Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ad support on the new Kindles?

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere or belongs in another topic.

Is the new Paperwhite Kindle ad-supported? And if I've already paid to remove ads from another Kindle, is that per user and will that transfer to an new Kindle I register? Thanks!
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere or belongs in another topic.

Is the new Paperwhite Kindle ad-supported? And if I've already paid to remove ads from another Kindle, is that per user and will that transfer to an new Kindle I register? Thanks!
There are both ad-supported and ad-free versions. The difference is USD 20.
No, I am fairly certain it will not transfer. 'Fairly'. Impossible to tell until you get the device... but... no. Very unlikely.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
There are ad supported and non ad support for all of the models.

PW wifi $119, $139
PW 3G $179, $199
Kindle non-touch non-PW $69, $89
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
There are ad supported and non ad support for all of the models.

PW wifi $119, $139
PW 3G $179, $199
Kindle non-touch non-PW $69, $89
It was sneaky they didn't mention this in the press conference.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
As I recall, they didn't last time either.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
As I recall, they didn't last time either.
I thought they did. It's been too long ago for me to remember.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
ucfgrad93 is right. they didn't mention ads in last year's K4/KT announcement either.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle Paperwhite can be ad supported or non-ad supported. It can be 3G or WiFi.

Kindle Fire HD 7 AND 8.9 will have ads for all models: 8 Gb, 16 Gb and 32 Gb. The ads will only display on the locked screen and the lower, left corner of the Menu. It will not display on other screens.

I ordered a non-ad Paperwhite WiFi scheduled for delivery on Oct 11 and a Fire HD 7 with 32 Gb scheduled for delivery on Oct 25.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I like the ads on the Kindle; they're more varied than the usual screensavers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I do not mind the ads on my Kindle three with special offers. They show up when the reader is off and at the bottom of the home screen.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The ads don't bother me at all. Like Harry said - More varied than the regular screensavers, and some have looked really nice.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Kindle Fire HD 7 AND 8.9 will have ads for all models: 8 Gb, 16 Gb and 32 Gb. The ads will only display on the locked screen and the lower, left corner of the Menu. It will not display on other screens.
That's reassuring. Although I didn't think the new Fires would have aggravating adverts, It's nice to know they definitely aren't. Well, it's not a problem for me. OTOH, the ads on Youtube, I find those to be irritating.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Whilst I bought a kindle nt with special offers, I only did so because I know I can upgrade to remove them. There's no way I'll buy a fire if you have no option to remove the ads even though given the choice I would probably get an ad supported one. I just dislike being forced into ads.

Same reason I'd cancel my sat tv if we couldn't fast forward through adverts, even though I tend to watch them more than I skip
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

The idea of SOs is a good one, but not when they change the game after you purchase. I purchased two SO Kindles last year. Afterwards we went from often receiving $5-$20 gift cards with purchases and great deals like that to receiving only local deals from stores we don't shop at and that sell things we wouldn't buy, especially at the inflated prices they wanted. Come on, a small box of cookies for $15 with the deal! And in my case, the local stores were all 20+ miles from my home. In the USA we call that a "bait and switch" and we take a very dim view of that underhanded business practice.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
There is a place on the "Your Account" page to opt out of ads. See where I posted the details here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=190225&page=2
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote