Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
New firmware coming out any time soon

The last Kobo firmware came out in early December, nearly 3 1/2 months ago. Seems like a long time since they released a new version. Anyone got an info on when an update can be expected ot what might be in it?
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
If it ain't broke....
Calenorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Except aspects are buggy and the home screen 2/3rds wasted compared to older version.

However they will add some pretty feature, some marketing related feature and leave bugs and annoying features largely unchanged, going by past experience. Maybe even they'll create a new bug.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
If it ain't broke....
...then break it again .
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 AM   #5
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/105 - Try this
I think that this is probably version 4.13
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Only niggling issue I have with my 1st gen Kobo Aura is that the pop-up for adjusting the brightness doesn't reflect the current level. Other than that, no complaints.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post
http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/105 - Try this
I think that this is probably version 4.13
I don't think so.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to check these two items: Rakuten and PChome Enter into Alliance Agreement and Two e-commerce companies in Taiwan, Japan form alliance.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-23-2019 at 11:41 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I don't think so.
Why don't you think so? The release notes for 4.12.12111 where the same root URL but ending in numbers from 98 to 101. We now have 102 to 105. The formatting is consistent with previous release notes. The only problem I can see is there is an extra line of text in the 102 notes that probably shouldn't be there. Putting these up might be the first step in preparing a release. Though someone might have jumped the gun a bit.

Of course, now I have to try downloading a book from the Internet Archive and see what the issue is. And it leaves me wondering what the most common crash is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #10
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why don't you think so? The release notes for 4.12.12111 where the same root URL but ending in numbers from 98 to 101. We now have 102 to 105. The formatting is consistent with previous release notes. The only problem I can see is there is an extra line of text in the 102 notes that probably shouldn't be there. Putting these up might be the first step in preparing a release. Though someone might have jumped the gun a bit.

Of course, now I have to try downloading a book from the Internet Archive and see what the issue is. And it leaves me wondering what the most common crash is.
perhaps like me all they get is a blank screen.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
perhaps like me all they get is a blank screen.
It would be useful to know when you get the blank screen. There are three things I referred to, any could be the reason. My first thought was that you were probably referring to the Internet Archive download. But, checking the link supplied above again, it is now just a blank page. At the time I made my earlier post, it showed something that looked like the Kobo firmware release notes. They've probably noticed and cleaned it up. Whether they were real or not, I don't know. But the first point in the list, might be related to the two link DNSB posted.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 AM   #12
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
It would be useful to know when you get the blank screen. There are three things I referred to, any could be the reason. My first thought was that you were probably referring to the Internet Archive download. But, checking the link supplied above again, it is now just a blank page. At the time I made my earlier post, it showed something that looked like the Kobo firmware release notes. They've probably noticed and cleaned it up. Whether they were real or not, I don't know. But the first point in the list, might be related to the two link DNSB posted.
my apologises i should have typed blank page instead of blank screen.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #13
lel24

In response to davidfor's post, I think that these release notes were genuine. I successfully used this technique to access the 4.8 release notes two weeks early.

My theory as to why the notes have been taken down is that Kobo either noticed an increase in traffic on the page, or the have sen this discussion.

I think the main feature of this update was to add the ability to connect to any wireless network regardless of whether the kobo could "phone home".
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post
In response to davidfor's post, I think that these release notes were genuine. I successfully used this technique to access the 4.8 release notes two weeks early.

My theory as to why the notes have been taken down is that Kobo either noticed an increase in traffic on the page, or the have sen this discussion.
Probably something like that. Plus one had some extra text on it.
Quote:
I think the main feature of this update was to add the ability to connect to any wireless network regardless of whether the kobo could "phone home".
Somehow I think adding a new interface language is a bigger deal than that. Of course, that isn't something that most current users are interested in.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
lel24

Quote:
Probably something like that. Plus one had some extra text on it.

Somehow I think adding a new interface language is a bigger deal than that. Of course, that isn't something that most current users are interested in.
Edit: Sorry about spelling mistakes, using virtual keyboard

Yes, that's a good point about the new language. On a side note, have you any idea about what the extra writing said? Also, do you have any idea as to why kobo requires three copies of the (usually) same text? I'm assuming that they use different sizes for different models, or perhaps to support large print mode.

I think that release notes are stored in advance on the server because the beta group (beta.kobo.com) tests them a week or two in advance. I believe this is used with the with the AcceptPreviewUpgrades option in the config file.

Last edited by lel24; 03-24-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fix typos