Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
elliebeans
elliebeans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, 1st Gen
How to upload Calibre Library to iPad Mini (1st Gen)?

Hey!

Newbie here with a panic question. Haha, I have been browsing this forum trying to search for answers so I truly apologise if I may have used the wrong post or even sectione. I am still very confused... Haha

Okay, back to the question.

I am using an iPad Mini (1st Gen) on Windows. Having had my fair share of difference with the whole Apple/Windows problem where things don't work as well, my iPad is not as new or up to date.

So it was to my surprise when I brushed the dust of my iTunes that I found out that iTunes doesn't connect to iBooks anymore when connecting your iPad. For Windows at least. Needless to say the whole process of going to Calibre and sending things to "my device" or "my iTunes" doesn't work anymore.

Now that leads to my question, what do I do? I have found out that my iBooks loads super slow, because probably its so old, but I found a Bluefire Reader app as an alternative. Needless to say, I still have to now manually go through my Calibre FOLDER to find which books I want and it is so long and tedious because not going to lie, I have a major bunch of books because I went on a happy downloading spree a last year.

Calibre Companion or whatever the online server thing is call (where you have to use your IP) doesn't seem to load in the Safari browser of my iPad and the instructions make me very confused... Haha, can anybody please help me?

I just want to browse and see which books I want in my Calibre Library (desktop software) and upload from there. Does that still work? Is there a app that will let me do that on my little old iPad?

Last edited by elliebeans; 01-24-2019 at 02:40 PM.
elliebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I think you're probably referring to the Calibre content server.

The Apple subforum is better suited for your post. More likely to get more advice there. Perhaps you can request the mods to move it there.

Calibre Companion is an app for iOS and Android designed to help you transfer ebooks from Calibre to your mobile device. I recommend giving it a try.

That said, if you only have a 1st gen Mini (max iOS version 9.3.5), why not install an older version of iTunes that still has iBooks support?
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
elliebeans

Thank you for the advice @ilovejedd. I will try to get mod to move my post.

I saw Calibre Companion. I was actually pretty keen to get it but I haven't set up my billing stuff yet for Apple so I rather not go through the fight. Haha Does that even make sense?

The older version of iTunes idea is great though, thanks!! I will definitely try that.

Edit: Can you please point me in the direction of a mod? Haha

Last edited by elliebeans; 01-24-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved from Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
elliebeans

Thank you so much!
Old 01-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
elliebeans

I hope this isn't against the rules by writing again but I would like to add that as per @ilovejedd suggestion, I downloaded the old iTunes that now allows me to see my iBooks however I realised now Calibre doesn't have the "Connect to iTunes" button. Is this just an endless problem for me? I might as well manually search for the books I want. Haha
Old 01-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Install an older version of calibre: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/3.html
I guess calibre 3.7.0 or 3.8.0 was the version that got "send to itunes" function removed, you can install any version older than 3.7.0 and you're good to go.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 AM   #8
elliebeans

Why didn't I think of that? Oh wow, thanks! Everything is working so well right now, according to how it was before Apple decided to be complicated. Hahaha
Old 04-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
karl1c
Connoisseur
karl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: iPad
I’ve synced my 600 Calibre books (and their data) to KyBook 3. Not sure whether it supports iPad Mini first gen though.
karl1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl1c View Post
I’ve synced my 600 Calibre books (and their data) to KyBook 3. Not sure whether it supports iPad Mini first gen though.
KyBook 3 has iOS 11 minimum. Iirc, 1st gen mini had Apple A5 and Apple dropped support on those after iOS 9.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote