Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
Dirk2718
Enthusiast
Dirk2718 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Touch (5.1.0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
If anyone else is interested in working with me on this, it would be much appreciated.
I would be interessted, but I have no experience with Java, so I would be no help at all. But if you´re searching for a Beta-Tester, you can bet on me.

Currently I´m trying the FolderToggle without reboot. I´d like to see how often I can toggle until the refresh is not suficient.

Best regards
Dirk
Dirk2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #32
Dirk2718
Enthusiast
Dirk2718 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Touch (5.1.0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk2718 View Post
Currently I´m trying the FolderToggle without reboot. I´d like to see how often I can toggle until the refresh is not suficient.
Until now, I have no problems without the reboot. The folders toggle every time.

Additionally I manually added my idea to the kindle by adding a command to the Search Bar Shortcuts, which works very well.

Best regards
Dirk
Dirk2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #33
jasonli.job
jasonli.job began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch Wifi 5.1.0
Some question on the Toggle function

First, I would like to thanks Dirk2718 and vaniaspeedy, you guys are really good at programming. I really appreciate your work. Keep on the good work!

1)I'm not sure if the Toggle function is like a sub-folder function in windows explorer, that allows us to show/hide some documents?

2)I have met some problems on the debug files (and the original, too). It makes my Kindle restart when I click on it. (should I create a new debug file, or change the .sh file?)
I'm not sure how it works, should I edit the config file in profile 1? I add some file name from the books, but fail to hide it. (i.e. nothing change)

Thanks
jasonli.job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonli.job View Post
First, I would like to thanks Dirk2718 and vaniaspeedy, you guys are really good at programming. I really appreciate your work. Keep on the good work!
Thanks, it's always nice to see that our work is useful to others!

Quote:
1)I'm not sure if the Toggle function is like a sub-folder function in windows explorer, that allows us to show/hide some documents?
If you look at the source you'll see that all this script does is move your books from /documents into /.hidden. Since the scope of the kindle is limited to the documents folder, this allows us to make them "disappear" on the device. By prefixing a dot in front of "hidden", this also hides the folder on your PC (for most standard users).

Quote:
2)I have met some problems on the debug files (and the original, too). It makes my Kindle restart when I click on it. (should I create a new debug file, or change the .sh file?)
The debug files should not be appearing on your device. You don't need to do anything with them, feel free to delete them. However, do not touch the files in the extensions folder.

Quote:
I'm not sure how it works, should I edit the config file in profile 1? I add some file name from the books, but fail to hide it. (i.e. nothing change)
In the config file for profile 1, just add the names of the directories containing the books you wish to hide, and then try the toggle.

If you have any difficulties let me know, I'll do my best to help!
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #35
jasonli.job
jasonli.job began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch Wifi 5.1.0
Thumbs down questions on the profile

Hi, I have installed the Toggle, but there are few problems, can you help me to solve this?
1.Should the files need to be hide are typed into the config file of profile1 or profile 2? If so,what is the format and link of each document typing into it(For example,i want to hide a document call A.pdf in file B od documents)?

2.How should the debug file posted be used? Replace the original 'hide' file in profile 1 or save as another file? Is it only applicable to profile1 or both?

Thanks, I always appreciate your good work. How's the "new" version, going on? Will you release in July?

jasonli.job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonli.job View Post
Hi, I have installed the Toggle, but there are few problems, can you help me to solve this?
1.Should the files need to be hide are typed into the config file of profile1 or profile 2? If so,what is the format and link of each document typing into it(For example,i want to hide a document call A.pdf in file B od documents)?
If you have a folder called "HIDDEN" , with books in it, then just type "HIDDEN" (without the quotes) into the first line of the config file.
If you have a document you want to hide, called A.pdf, then put it into a folder and add the name of the folder to the config file, as mentioned above. The script doesn't currently support individual files, since IMHO there should never be book files in the root documents folder, since it clutters up the folder. I might add this feature eventually. Meanwhile you can go to line 36 of hide.sh, and replace this:
Code:
    elif [ ! -d $1 ] #folder doesn't exist, quit
with this:
Code:
    elif [ ! -e $1 ] #folder doesn't exist, quit
Notice the change from "d" to "e"

Quote:
2.How should the debug file posted be used? Replace the original 'hide' file in profile 1 or save as another file? Is it only applicable to profile1 or both?
Make a backup of the original hide and then replace it with the debugger script, also naming it hide.sh . The debugger creates a file called hide_profile_1_debug in the root of your kindle, you can take a look at it or send it to me if you have problems.

Quote:
Thanks, I always appreciate your good work. How's the "new" version, going on? Will you release in July?
I'm not working on a new version, since this current one meets my goals. Is there anything specific you'd like to see added?
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Just a note for Kindle Touch users:

I just released Collections Manager, which also allows to hide items. In combination with the JBPatch password protection, that should cover most of the privacy aspects for Kindle Touch users.

It also has the advantage that it doesn't change any files or directories, thus not messing with the full-text index or requiring re-indexing of moved files. I just tried and verified that files which are hidden from the home directory (using Collections Manager) do not show up in search results either - how cool is that?

Sorry for the blatant advertising
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonny View Post
Argh, this looks useful but I can't get it to work on my KT for some reason. Here's where I'm at:

I have a folder "FolderToggle" in the extensions folder, and inside are folders "profile1" and "profile2", with a config file and two sh scripts, show.sh and hide.sh. I have "Home Folder" (no quotes) in the first line of the config file in the folder "profile1"

I have a folder called "Home Folder" in documents, with a book inside that I want to show and hide. I'm not familiar with the Kindle and what constitutes a "Book" but I've moved both the folder for a book and what seems to be an associated .azw file for that book into the "Home Folder" directory.

I have not edited the menu.json file at all.

The Launcher menu has been installed and does work with other hacks such as the orientation hack.

When I go to Launcher/Profiles/Hide Profile 1 Nothing happens. When I go to "Show Profile 1" the KT reboots.

I'm totally unfamiliar with the KT and it's file structure so it's probably something stupid I'm doing (or not doing!).
Any suggestions?

[root@kindle profile2]# busybox ash ./hide.sh
Quote:
calling for Special

Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Wed Feb 6 20:50:16 2013):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

there's your reboot... see if I can pin it down..
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not gonna support this for now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=6

Till it gets solid
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #40
thisisjohn
thisisjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
Ok, so looking at the debug I see that it runs and finds your folder with books, and it find the Home Books folder as well, but for some strange reason the actual move and hide functions are never called. In theory, after it lists all of the files it should say "Calling hide function for {file_name_here}", and then display exit status of the function. I will look into this, but at the moment I'm stumped. I'm not quite sure how to duplicate this problem, since it works fine on my kindle, and I haven't modified it in any serious way.

Does anyone else have any ideas? ejonny, thank you for the debug log, I'll see what I can do.
The reason could be that those trying it edited the config file using Windows Notepad. This will create a config file in which each line will end with CRLF (0D0A) and not just LF (0A) as your hide.sh code seems to expect.

I got it working using the Hex editor XVI32 when editing the config file
thisisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #41
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisjohn View Post
The reason could be that those trying it edited the config file using Windows Notepad. This will create a config file in which each line will end with CRLF (0D0A) and not just LF (0A) as your hide.sh code seems to expect.

I got it working using the Hex editor XVI32 when editing the config file
The weird thing was. it wasn't consistently repeatable in the tests I did.

Happy to retest if this is widely used.

Tags
folder, gui, hiding, toggle, yifanlu