Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #106
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
hharan, do I have to root again to try the file manager? Or since it works with the stock launcher can I install it unrooted?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #107
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
hharan, do I have to root again to try the file manager? Or since it works with the stock launcher can I install it unrooted?
You need to be rooted. It works with the stock launcher, but you can't install anything on the stock device. It's a nice app because some people root and still want to use the stock homescreen by default.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #108
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You need to be rooted. It works with the stock launcher, but you can't install anything on the stock device. It's a nice app because some people root and still want to use the stock homescreen by default.
Me, me, me! I want to use the stock homescreen, so it sounds perfect for me.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #109
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Different Roots for Nook?

I've been reading a lot of about rooting my Nook Color and I did it successfully last week. Only I am seeing there apparently are different levels of rooting your Nook.

Basically what I have is Android Market and a few other goodies. I am taking it this is not the level of rooting I need to be at to get to the system folder for example to delete those "pesky" user guides and to be able to move my 'own' books to the front panels.

Is this correct and if so what method are you using to root to that I am not. Mine was fairly easy with AutoNooter 3.0 and using a microSD card and an img file.

It appears from Explorer I am not seeing any more folders than came with the Nook Color.

Thank you.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #110
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
that is all you need to do to your nookcolor but to install as per the instructions you need to have ADB installed on your PC

see here
http://nookdevs.com/ADB_Over_USB
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #111
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

A bit overwhelmed

I appreciate the tip. I started this journey to adb and now I end up going from link to link. In trying to install ADB one link after another pointed me to another.

One link said ADB on the NookColor was done best by doing wireless. So I went to the Market and installed it. From the cmd prompt I type adb connect xxx.xxx.x.xxx:5555 and I get adb is not a recognized command.

So I install IOMonster's Easy NookColor USB ADB Driver Pack and still nothing happens. That method seemed to indicate I needed to hook my USB cable up. I did, but again it doesn't recognize the command.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #112
Themus
Zealot

Progress. I have successful installed wireless adb. And I am trying to install the application nookColorFileManager.apk. Where does this file have to be for it to install via the dos prompt command adb install nookColorFileManager.apk?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #113
Themus
Zealot

More Progress

I have it installed. For those like me who didn't have a clue, here's what you do.

Go to the Market Place and download adbWireless.

Download from the internet Easy NookColor USB ADB Driver Pack.

Install the driver pack per the readme file.

Start up the adbwireless application and note IP address.

At a Dos prompt, enter adb connect IP_address:5555

It should say connected.

Next install application via adb install "filename.apk"

Should come back with success.

--Now I just have to figure out how to launch it. Stay tuned.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #114
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
you have to reboot nook after install for the apps to show up in extras.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #115
Themus
Zealot

Thank you hharan. I have it working now. I've worked on this so long today I am not remembering. Was it you who said there was a way with your application to delete the B&N User Guides. I found out how to delete the covers for them. It seems someone mentioned a system directory, but I only see 7 directories. .adobe, .docthumbs, .kdebug, B&N Downloads, Digital Editions, Lost.Dir and My Files.

I appreciate your patience. I hope I can help others too in the future.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #116
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
not me. Someone else mentioned it in this thread. Those 2 files are under /system/media/books. You will have to delete them via adb shell and reboot nook to remove them.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #117
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

download the app "root explorer" it will show more directories. It's the program I used to delete those damn guides
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #118
Themus
Zealot

Thank you. I was getting a permissions error.

/system/media/books: permission denied
Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #119
iandix
Addict

in root explorer, you you will see a little grey box at the top with "mount R/W" tap on that and change it to "Mount R/O" that will give you permission in that directory
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #120
Themus
Zealot

Is rooted explorer same as root explorer. I am so close I can taste it.

I have it installed, and you are on the money. They are r/w. I am not seeing though the mount option. I have and left green arrow, a house, toolbox, three check marks, and Information and ? tab.

So I wonder if I have the same version you have suggested.