Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Firmware upgrade for Aussies

I emailed and got confirmations that I was registered for the early access program and since then - nada.
I opened up the border desktop app for the first time since I first bought the device and synched it and still - nada
When do I get to upgrade and change my font sizes? Even though I am loathe to lose my bookcover 'screen saver'
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
I emailed and got confirmations that I was registered for the early access program and since then - nada.
I opened up the border desktop app for the first time since I first bought the device and synched it and still - nada
When do I get to upgrade and change my font sizes? Even though I am loathe to lose my bookcover 'screen saver'
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes country versions
of that application special? The way they connect to
online book store (and physical location) or something else?

If not related, one version fits all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
BBel
Enthusiast

Hmm, fair point, hadn't thought of it along those lines, I just know the kobo people were releasing the upgrade regionally and as I've not received a single email or anything figure I'm not on the list yet.. If poss I'd prefer to do the upgrade 'officially' rather than from a link, probably seems silly, am open to scorn.

As an aside, my mum has a kobo, is loving it but is a technical nufty, how on earth would someone like her know how to manage a library or more importantly know that an upgrade is available??
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
BBel, Borders are doing their best with their current customer service and it seems like they are still as good at it as when they started (i.e. they are USELESS). Unlike what the comment is below it is a new version of the app (I cant test as I already upgraded my Kobo).

You can find the borders post at this site http://bordersau.zendesk.com/home (its borders helpdesk). Unlike the comment in the thread its a new version of the app because after installing it my NOD32 detected a change in the program and threw an alert (its safe to instal, it just notes when programs have been changed).

Zoran, the only difference I can see between the Kobo desktop and the Borders desktop (apart from the branding) is that they connect to different bookstores. They are pretty well the same thing apart from that.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Actually I tried to update using the link that had been supplied on a few threads here and had problems. When I contacted the help desk they specifically told me that my problems were due to me using the upgrade that was for overseas use and not the Australian upgrade. I know that there are several Aussies who sucessfully used the overseas one but I wasn't one of them. I'm not going to pretend to understand why.

Anyway I have just used the link posted by roguefan99 and it worked. Looks like the Australian upgrade is finally here.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
cynicalgamer
cynicalgamer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo
I used the link posted by roguefan99 this morning and the update bricked my Kobo. This was not the link's fault but the update.

After going through the firmware installation process the Kobo got to the reboot point where I had to disconnect it from the computer and allow the system to reboot and it became frozen on the boot screen and was completely unresponsive.

After talking to Kobo Support this morning on the phone they basically told me that this was a common problem with the Kobo and that I should ask for my money back or a replacement from Borders.

I spoke to borders online this morning and went through the issue. They said that they haven't come across this problem yet and put me through to their tech support.

Borders Online tech support was excellent. They were very professional and supportive. I was extremely happy with the service that I received from them.

I did not want to get my money back, even though I had only had the Kobo for four days and had to wait 4 weeks to receive it.
cynicalgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
What a pain - especially after waiting so long to get it in the first place.
It's a difficult decision to upgrade or not. I had major issues with my first Kobo having to recharge 5 times in the week before I returned it.
My second kobo is better but I was still having to recharge every 2 or 3 days. I also had some font issues that I couldn't resolve in Calibre due to DRM issues so the upgrade was looking better and better.
I really needed to get closer to a week out of a charge and being able to actually read the books I buy (without a magnifier) is very nice.
My first go a week ago didn't work but I was still able to cancel the upgrade and go back to the original firmwear. That gave me the confidence to try again but I have to say the whole time I was doing it I was worried that I was going to brick it. The "moment" at the end (actually about 2 to 3 minutes) felt like HOURS!
I really hope you're back reading again soon. Good luck.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
cynicalgamer

Thanks. I don't believe I will have to wait as long with the replacement. Will post and let you know how long it takes them.

I actually own an IT business and am used to the firmware process with different products. I have to say that the Kobo firmware update process is a little more involved than other devices. I can understand why it would be daunting for others to proceed with it.

I had done a lot of reading online while waiting for my Kobo to arrive and was well aware of the potential issues with the process. I think the statements made by one of the Kobo representatives in the media about the problems they have detected with the longevity of the battery (as in overall life not recharge lifetime) are reasons enough to apply the update.

Hopefully, the process will go better for me next time :-)
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
BBel
Enthusiast

What happens if the upgrade bricks my kobo and I bought it well over a month ago and no longer have the receipt (although it may be somewhere around here..) is Borders still likely to exchange it for me????
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #10
cynicalgamer

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There is a warranty associated with the product and, considering, they are encouraging users to upgrade then they are going to offer a good deal of support for it. It is in their interests not to create a lot of unhappy customers because this will affect their repeat business from these people and the word-of-mouth advertising that they want to create in order to sell more product.

Go through the process exactly as outlined through the software and you should be fine.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
I just got my early access email. Here is the link to download the Australian borders software upgrade. After installing the Borders software, the first time you plug your kobo in it will prompt you to upgrade the firmware.

Worked fine for me, but I accept no responsibility if you brick your eReader.

Note that this is the Australian update. So unless you bought your kobo at Borders Australia, you should NOT install the update using these links.

Quote:
To download the software update, click on one of the following links:

PC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../KoboSetup.exe

MAC users: http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../KoboSetup.dmg

Thanks for your help and support which is invaluable to helping us continually enhance your Kobo eReading experience!
For general help about the upgrade: http://kobobooks.us1.list-manage.com...0&e=ffb9a7577d

Windows Users: When you launch the update, you will be asked by Windows "Would you like to install this device software?" Don't panic. Click "Install" to continue.

Windows XP users: There are some additional steps to install new drivers for your device.
Check here for instructions: http://kobobooks.us1.list-manage.com...c&e=ffb9a7577d

Sincerely,

Kobo Customer Care

Last edited by artificial; 07-16-2010 at 11:14 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #12
BBel
Enthusiast

Thanks artificial if you just got your early access email I might wait a week or so to see if mine arrives, otherwise I'll use the link here. I have 2 books sitting waiting to be read that are in micro font (purchased from angus and robertson, who also sell the kobo, you'd think their ebooks would be scaleable!)
Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #13
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
I did the update on one of my kobos (the other had been done with the Can update), worked fine no problems at all. Also once I updated the Borders software the canadian update seemed to work with the Borders software so I had no problems.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #14
littleredplanet
littleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
Hey Guys,
I ditched my Borders branded software and installed the one from kobobooks. After installing the kobobooks software, I then was prompted for a firmware upgrade. Went through the upgrade process and all has been great ever since.

hope that helps.
littleredplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I upgraded my Kobo via the new Borders application via the link given on Borders Australia web site and all seemed to go ok except that when it went into sleep mode for the first time it would not wake up again and had to have the paper clip reset done to it again but it has been fine ever since.

Don't know that I like the auto sleep / power down "feature" though!
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote