Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Speak to me in verse

Do you like poetry? Do you write poems? Then share your favorite poems (or a stanza from a poem) and poets with us! Funny, sad, edgy, profound, mundane, contemporary, ancient--whatever it is, if it speaks to you, then post it here. I, for one, would like to know about your favorites. (Pay attention to copyright restrictions, though.)

Oh, and it is also National Poetry Month in the US.

One of my favorite poets is Emily Jane Brontë (No coward soul is mine). She was the poet among the three sisters, and she hid her poetry even from Charlotte. Like Wuthering Heights, her poems tend to be unapologetically romantic, gloomy, foreboding, intense, and do not try to hide the unhappy side of life. Here is one of my favorites from her:

I am the only being whose doom
No tongue would ask no eye would mourn
I never caused a thought of gloom
A smile of joy since I was born

In secret pleasure -- secret tears
This changeful life has slipped away
As friendless after eighteen years
As lone as on my natal day

There have been times I cannot hide
There have been times when this was drear
When my sad soul forgot its pride
And longed for one to love me here

But those were in the early glow
Of feelings not subdued by care
And they have died so long ago
I hardly now believe they were

First melted off the hope of youth
Then Fancy's rainbow fast withdrew
And then experience told me truth
In mortal bosoms never grew

'Twas grief enough to think mankind
All hollow servile insincere --
Bur worse to trust to my own mind
And find the same corruption there

(May 17, 1839, at the age of twenty.)

Last edited by Seabound; 04-06-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added note about copyright.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I dont have much verse to have a favorite but I like music so much and like music that I can relate with and music lyrics are very much poetry with tunes. I like what artists have made so far in expressing feelings.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill75 View Post
I dont have much verse to have a favorite but I like music so much and like music that I can relate with and music lyrics are very much poetry with tunes. I like what artists have made so far in expressing feelings.
That is so very true! Maybe you can post some of your favorite lines from songs, if you are so inclined and have time. Poems and songs, same thing, really. I learned a while ago that one has to have a sense of rhythm to write good poetry.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of my favourites, by Emily Dickinson:

After great pain, a formal feeling comes —
The Nerves sit ceremonious, like Tombs —
The stiff Heart questions was it He, that bore,
And Yesterday, or Centuries before?

The Feet, mechanical, go round —
Of Ground, or Air, or Ought
A Wooden way
Regardless grown,
A Quartz contentment, like a stone —

This is the Hour of Lead —
Remembered, if outlived,
As Freezing persons, recollect the Snow —
First — Chill — then Stupor — then the letting go —
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
More Emily...

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant---
Success in Cirrcuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightening to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind---
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Ben Johnson-
It is not growing like a tree
In bulk doth make Man better be;
Or standing long an oak, three hundred year,
To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sere:
A lily of a day
Is fairer far in May,
Although it fall and die that night—
It was the plant and flower of light.
In small proportions we just beauties see;
And in short measures life may perfect be.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Almost all of Emily Dickinson's poems can be sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas". Okay, montsnmags' can't, but Donnageddon's demonstrates the common rhyme scheme very well.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Almost all of Emily Dickinson's poems can be sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas". Okay, montsnmags' can't, but Donnageddon's demonstrates the common rhyme scheme very well.
Why, oh why, would you assassinate Emily Dickinson with such slander? (or is it libel? I always confuse the two)

Fortunately, I do not know the tune to "The Yellow Rose of Texas", and I will endeavor to never.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

**Post Self removed... I am unsure whether the poem I posted is in the public domain.***

Just Something to consider in this thread.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 04-05-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Not sure if the content was in the public domain
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Fortunately, I do not know the tune to "The Yellow Rose of Texas", and I will endeavor to never.
Me neither. Phew!

I love Emily Dickinson. And I have only begun to scratch the depths of her poetry.

Wild nights!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If you don't know "The Yellow Rose of Texas" you can use the "Gilligan's Island Theme" instead.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
**Post Self removed... I am unsure whether the poem I posted is in the public domain.***

Just Something to consider in this thread.
Good point. I've added a note about copyright in my original post.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

Here's the "wild nights" poem by Dickinson:

Wild nights! Wild nights!
Were I with thee,
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile the winds
To a heart in port,—
Done with the compass,
Done with the chart.

Rowing in Eden!
Ah! the sea!
Might I but moor
To-night in thee!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
....So I'll meet 'im later on
In the place where 'e is gone—
Where it's always double drill and no canteen;
'E'll be squattin' on the coals
Givin' drink to pore damned souls,
An' I'll get a swig in Hell from Gunga Din!

Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

He might have looked like Ben Casey's boss but to me Sam Jaffe was always Gunga Din!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #15
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
Enjoying this thread very much. Thank you to all who have contributed so far. I had the great honor and extreme pleasure of listening to Leonard Cohen recite verses (including new verses) from "A Thousand Kisses Deep" a few nights ago in Dallas. Someone posted video of that on youtube. A favorite of mine for sure, but I won't post it here because I'm certain it would violate copyright.

Here's a favorite bit of verse that fits my mood as I bask in the glow of that memory:

Go, lady! lean to the night-guitar,
And drop a smile to the bringer;
Then smile as sweetly, when he is far,
At the voice of an in-door singer.

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
from "A Woman's Shortcomings"

Last edited by Detour; 04-06-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote