Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Goodbye, Iowan...

Wow, I really loved that font in Apple Books, since it included true small caps and was really easy to read as well, but today I opened up a book and it was GONE.

I didn't even see any update for Apple Books, it was just a here today, gone tomorrow deal.

I will miss it. Was fun to see proper small caps in books.

Wish I could find a copy for my Kobo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I just checked and Iowan is still a font option in my Books app. I checked to see if an update for Books was available, but it appears to be up to date. See attached. I guess it is possible that an update just hasn’t rolled in my direction yet. I rarely use Books, so this was the first time I’ve used it for an ePub in a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E7F16FC-0AFA-4112-96B2-0AEF60B14E74.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	170345  

Last edited by OtinG; 03-22-2019 at 09:33 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I just checked and Iowan is still a font option in my Books app. I checked to see if an update for Books was available, but it appears to be up to date. See attached. I guess it is possible that an update just hasn’t rolled in my direction yet. I rarely use Books, so this was the first time I’ve used it for an ePub in a long time.

OK, this is really weird!

Earlier today, I had no Iowan, but it is back again! I hope it stays!

I don't generally read much on my iPad, but I do check epubs I am making for myself quite frequently, to see if they are performing correctly.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sometimes it depends on the book. If the publisher specifies a set of fonts to use with the ePub then you might not be able to select any fonts but those. The book I used for my screen capture had specified justification for sentences and I was unable to change that in Books. IMO, the best eBooks are those with the fewest publisher specified formatting options since that allows us to select the formatting options we prefer. But some publishers still have a printed book mentality and specify the formatting options.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Sometimes it depends on the book. If the publisher specifies a set of fonts to use with the ePub then you might not be able to select any fonts but those. The book I used for my screen capture had specified justification for sentences and I was unable to change that in Books. IMO, the best eBooks are those with the fewest publisher specified formatting options since that allows us to select the formatting options we prefer. But some publishers still have a printed book mentality and specify the formatting options.
Thats part of the reason I keep using apps which let me disable publisher styling. I've been using Hyphen for ages now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thats part of the reason I keep using apps which let me disable publisher styling. I've been using Hyphen for ages now.
Always nice to have that option available. Way back several years ago I use to strip away the bad stuff from ebook files so that I could modify the formatting, sometimes drastically modify it, just to make it easier to read. That was when we didn't have that great of resolution or pixel density on our reading devices and when publishers were still formatting ebooks like they were print books. That is, you get what we give you kind of attitude. I'm sure glad those days are mostly over with. Now a days most devices have really good resolution and pixel density which makes it easier on my old eyes. Plus most ebooks I buy these days seem to have the ability to format them without jumping through hoops, so to speak. And most reading apps allow for using quite a few different fonts. I haven't had to modify a Kindle book in many years now. I prefer not to spend all that time making modifications, so I'm glad the times are changing for the better. But there are still some older books that cannot be modified without some unmentionable processes, and there are still some books that don't have flowing text. Thankfully I haven't encountered any in quite a while.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:

Maybe that's it!

I was actually a bit worried, my iPad has developed these light blobs at the bottom (when held vertically) that show up sometimes, was wondering if the whole darn tablet was starting to malfunction after the font disappearing thing, but this makes sense!

I'm just glad to see they haven't taken away my favorite font. I only read occasionally on my iPad, but I just love this font for that.

I agree that it's best if publishers don't specify too much for formatting. Hate the ones that specify giant margins in particular! So annoying!