Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2023, 12:18 AM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Got an iPad mini 6

I just bought an iPad mini 6 and really like it for reading and web surfing. My iPad Air 4 (2020, pre-M1] was just too big and heavy for reading what with my arthritis and carpel tunnel syndrome. (It sux being old!) I will use the iPad Air 2020 for spreadsheets and writing and photo editing. Mostly I find myself using the iPad mini 6 though for nearly everything else. With the smart folio case it weighs nearly nothing! I like that the case is held on by magnets so it is easy to remove and install. Way too expensive for a case though…

Last edited by OtinG; 02-11-2023 at 12:21 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:10 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I just bought an iPad mini 6 and really like it for reading and web surfing. My iPad Air 4 (2020, pre-M1] was just too big and heavy for reading what with my arthritis and carpel tunnel syndrome. (It sux being old!) I will use the iPad Air 2020 for spreadsheets and writing and photo editing. Mostly I find myself using the iPad mini 6 though for nearly everything else. With the smart folio case it weighs nearly nothing! I like that the case is held on by magnets so it is easy to remove and install. Way too expensive for a case though…

Which apps do you like to use for reading?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2023, 05:20 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I have an iPad mini 5 I think. It has taken over duties for ereading from my kindle Oasis 3, and my iPad pro 11". It's a bit heavy as I have the otter box cover on it. I had originally bought it for my mother in law to use. She has difficulty speaking and I tried several different text to speech apps to help her communicate, but she never grasped it or didn't have the dexterity to use it. I pretty much just use the kindle app.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Which apps do you like to use for reading?
I only use the Kindle app for reading books. I wish it were a bit more customizable, but I’m heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem when it comes to books.

I use Apple’s Books app for PDFs though.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I have an iPad mini 5 I think. It has taken over duties for ereading from my kindle Oasis 3, and my iPad pro 11". It's a bit heavy as I have the otter box cover on it. I had originally bought it for my mother in law to use. She has difficulty speaking https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MT9G9...t_details&th=1and I tried several different text to https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MT9G9...t_details&th=1speech apps to help her communicate, but she never grasped it or didn't have the dexterity to use it. I pretty much just use the kindle app.
I’ve got an iPad mini 5 too. I’m going to give it to a friend now that I have the iPad mini 6. I have the Otterbox Defender on the 5, and yep that makes it fairly heavy. I realized that I never take my iPad mini 5 outside of home, so I decided to try an Apple Smart Folio on the iPad mini 6 rather than go with the heavy Otterbox Defender. The Apple Smart Folio for the iPad mini 6 is held in place by strong magnets, so it is easy and quick to remove. This is very convenient for when I use my LULULOOK Magnetic Stand for iPad Mini 6 with it as the stand also uses strong magnets to secure the 6.

I also have a Kindle Oasis 3 but I like reading on the iPad mini 6 better.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-15-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Advert
Old 02-20-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have a mini 5 and have been using the mini for reading since Apple released it in 2012. I have tried many devices, Paperwhite, Android tablets, etc. I like the mini best for size, flexibility to jump anywhere on the Internet and the reading apps are better than others. I use Marvin, Mapleread CE, Kindle and keep reference stuff in Apple’s Books. I have not upgraded to iOS 16 as it destroys some of Marvin’s features.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:48 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I have a mini 5 and have been using the mini for reading since Apple released it in 2012. I have tried many devices, Paperwhite, Android tablets, etc. I like the mini best for size, flexibility to jump anywhere on the Internet and the reading apps are better than others. I use Marvin, Mapleread CE, Kindle and keep reference stuff in Apple’s Books. I have not upgraded to iOS 16 as it destroys some of Marvin’s features.
What features of Marvin's does it destroy?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Highlighting for one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Look Up for others.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:54 AM   #10
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Look Up for others.
Thanks, figured it out. Wish I had known before uploading 16, I was too quick to pull the trigger.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #11
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For simple books where I don’t have to look up much I still take Marvin3. Also you can always avoid look up by web search, but it is annoying
But since the scrubber no longer works properly either, I am switching more and more to MapleRead for non-fiction books.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
For simple books where I don’t have to look up much I still take Marvin3. Also you can always avoid look up by web search, but it is annoying
But since the scrubber no longer works properly either, I am switching more and more to MapleRead for non-fiction books.
I wish MapleRead (or any reader app for that matter) supported multiple open documents (available since iPadOS 13). The whole CE/CX thing (same as what Marvin did) is a kludge at best.

It's sad to see so many reading apps like Marvin (Hyphen, tiReader, KyBook, etc) go 'dark' and cease development.

BookFusion looks like something I will be exploring.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I sold mine. i have too many ipads, I still have 3.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:55 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I sold mine. i have too many ipads, I still have 3.
Cannot have too many. I have 4, but one is an iPad Air 2 (security only updates), which I will probably recycle if I cannot figure out what else to do with it. Gave my mom a new iPad to replace it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:15 AM   #15
Wiggo
Leftutti

I find old iPads good as additional monitor for your PC or Laptop

https://www.spacedesk.net/de/