Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
How to get more space to store ebooks in the cloud

I love the organization I achieve with Calibre, and the fact that I have every ebook I have ever read listed in Calibre. It really helps when I am tempted to buy a book, and check Calibre and see I read it in 2008. (When you are trying to remember if you read the Greek Billionaire's Nanny Demand or the Greek Billionaire's Nanny's Demand, it comes in handy )

Anyway, I have been runing up against space limitations in Dropbox. But I needed to keep all my books in Calibre. What to do?

Calibre allows you to easily set up additional libraries. You can do it by tags, publisher, whatever you usually sort by. I usually sort by Date Added. Yesterday, I set up a new library, called 2010 books. I copied all books I added to Calibre into that library. Then I went back to my main Calibre file, and removed all formats, leaving the metadata in place.

Although the ease of storing ebooks in the cloud was great at first, hearing the issues with Megaupload and running into size issues with my dropbox account, this is the best of both worlds. I can still use my main Calibre library to sort and organize my books, and when I need to find the actual ebook, I just look at the year listed for Calibre, and go there. I need to get myself a really big SD card, thumb drive and backup hard dive. The I can back up 2008 & 2009 and 2010. For now, 2011 and 2012 are staying in my dropbox account, but I can see I will probably be moving those at some point.

This solved a problem I have been having for some time, and hope it is useful to someone else.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Great idea; thanks for posting.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I would just join goodreads and keep track of things that way. No messing around with "clouds" and editing and stuff.

But that is why Calibre is so good, it can do what you make it to do
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Anyway, I have been runing up against space limitations in Dropbox. But I needed to keep all my books in Calibre. What to do?
Good ideas you presented.

FYI. Looking at my dropbox I have 21.8gigs of free space. If you haven't done so yet configure dropbox for camera uploads. I did this by mistake and filled up the free 3gigs they add quickly with photos that already existed. I then simply deleted these photos and removed the config from my computer. The 3gigs of added space is permanent.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Skydrive rents 20G at $10pa - that fits my need and my budget

Dropbox Pro rents 100G for a $120pa that exceeds my need and blows my budget

BTW : Skydrive rents 100G for $50 a year
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Skydrive rents 20G at $10pa - that fits my need and my budget

Dropbox Pro rents 100G for a $120pa that exceeds my need and blows my budget

BTW : Skydrive rents 100G for $50 a year
$90 US gets you a 1T external (USB3) drive and you have full control of your data
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
$90 US gets you a 1T external (USB3) drive and you have full control of your data
But finding a mains power outlet on the bus so you can plug it into your new mini iPad ain't easy. Even if you could your fellow travellers would think that so uncoooool, that they'd defriend and stop following you

I can do you a 2TB WD drive in a vantech U3 case for $HK1005, and a 2 stroke generator for even less. Does the iPad mini have U3, can you run your own MG set on an LA Crosstown bus or on J9 Viennese tram

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But finding a mains power outlet on the bus so you can plug it into your new mini iPad ain't easy. Even if you could your fellow travellers would think that so uncoooool, that they'd defriend and stop following you

I can do you a 2TB WD drive in a vantech U3 case for $HK1005, and a 2 stroke generator for even less. Does the iPad mini have U3, can you run your own MG set on an LA Crosstown bus or on J9 Viennese tram

BR
Good point for the Big drives.
A 500G 2.5" drive runs from the USB port (or jerry up 4 NiCd 'D' cells=5V, to relieve the load on the battery)
BTW Many Commuter Buses and Trains here in the SF Bay area have mains outlets
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BTW Many Commuter Buses and Trains here in the SF Bay area have mains outlets
Trolley cars too?

Walnut Creek to Powell St on the BART was once my daily commute.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Trolley cars too?

Walnut Creek to Powell St on the BART was once my daily commute.
Muni?

I watched BART being Built. The Walnut creek line is fairly recent (BART is 40) and I finally rode it out to Pleasant Hill for a meeting. (Milbrae to downtown is my normal use)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I watched BART being Built. The Walnut creek line is fairly recent (BART is 40) and I finally rode it out to Pleasant Hill for a meeting. (Milbrae to downtown is my normal use)
The Walnut Creek line was actually part of the original BART build....the extension out to Pittsburg came later
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

crazy talk about 1TB or larger drives.

unless I have my zeros messed up , a tiny 250Gb portable drive will hold over 500,000 ebooks ???
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
crazy talk about 1TB or larger drives.

unless I have my zeros messed up , a tiny 250Gb portable drive will hold over 500,000 ebooks ???
No, not *that* many (but still a crazy amount). My Calibre library is 37 GB for 54K books. So with a bit of luck you should be able to squeeze them on a 320 GB
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote