Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Dobchops
Dobchops began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch
Stanza + Ipod + DRM'd Ebooks

Hi, everyone

How can I read DRm'd books on my Ipod Touch? Is there a specific format I need to buy it in? Does Stanza read drm formats (I know it does not read Lits though) I'm getting all my books from Diesel e books and i just find it such a schlep to remove the drm's.

Sorry if it's been discussed before. I just can't find anything on it via google.

Please help a noob like me out here. Thanks
Dobchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you need to purchase DRMed ePub, you can use the txtr app for that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Dobchops

Thanks for you quick reply. Some of the books I get from Diesel doesn't have epub format only palm, mobi, ADE and Lit. But I guess the Adobe Digital Editions would work?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Dobchops

Anything else?

Maybe I should just stick with buying .lit and deDRM them.

I've read though that stanza supports the ereader drm books, is that correct?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobchops View Post
Thanks for you quick reply. Some of the books I get from Diesel doesn't have epub format only palm, mobi, ADE and Lit. But I guess the Adobe Digital Editions would work?
ADE is not ePub.It's PDF. Stupid way to confuse people. But if it doesn't say ePub, then it's PDF. And you might not want DRMed PDF.

If you have a choice that doesn't include ePub but does include MS Reader, go for MS Reader. Mobipocket second and eReader third.

The DRM can be stripped and the eBooks converted with Calibre.
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Dobchops

Hi,

Yip. I'll think I'll have to just stick with ms reader books then. It's the easiest to strip.

Sigh.

Thanks for your time.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you need to purchase DRMed ePub, you can use the txtr app for that.
God no -- txtr is horrible.

Stanza has lots of book store interfaces built right in -- including Fictionwise which is where I bought most of my books from. Baen, Harlequin, and many more.

Fictionwise has suffered through the switch to the agency model so they are not as attractive of a store as they used to be.

You can also download the free Kindle app and free Barnes and Noble apps if you want to buy books from either of those two stores.

The Kobo reader, also free, allows you to buy books from Kobo and soon Borders.

And in a few weeks, you'll be able to get the iBooks app to buy from Apple.

So yeah, Stanza is a terrific app for the iPod Touch....my favorite. But you have LOTS of options for getting DRM'd content.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
On the iPod Touch, you can read the following DRM'ed formats, without stripping them:
Barnes and Noble ePub-using the B&N app
Amazon Kindle format-using the Kindle App
Adobe Adept-using the Txtr App
Kobo-using the Kobo App

and, by the end of June, Apple's iBook format-using iBooks.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Is it fair to say that the only major eBookstore whose books can't be read on an iDevice without stripping DRM (once iBooks is available for iPhone) is Sony?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Is it fair to say that the only major eBookstore whose books can't be read on an iDevice without stripping DRM (once iBooks is available for iPhone) is Sony?
I guess so-didn't Sony convert their entire store to Adobe protected ePub format for their store?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I guess so-didn't Sony convert their entire store to Adobe protected ePub format for their store?
Yes they did. Sony's epubs are Adobe-protected.

What distinguishes Sony from the other big players is their lack of an official app for iDevices.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
No; the same is true of many bookstores. Eg, Waterstones, W.H.Smiths, BooksOnBoard, to name but three. All these only sell DRM-protected books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No; the same is true of many bookstores. Eg, Waterstones, W.H.Smiths, BooksOnBoard, to name but three. All these only sell DRM-protected books.
Stanza works with BooksOnBoard.

Waterstones, W.H. Smiths -- uses Adobe - perhaps txtr?

Lee
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
God no -- txtr is horrible.
txtr is only as good as the ePub you are reading.

Stanza is nasty from the get go no matter what you are reading. The ePub rendering engine is not good enough. I was hoping that Stanza for the iPad would have fixed the problems, but all it did was wrap them in a shiny new app that's just as useless as the previous version.

I'm hoping the forthcoming Overdrive app will give us something really good.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
txtr is only as good as the ePub you are reading.

Stanza is nasty from the get go no matter what you are reading. The ePub rendering engine is not good enough. I was hoping that Stanza for the iPad would have fixed the problems, but all it did was wrap them in a shiny new app that's just as useless as the previous version.

I'm hoping the forthcoming Overdrive app will give us something really good.
Txtr uses a scrolling rather than page turning metaphor and their website is slow and obtuse for getting materials. It's a terrible reading experience. Who cares if it handles fonts in some esoteric easy better

Lee