Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #406
gafortiby
gafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook simple touch
I just want to add that I find Google's free Spectral font to be amazing. Like Bookerly, it was designed to for screen reading. Unfortunately it renders a bit too thin on Kobo screens. Which is odd because it renders nicely on Nook screens.

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Spectral

Last edited by gafortiby; 09-11-2018 at 01:51 PM.
gafortiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #407
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafortiby View Post
I just want to add that I find Google's free Spectral font to be amazing. Like Bookerly, it was designed to for screen reading. Unfortunately it renders a bit too thin on Kobo screens. Which is odd because it renders nicely on Nook screens.

Use the Medium and Medium-Italic for Regular and Italic and the bold variations for bold. That should solve the problem of being too thin. of if that's not working, use the Semi-Bold and Extra-Bold versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #408
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafortiby View Post

Thank you for the link. I loaded it on my Clara and it looks fine just increasing the thickness (but you need to patch for this).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #409
gafortiby
gafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you for the link. I loaded it on my Clara and it looks fine just increasing the thickness (but you need to patch for this).
Yes! i used the patch to increase weight and it looks great.
gafortiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #410
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, this is a pretty strange font that supposidly helps the brain retain the information read. If true, it may be helpful while reading non-fiction.

Maybe some of you font experts know how to make it e-ink/kobo friendly?

http://sansforgetica.rmit/
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #411
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, this is a pretty strange font that supposidly helps the brain retain the information read. If true, it may be helpful while reading non-fiction.

Maybe some of you font experts know how to make it e-ink/kobo friendly?

http://sansforgetica.rmit/
The articles I've read about this font, the creators specifically said they would not recommend putting an entire book in it, just key phrases and passges that were deemed worthy of special remembrance. Like a "highlight" font.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #412
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM   #413
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@JeanPierre, could you share the Literata Book fonts you got through Kobify Fonts? Thank you!
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #414
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
@JeanPierre, could you share the Literata Book fonts you got through Kobify Fonts? Thank you!
Hi hfpop,

Please find the font attached, as requested.

For your information, below is the command I executed in the command line to produce the attached ttf fonts.

Code:
python KoboifyFonts-0.3.1.py -r ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook.otf -i ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-Italic.otf -b ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-Bold.otf -B ../fonts/raw/LiterataBook-BoldItalic.otf -s -k -p -d ./out/ 'Literata Book'
Once again, the input otf files used were obtained from https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book. It includes regular, medium, semibold and bold weights of the standard and italic Literata Book typeface. You could experiment with setting different weights for the regular and bold inputs to the KoboifyFonts scripts if you want to get a different balance to the regular and bold font weights, though I've observed some aberrations with my own experiments with this and find the standard balance to be spot on.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Literata-Book.zip (1.82 MB, 756 views)

Last edited by JeanPierre; 01-25-2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Removed the version which included semibold as bold, due to aberrations in vertical letter alignment of vowels.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #415
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How can I tell which of all of these fonts have ligatures? I'm not a font expert, but I want to find a good reading font that will typeset well with KFX files.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #416
JeanPierre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
How can I tell which of all of these fonts have ligatures? I'm not a font expert, but I want to find a good reading font that will typeset well with KFX files.
I examined the fonts using FontForge. Once opened within, you can navigate the menu as follows to examine ligatures, kern pairs, and anchored pairs: View > Combinations.

When establishing whether kerning and ligatures have been displayed correctly on my Kobo reader I look at specific letter combinations. With Literata Book—my font of choice–I proceed for ligatures by looking for for the tell-tale fi, fl and ff combinations. To check kerning is working correctly, I find the most obvious combinations to be a capitalised W or Y followed by a lowercase letter as in "York" or "Word". When kerning is working correctly, you can see the rightmost part of the Y or W overhanging the lowercase letter.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #417
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
You would be better to ask that question in the Kindle forums. It isn't just the font, but the renderer that needs to be considered. The KFX renderer will be different from either of the renderers that Kobo uses.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #418
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.
For my tastes, Literata and Literata Book are annoying to read with. If nothing else, look at a "The". For me, the ascender height is too much larger than the cap height (the h sticks too far above the top of the T in my example) and the ascender heights are uneven— the “b”, “d”, “f”, “h”, “k”, “l” and “t” should have the same height (use the to see this effect).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #419
nkluan
nkluan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation, Kobo Forma
Hi everyone,

I notice a strange problem when I use Chareink font for Vietnamese book. Please refer to the two attached image.

At the bottom of the screen
Spoiler:
you will see a mark (which I wrapped in red circle)

That mark is the diacritic of some Vietnamese words in the first sentence of the next page
Spoiler:

The problem does not exist where system fonts and other sideloaded font (Booklerly, EB Garamond or ChariSIL...) are uses.

Can anyone help me ? I really like ChareInk and want to use it for my books.

Last edited by nkluan; 10-19-2019 at 12:48 AM.
nkluan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #420
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
It seems pretty clear that your reader is hiding a line of text each behind the header and the footer. But I have no idea why it would do that only with one font. Have you tried changing the line height?

[And your images seem to be too large. Better make them smaller or put them in spoiler tags before a mod deletes them....]
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote