Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Uncle heFTy
Uncle heFTy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting Word to e-boook for mac

Good morning,

Having been castigated (royally and probably with good cause for resurrecting an old thread) I am asking for advice and guidance to the conversion of a Mac based Word 2011 file (in .doc format) to an e-book format. The tome is currently at c.300pp and I'd like to be able to upload it soon.

A supplementary question relates to the use of hyperlinks inside an e-book; vis, is this possible and if so how can it be achieved.

Does anyone know of a course in the N West that deals with e-publishing?

Ta ever so

Uncle H
Uncle heFTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Word 2010 (Windows) can export to HTML. I'm guessing the OS X version can as well. So export it to HTML and use Sigil to turn it into ePub (Sony e-readers, iPad, etc). After, you can convert the ePub to Mobi/PRC (Kindle e-readers).

For PDF, isn't Adobe Acrobat X also available on OS X ? Because on Windows it integrates very well, and you can easily export to PDF.

So you have a choice: PDF, ePub, or Mobi/PRC (converted from ePub).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Uncle heFTy
Uncle heFTy began at the beginning.

Thanks Dspider - I downloaded 'Calibre' and converted my Word Doc to HTM then epub. However, there are some layout problems that I have to sort. I am hoping that I can add hyperlinks and pictures at the HTM stage as well.

I am, almost there on a very long journey and the advice that readers on here are giving will be invaluable.

Thanks

Uncle H
Uncle heFTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Usually a save as filtered HTML and then loading into Sigil is a very good start.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Also note that LibreOffice runs on mac, and has several extensions that are useful for exporting reasonably good xhtml as well as epubs directly.

Namely, the extensions writer2epub, writer2latex, and writer2xhtml (ver 1.1.7 or greater).

If I were doing the conversion, I would start by using LO with Writer2Epub to open the doc file and make an epub directly. If it needed tweaking (e.g. hyperlinks) I would use Sigil to edit the epub itself.

Once the epub is to my liking, I use kindlegen or Calibre to convert the epub to a mobi.

Note that if you want an in-line TOC in your mobi, Calibre will generate it automatically, whereas kindlegen will not.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Wouldn't it be easier to copy and paste the hyperlinks into word before you export rather than manually add them in Sigil later?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote