Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
sjduesey
sjduesey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Index and chapters,

In creating audio books from text files on the Mac I am able with ‘Rogue Amoeba Fission’ to separate out the individual chapters - with iWeb I am able on my web site to form a selectable index to albums of 30/40 pages of photos.

Is there a Mac friendly application out there that will allow me to take a book text file and link the individual chapter headings listed in the index to the start of the corresponding chapter in the text file. I am totally green on the eBook creation side, but would like to start making some for an iPad 2. in uPub format.
sjduesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Workshop forum.

What's "uPub" format? That's a new one on me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
sjduesey
sjduesey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Workshop forum.

What's "uPub" format? That's a new one on me.
OK so you have spotted just how green I am - but you should also note that I am working on a MAC to create an EBOOK to be read on an IPAD - As there are many EBOOKS out there that can be read on an IPAD perhaps you can enlighten me as to what the format is, that these books are created in - that is if you know of course, your contribution hardly seemed worth the effort if you are a knowledgeable eBook Enthusiast. We all have to start somewhere.
sjduesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The first thing to decide is what reading app you want to create books for. You have two basic choices:

Mobipocket format, used by the Kindle App.
ePub format, used by apps such as iBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And you have to be careful. The iBooks program is known to ignore some basic specifications from the ePUB format. On the iPad there are better readers, I have heard.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
You might be better going directly to the ePub forum; there have been several threads there about the quirks in Apples version of ePub.

I don't use it myself, but there is a free editor called Sigil for making ePubs which can be found in the ebook software forum. Many people use it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjduesey View Post
OK so you have spotted just how green I am - but you should also note that I am working on a MAC to create an EBOOK to be read on an IPAD - As there are many EBOOKS out there that can be read on an IPAD perhaps you can enlighten me as to what the format is, that these books are created in - that is if you know of course, your contribution hardly seemed worth the effort if you are a knowledgeable eBook Enthusiast. We all have to start somewhere.
I would like to ask you to be a little more polite. You ask a question and Harry ask a question back. That is a valid question. New formats pop up every now and then and therefore it is not unlikely that there is a format called uPub all over a sudden.
This is a free forum, so don't critize other peoples effort. Your answer may take a while. Most tools are based on Windows, what most people use. The tools on the Mac are limited.
The format you probably want is Apple's version of ePUB. I would suggest take a good look at Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote