Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
That's very odd. They sold them to me, no questions asked. Drop them a note explaining your intended use. And while you are at it, note that they've sold the security cases to plenty of non-libraries in the past. They may well change their minds. And if not, well... email is cheap.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Did that, said I was happy to have it without the locking gadget (in case that was the issue) and pointed them to the thread to explain why. The agent did refer it & I got an email not long ago saying she'd got an OK from her supervisior, so hopefully one will be on it's way shortly.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #18
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Additional tip to making the case

Thank RSaunders for the detailed information. I just finished making two cases in less than 10 minutes.

I would like to add one tip to making the case.

The 'metal locking gizmo' can be used instead of being thrown away. You can put it back after rotating it 180 degree. This way, the metal piece provides bit more friction to the latching mechanism preventing the latch from moving too easily.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
activea
activea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Lightbulb

Using the information found here(How To Make a Secret Hollow Book) and after a couple hours of work, i constructed a book case for my Sony PRS-505

Now my device is secure
activea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by activea View Post
Using the information found here(How To Make a Secret Hollow Book) and after a couple hours of work, i constructed a book case for my Sony PRS-505

Now my device is secure
There's another thread on this approach, see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=hollow+book

Thanks for the nice photos.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
In case anyone else reading through the archives decides to do this...

They've changed the design of their case. It no long hinges like a book seen in the pictures in the first post, but hinges at the bottom with the locking mechanism at the top. It is really, really easy to accidentally lock it - thankfully my Fred Meyer uses the same brand of security locks and since I had an empty, open case I was able to bat my eyelashes and get it unlocked. So you want to make sure the little entire locking mechanism stays to the left - when I was monkeying with it after that I put a large wad of duct tape in the space on the right so I couldn't accidentally lock it again.

The metal piece is also no longer quite so easy to get out. I thought I couldn't get it out at all, and resigned myself to it being a waste. Being that, I was trying to pop off the plastic locking mechanism altogether, since I figured if I broke it it wouldn't matter, when I discovered it has just enough give to it to get the metal out. If you take a flathead screwdriver and put it in, then twist it, the plastic will bend enough to create a gap. With a nail file and ten minutes of messing with it later, you should be able to get the metal piece out. I didn't bother trying to flip it over and put it back in like someone else suggested, partly because I didn't know if I could get it back in and partly because I didn't want to test my luck again and mess the whole thing up.

It's a little more time consuming than it looks like it used to be, but it still works well and fits the reader beautifully with the weather stripping. Great idea, and still only costs me about $11.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think it has changed - the original was hinged on the short side too, as was mine from the start of the year.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #23
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
You're right, and it's pretty obvious...the first picture threw me off and I selectively forgot the rest of them.

-feeling silly-

I will say, however, that there was no way to fit anything on mine where the putty knife is in the picture. I had to do it in the middle to the middle-leftish area.

Alright, so I'm a big nerd who's not so good at do-it-yourself.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #24
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Photos to clarify. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
I didn't bother trying to flip it over and put it back in like someone else suggested, partly because I didn't know if I could get it back in and partly because I didn't want to test my luck again and mess the whole thing up.
For those who would like to try this later, I will post photos to clarify how the metal thingy should look like after rotating it.

The first picture shows how I placed the case. Notice the two ventilation holes. The second photo shows the lower part of the first photo in detail. it shows the metal locking gizmo in close up after I rotated it.

Hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case1.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	763.6 KB
ID:	13405   Click image for larger version

Name:	case2.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	13406  
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Disconnect
Disconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Cybook gen3 case? Kinda....

FYI for cybook users, this works pretty well but expect to do a lot more padding (on all sides) - the new "leather" case doesn't fit at all and the cybook rattles around like a penny in a soda can without it. I'm gonna figure something out tonight and see about posting some pics. (Unfortunately they won't be as nice as the previous posters' cuz my camera is dead, so cellphone pics are gonna have to do..)
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
kennyk
kennyk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I just got one in the mail, and stupidly the first thing I did when I opened it was slide the locking lever to the lock position. It doesn't shut, so is there anything I can do to move the lever back?

Edit - Nevermind, I was able to pry it out and I flipped the metal part around like one of the above posters suggested, Works great now! I was thinking of seeing if I could fit some felt to lay underneath the reader instead of using weatherstrip (may look a little better, but maybe not as durable)

Last edited by kennyk; 10-10-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: resolution
kennyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard

The thing with the weatherstrip is the 4mm or so padding that it gives, so maybe a roll/sausage of felt would work...
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The thing with the weatherstrip is the 4mm or so padding that it gives, so maybe a roll/sausage of felt would work...
I've had the same thoughts. If Santa brings a 700 this year it seems like the best way forward. More craft skills would be needed, , but a piece of fabric rolled up to fill the end and side gaps would be the solution.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I took your idea and modified it for my wife's reader. I got a couple cheap picture 'frames' from the local Walgreen's that are essentially polycarbonate boxes with a carboard box that goes into it. I measured and cut the sides down to just about 1/2" and cut the end off of one and both ends off the other. I then put some adhesive foam pads from the Dollar store on the inside and used clear packing tape to seal the entire thing together to make a rigid polycarbonate box that is open on one end. I basically made a very rigid slipcover for the reader. It fits very nicely into an Oriental-style satin bag from Target's dollar section to make a very pretty yet protective hardcase.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #30
RSaunders
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I took your idea and modified it for my wife's reader. {snip} I basically made a very rigid slipcover for the reader. It fits very nicely into an Oriental-style satin bag from Target's dollar section to make a very pretty yet protective hardcase.
That sounds very interesting, and compact. Perhaps you can grace us with a couple of pictures??