Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iPad WiFi

Love the iPad, but...

... it doesn't seem to have a terribly good WiFi antenna. Works fine in the room where my actual wireless router is, but in my bedroom (where my notebook gets a WiFi signal just fine) I get a 1 bar signal and it's very intermittent.

Has anyone else experienced this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Love the iPad, but...

... it doesn't seem to have a terribly good WiFi antenna. Works fine in the room where my actual wireless router is, but in my bedroom (where my notebook gets a WiFi signal just fine) I get a 1 bar signal and it's very intermittent.

Has anyone else experienced this?
No, very good reception. Basically, I can walk the entire house = 4 rooms or 2 floors from the router.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In fairness, my iPod Touch won't connect in my bedroom either, so perhaps it's just that my notebook has an unusually good antenna rather than the iPad a poor one. My WiFi router is in an extension to my house, so from my bedroom, the signal has to reach me through two layers of external brick walls, which I guess must attenuate the signal considerably.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
From inside the car, parked at the grocery store or wherever, it picks up a signal. From an uncle's house waaaaay out in the country, it picked up my cousin's wifi from her farm down the road. Mine has great pickup. HOWEVER....

I had lots of trouble at first. After a couple of hours over several days, on the phone with the tech support girl, we figured out that my wifi modem needed to be updated. We went online and downloaded the new modem software, and VIOLA! It solved the problem.

Maybe that can help you?

Oh, and congrats on your new toy! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Playing with mine at differnt places has shown different results. Mostly older routers especialy B class ones have the worst results. My N router does pretty good, across the house and onto the back porch. Thats abour 50 feet, 3 walls (2 of cinder block, one of wood with electrical wires) and a floor. But I have to sit with the back of the IPad facing the house. The WiFi antenna is under the plastic apple on the back.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I've used it in a couple of different places and it hasn't proven to be a problem.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, my iPod Touch won't connect in my bedroom either, so perhaps it's just that my notebook has an unusually good antenna rather than the iPad a poor one. My WiFi router is in an extension to my house, so from my bedroom, the signal has to reach me through two layers of external brick walls, which I guess must attenuate the signal considerably.
It might be the router problem as well. All Linksys routers I used in the past worked fine with all WiFi devices I have, but I bought a D-Link router once, and most devices had 1 bar and no connectivity if they weren't in the same room as router. I switched it to Linksys, and 2 floors below the router I now have 5 bars on same devices.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Try this. It worked for me for similar problem.

Settings->Reset->Reset Network Settings.
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I've noticed at a couple of Wi-Fi hotspots I frequent for lunch that my Acer laptop will get a 1 or 2 bar signal and the iPad won't pick it up at all. It has to be closer to the source.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Mine's fine all over the house - drops to one bar when I'm at the end of the garden, but so does my laptop...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
One thing I have noticed is my iPad 3G gets MUCH better reception than any of the iPhones, at least in my house. I attribute that to a larger antenna and probably more power allocated to it. But my wifi doesn't seem remarkably better, unfortunately.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Reception is fine, but the signal strength indicator seems more sensitive than other devices. Doesn't seem to be any different in terms of actual quality of signal though.

Amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Reception is fine, but the signal strength indicator seems more sensitive than other devices. Doesn't seem to be any different in terms of actual quality of signal though.

Amjb
Very true. I have gotten my usual 12-15 Mbps speeds all over the house regardless of what the signal strength indicator shows. Same at my office.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
My girlfriends doesn't do that well either.

It's mostly OK at my place, some problems in the bedroom (which is one room/wall from my router).

At her place it drops all the time unless in the same room as the router. Also sucks on the wifi network on campus where we work.

I really wonder if they just launched with a batch of crappy wifi cards in some units. Or it could just be a matter of not getting along well with some routers etc. I suppose.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I read somewhere (?) that Apple acknowledged some problems with WiFi and hopes to make some corrections in software. (is that vague enough for ya?)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote