Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2024, 06:15 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I will also never buy a Kindle again if buttons don't make a reappearance. I hope Kobo will continue their current trend of devices with 7-8'' screens and buttons; if not, I'd probably have to look towards Pocketbooks. Nooks are not an option for me unless they completely rehaul their software (which majorly sucks as it is now, IMO).
Kindle software is pretty dire as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:53 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle software is pretty dire as well.
Yeah, but I could tolerate it if the hardware was good enough (unless Amazon invents more bugs and barriers for sideloading). The Nook software I can't abide. I tried.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2024, 10:45 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, but I could tolerate it if the hardware was good enough (unless Amazon invents more bugs and barriers for sideloading). The Nook software I can't abide. I tried.
But at least B&N don't steal your side loaded eBooks.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #64
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
But at least B&N don't steal your side loaded eBooks.
But they do (or did) keep them segregated in a tiny partition.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #65
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
And this morning I see that it's been removed from the 3 bar menu as well. So far the only place it remains is on the header/hero images on the main Kindle series page.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2024, 03:03 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
And this morning I see that it's been removed from the 3 bar menu as well. So far the only place it remains is on the header/hero images on the main Kindle series page.
Could you explain since you didn't quote the post you are replying to?
Old 02-21-2024, 03:30 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Could you explain since you didn't quote the post you are replying to?
Perhaps you could have looked back to the message #55 on page 4 of this thread? Though it was posted on 2024-Feb-19, that isn't all that long ago. BTW, I personally don't like repeat quoting everything in a sub-thread.

Quote:
Now the Oasis only shows up in the 3-bar menu on the left of the main header. The navbar, as well as the main Kindle series product page have been scrubbed of links to it.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-21-2024 at 03:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:31 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you could have looked back to the message #55 on page 4 of this thread? Though it was posted on 2024-Feb-19, that isn't all that long ago. BTW, I personally don't like repeat quoting everything in a sub-thread.
I understand not quoting if your post is next or nearly. But the post was on a different page. It should have been quoted.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:01 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I understand not quoting if your post is next or nearly. But the post was on a different page. It should have been quoted.
I must wonder how many other people did not flip back a page or just remembered the original post—I can't be the only one who did one of the two. And my reason for disliking the practice of quoting unneeded (IMNSHO) content is simply to keep multi-page messages to a minimum.

You can lead a person to wisdom but you can't make them think.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM   #70
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Apparently someone on Reddit got the confirmation from Amazon customer support that the Oasis has indeed been discontinued.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:22 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Apparently someone on Reddit got the confirmation from Amazon customer support that the Oasis has indeed been discontinued.
I wouldn't give too much credence to that. Customer service can say pretty much anything. Doesn't mean they're right.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I wouldn't give too much credence to that. Customer service can say pretty much anything. Doesn't mean they're right.
That's true, but odds are that page turn buttons are once again gone from the kindle lineup.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:31 PM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That's true, but odds are that page turn buttons are once again gone from the kindle lineup.
Yeah. The question is, will they make a comeback in the near future or has Amazon decided Kindles no longer need them, ever?

The Oasis line seems to have been quite popular. Not as popular as the Paperwhite line, of course, but still, there have been many posters here owning one. I wonder if there will be something to replace it or if the Scribe was meant to do so.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:23 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I don't get is buttons vanished when touchscreen Readers started coming out. I didn't read of complaints that there were no buttons.

Now that buttons are sort of back, I read that some will not buy without buttons. So why were no buttons OK when there were no buttons?

This seems to me like a double standard.

If you needed a Reader and you could not get one with buttons, what you would do?
Old 02-22-2024, 04:45 PM   #75
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What I don't get is buttons vanished when touchscreen Readers started coming out. I didn't read of complaints that there were no buttons.

Now that buttons are sort of back, I read that some will not buy without buttons. So why were no buttons OK when there were no buttons?

This seems to me like a double standard.

If you needed a Reader and you could not get one with buttons, what you would do?
I've never used an ereader without buttons. Since I started to read ebooks (2011) there has always been something with buttons (non-touch Kindles, then the Voyage, then the Oasis line, then Kobos starting with the Libra 1 - I never used the Forma).

If a day arrives without any buttoned ereader in existence, I guess I'd be forced to do without. But not by choice.