpanbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
<SOLVED> Can't get Panel View in comic?

Hi everyone. Been trying to get this going all night, but I can't get Panel View to work on my Kindle Paperwhite. I imported to the device using Calibre, files in .mobi format.

Double tapping only causes the file to flick forward two pages. I've tried using Calibre to convert to .awz3 and to .pdf; these formats allowed for zooming and panning with double tap, but still not the Panel View I have seen demonstrated in online videos.

I am up to date with version 5.3.1. The comic was the first one of The Walking Dead series, and I know that they are available for purchase in the Amazon store, featuring Panel View capability. Any ideas if there's anything that can be done?

Last edited by conpanbear; 01-06-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Solved
conpanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My only suggestion would be to buy from Amazon, rather than wherever you're buying from at the moment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
conpanbear

I downloaded samples from Amazon, the first vol of The Walking Dead, and Watchmen. Panel view is supposedly supported by both, but Panel View only worked in the Watchmen sample. I'm starting to think it's a lack of quality control on their end, and I have a dialogue going on their Facebook page.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
conpanbear

<SOLVED> In case anyone else has a similar problem, I'll give the conclusion. After some intensive troubleshooting, it seems that The Walking Dead Vol. 1 sample is actually a preview of the Paperback version. Hence, Panel View is not enabled in the preview. However, once purchased, the full version has Panel View.
For some reason, Vol. 2 is a Kindle sample, and has Panel View. However, 15% of the time, the windows don't line up with the images. Overall, this is a formatting issue on Amazon's side, and doing a reset or factory reset your device won't make a difference.
This has all been passed on to the necessary feedback channels, so hopefully these issues will be ironed out, especially before the Paperwhite's release in Japan later this year
Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Calibre conversion does not take into account (apparently) the .opf options to correctly set Panel View: the ebook structure is standard, indeed, and Panel View is only activated upon setting a bunch of <meta> tags when defining .opf, the most important being
Code:
<meta name="book-type" content="comic"/>
So, if you are a little pratical you can do it by yourself, or use some tools like my Kindle Comic Converter to perform conversion on your CBx files.
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert