Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Pandigital White Question List

I bought the white Pandigital Novel at Kohl's yesterday, though it was quite a battle to get them to honor the $60.00 price, they finally did and threw in a $20.00 cash rebate coupon. It seems they are all now out of the computers and back to the $169.00 price. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it at that price...Being too fearful to root my Nook Color, I figured this would be a more economic toy to practice on. I have researched on line all last evening and today and have a list of questions. With the large group of these sold last week, I would imagine, there are alot of uncertainties about rooting. I found it easy to use an ereader as is, once I learned what it wanted in swiping for page turns. Could someone help with these answers and a good plan to root.
1. Which root is the best to use and what does it do?
2. After rooting, will any apk work?
3. Will the e-reader included still function?
4. Is a file system manager required?
5. Is an apk launcher required?
6. Is a new home screen required?
7. If so, how is it installed?
As I remember from my nephew's Galaxy, Aldiko had a few more user options and would like to use this for reading as it has different background colors for epubs . Also I would like to add an avi player which I have found and a sudoku game and MP3 player.
I have no interest in internet browsing with the Pandigital unless needed to accomplish the installation of the apks.
Could some one help a new rooter accomplish these goals. Thanks
Dixie
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The slatedroid forums have links to an Android only firmware release from pandigital and insructions to loading. Its what I am using to my novel right now while posting.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I've read that, however they tell of nothing to do once it's installed. Not being a geek, I need step by step instructions of each step and what to expect.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
1. Which root is the best to use and what does it do?
2. After rooting, will any apk work?
3. Will the e-reader included still function?
4. Is a file system manager required?
5. Is an apk launcher required?
6. Is a new home screen required?
7. If so, how is it installed?
As I remember from my nephew's Galaxy, Aldiko had a few more user options and would like to use this for reading as it has different background colors for epubs . Also I would like to add an avi player which I have found and a sudoku game and MP3 player.
I have no interest in internet browsing with the Pandigital unless needed to accomplish the installation of the apks.
Could some one help a new rooter accomplish these goals. Thanks
Dixie

I am using the Nchntrmn Experience from the SlateDroid forum. It doesn't change the original function of the PDN, just adds to it. The only "hardware" mod it does is to turn the volume buttons into "Menu/Back" buttons (there are other controls to adjust volume).

I still retain the ability to use the Pandigital Novel in its original ereader incarnation. I gain the option of switching the device over into an Android tablet with a different home screen. I can switch back and forth between the two "devices" at will. The ereader and the B&N store access still works. You can also run different ereaders in the Android tablet incarnation.

I do not have access to the Android Market(place?) specifically, but have access to many sites that carry the same APKs and can load them on the PDN. A lot of places just make their Android applications available on the Android Market (Amazon and Audible, for example) - but - those APKs are now available elsewhere on the net for download to devices that don't have Market accesss.

Not all APKs will work, mainly because they are for a higher version of Android. The white PDN runs Android 2.0, while the black PDN only runs version 1.5. Also, from my experience, some of the APKs out there are designed specifically for cell phone screens, so when you put them on the PDN, they only use a portion of the screen area. Since I don't want to deal with tiny screen images, those APKs get uninstalled from my PDN.

The mod I use already comes with a number of useful APKs preinstalled, including a few file managers and an app launcher, so there's no need to install another one unless there's one out there that you specifically want. The APKs that are preinstalled in the mod I use are sufficient to do most tasks on an Android tablet without adding anything else.

There are a couple of browsers already installed, so you don't have to worry about adding a new home screen for the Android tablet portion. I can play MP3s with a player already installed, ditto for YouTube videos. I can add audiobooks to it if I want.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
(cont'd)

The following APKs were the ones that were preinstalled with the mod I used:

91PandaHome, ACV, AdhocAble for Apad, Adobe Reader,
Adobe eBooks, Advanced Task Manager, Alarm Clock, AndExplorer, Android System Info, AndroPaint Lite,
Apps Installer, Aptoide, AudioManager Console,
Better Keyboard Settings, Blackmoom File Browser,
Bookmarks to SD, Browser, Calculator, Contacts, Dev Tools,
Dolphin Browser HD, Email, ES File Explorer, ES Media Player,
Facebook, Games, Home Switcher, OfficeSuite Pro, PD Alarm,
PD Calendar, PD Initial Setup, PD Media Play Video,
PD MideaPlay, PD PhotoGallery, PD System Setting, Phone,
Set CPU, Settings, Smart Bar, Spare Parts, Sync,
System, Terminal Emulator, WebSharing, WiFi Analyzer, YLib Dictionary, YouTube, yxFlash

The Games included were Solitaire and Linkup.

I've converted movies and played them on the PDN.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I second Xanthe's recommendation of nch's firmware. I believe he recommends the one based off the 9/23 pandigital firmware for people who are not computer savy.

One app you won't be able to run, but might want to is Adobe Reader X (his build comes with Adobe 9). He has another thread with patches. There is one in there that will change your SDK to 8 so that that app will work.

There is a lot going on over at Slatedroid now as they work with the new open platform Android firmwares that pandigital has been posting unofficially, so look for good stuff in the next month or so as these new firmwares get refined by the hackers over there.

But I'd stay away from them for now. Nch's all in one should set you up nicely.

You got a nice bargain at 40 dollars. I think they raised the price back up to 170 to prevent people from doing what I did: take back the machine they bought for 100 dollars or so and return it, and then buy it right back for 60.

Have fun with it. It isn't an iPad, but it's one heck of a bargain. I started off using mine as a PDF reader, but do most of my ePubs on it too now. I like the included reader in night mode.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
dixieknits
Addict

Xanthe and Soondai thankyou so much. From your post it looks like the modification has an installer and file system manager and a couple of media players. Did you install the apk for Aldiko? I"m going to go over there now and look for the mod and work on it tonight. I have a new SD card to use and will read the instructions carefully for openning the back of the machine. I like it's MP3 player with the touch slidebar to advance the book and I've found the ereader easy to operate. The battery life seems much better than my Nook Color, but getting from aplications to menus and settings is awkard. Shouldn't complain at the price , I'm quite happy with it, but then I loved my Augen Book until it got hot and died one night.. Thanks again for your help
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use Nch's firmware there is no need to take the back off your machine. You simply open his main zip file and then move over the zip file that was inside of it (it's a zip within a zip) onto your SD card. I'm no computer whiz and it really is a 10 minute operation.

I have not used alkido, but I think that I've read both over at Slatedroid and on the Pocketbook IQ boards here (basically the same machine) that alkido is tricky to import files into. But I do believe it works.

Good luck. Don't worry about things too much. My understanding is as long as you stick to the firmwares that are NOT based on one of the OP (open platform) FWs you're not in danger of bricking the machine.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
dixieknits
Addict

I've searched through pages and pages of Slateroid's posts and can't find a link for the September download, much less instructions . It's getting late and I'm getting frustrated and am going to search one more time. Thanks, it's good to know I don't have to open it up..
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
soondai
Guru

here's the post with directions:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=5098.0

and the file to the 9/23 k (for Kohls) version from that post:
http://www.timthegeek.net/nchntr/fil...ience_v1.4.zip

the various "official" unofficial firmwares are stickied at the top of this sub-board. his are the lowest maintenance and least buggy. They do not have google market access, though.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?board=77.0

edit:
unless I'm missing, the instructions for flashing aren't there. could have sworn they were. here they are from the wiki. remember you don't put the zip I linked above on the card. extract the zip file linked above and it contains yet another zip file that need to be put on the SD card (and needs to be the only zip file on the card)

http://sld.slatedroid.com/wiki/index...lling_Firmware (the 6 step process at the top)

Last edited by soondai; 01-16-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
I used the zip file titled SD_PDN_5_01_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip that I got from one of the posts at Slatedroid. I put it on an SD card and started up the Pandigital Novel by pressing the volume up button and power on switch simultaneously for several seconds. This loaded the new firmware which retained the original Pandigital functionality plus the Android functionality. It includes the Android Market which works great. You can choose to load either the Pandigital or Android home page with the provided home page switcher. There are other hacked firmware versions at Slatedroid but I am happy with this one.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I did some research on hacking the Novel last week, but haven't actually done it yet....Still playing with my Rooted NookColor.....

I've got a couple of questions
1A) This site seems to explain it really well, and easy.
Is this the best method for full rooting and android market accessible?

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...the-easy-way//
(Trying to follow the Slatedroid thread is a bit confusing)

1B) And use this file from the Slatedroid site?
ver4 (9/23 based) altered firmware link:
SD_PDN_4_01_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: b2fffeb029e256b09a4f5c2bd4b7bd9a

1C) Anyone know what exactly does this supplement provide?
ver4 supplement (run after ver4, non-destructive):
SD_PDN_SUPP10_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 147f58ffb54f88cd751a656da8ccf7e8

2) Should I do any standard Pandigital firmware updates first?

3) Would it matter if I do the Pandigital Novel Android Platform kit update first?
http://www.pandigital.net/android
Would it provide any added features? or just do the one detailed in question 1, and the Pandigital version will just get overwritten anyways?

4) The wife seems to like the standard home screen that the Novel comes with, will this still be an option to use after hacking? For example using Home Switcher from the market?
It's not really mine, but I'm gonna hack it anyway.....just because it can be
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Here is the firmware that I use:

Alternate WPDN Firmware: Modified OP/Stock Hybrid 11/19/10 & 1/11/11 - KG

It is a hybrid firmware based on the stock 11/19 and OP 1/11 firmwares.... plus the 2D/3D Graphics patch, ARM11 optimization and Google Experience and Android Market.

This combination will offer the fastest and most stable firmware/configuration currently available. (including true sleep mode) This is superior to the standard 1/11 OP firmware that I was previously using.

Yes, the original B&N store and reader software (actually all of the original PDN software) is included and works.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 01-17-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: point to the latest and best firmware option
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
soondai
Guru

1A) that is how you flash a firmware. very easy.
1B&C) I have never used the market mods and don't know what various files do.

2) some people on slatedroid recommend flashing the 7/24 version of the Pandigital firmware (to wipe it clean, more or less) before flashing a custom firmware. (I did not)

3) Dunno if it would be harmful. Can't imagine it would add anything. There's an "ask the experts" thread over on slatedroid.

4) any of the firmwares over there that say "OP" or "open platform" do not contain the Pandigital home screen or reader (and maybe other pandigital apps). On the nchntrman thread I linked above, many of the builds are based on the OEM (original pandigital) firmware and contain a homepage switcher that allows you switch between the pandigital home screen and apps and the android page. (he also has "OP" builds). These do not contain market access.

looks like this one:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14033.0

which is based on this one:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=3760.0

offer both market and stock firmware (Pandigital home screen and apps).

Last edited by soondai; 01-16-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
4) any of the firmwares over there that say "OP" or "open platform" do not contain the Pandigital home screen or reader (and maybe other pandigital apps).
ugh, that is not exactly true. The last 3 OP firmware versions released by Pandigital contain the reader And the rest of the default apps.
Have you actually used any of the OP firmwares?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, pandigital, rooting