Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I second The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Steadman.

AND I second We Keep a Light by Evelyn M. Richardson.

Good to see you return, Victoria.
Thanks gmw
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hi Twitchy

I found kindle versions on both the US & Canada Amazon sites. I’m not sure how to add links, but the web address at the US site is https://www.amazon.com/We-Keep-Light...al-text&sr=1-1

I hope this works for you. Good luck!
It’s $10.99 at US Kindle, so cheaper at US Kobo for the store agnostic.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
Victoria, where did you find a Kindle version of We Keep a Light? I checked Amazon(paperback only, $20) and I also checked Overdrive (our library system doesn’t carry it). I’d love to read this one.
Here's the Amazon US link. But the price is $10.99 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/We-Keep-Light.../dp/B00FWZ1NSQ

The problem I have is not where to buy this, but the fact that I don't have the spare funds to pay for it as it's not available at any of the libraries (Overdrive) I have access to.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-04-2020 at 12:42 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sorry, folks, I was offline all yesterday (work). Will get things caught up in the next couple of hours.

(And Jon, I'm seeing that at $9.99 USD here. And yes, sometimes Amazon shows different prices depending on where you're located and what kind of account you have.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Second nomination: The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough (1968, 386 pp.).
This is a fantastic read, although that sounds callous given the nature of the tragedy. As popular historians go, McCullough is in the top rank.This is a fantastic read, although that sounds callous given the nature of the tragedy. As popular historians go, McCullough is in the top rank.
Are you seconding, or shall I? Oh, never mind. I'll do it. Seconded.
Advert
Old 06-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sorry, folks, I was offline all yesterday (work). Will get things caught up in the next couple of hours.

(And Jon, I'm seeing that at $9.99 USD here. And yes, sometimes Amazon shows different prices depending on where you're located and what kind of account you have.)
And now, on this machine, it shows me the $10.99 price. Go figure.

OK, folks. I think I'm caught up. <phew!> (Darn. Spoke too soon. See post #37. Sigh.)

Last edited by CRussel; 06-04-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I second The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Steadman.

AND I second We Keep a Light by Evelyn M. Richardson.

Good to see you return, Victoria.
Sorry, gmw, that's four tickets for you. However, I'd have nominated or seconded The Lightning Thief if you hadn't, so I'll make this easy by taking that one away from you.

And yes, it's very good to see you back, Victoria.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-04-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #38
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My apologies for going over the $10 US guideline. The US Amazon recognizes me as a Canadian, and adjusts the price up or down to match the Canadian price.

I try to trick them by changing the flag to the US, but it doesn’t seem to work. So I’m not sure what to do to to see what Amazon charges Americans.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Not to worry about it, Victoria. Short of creating a US account with a US address and US credit card (at which point, it will see you as a US customer regardless of where you are currently located), there isn't much you can do.

As for the $10 upper limit? This is a suggested upper limit only, not a hard and fast rule. And, IME, books that exceed the price that some are willing to pay don't end up being selected. That, in and of itself, is not a reason to decline to nominate a book. Because we often find ourselves reading books that we only find out about through the nomination process, regardless of which book wins. So please -- keep nominating the books you think will be interesting to read and discuss.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really think that if this wins, that we should all be reading the same version and the only version I will read is the Baen version as I own it. I cannot say if this version has an audiobook edition.

FYI, Jon -- the Baen version is no longer available. And folks will read the one they choose to read. That being said, the one here in the PCML library looks like a good option and that's likely the one I'll be reading. Though if I can find a WhisperSync'd version that has a decent narrator and a decent price at Amazon, I might just go with that one. If, of course, it wins. I read it once or twice in my teens and don't really feel the necessity of reading it again unless it wins.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
FYI, Jon -- the Baen version is no longer available. And folks will read the one they choose to read. That being said, the one here in the PCML library looks like a good option and that's likely the one I'll be reading. Though if I can find a WhisperSync'd version that has a decent narrator and a decent price at Amazon, I might just go with that one. If, of course, it wins. I read it once or twice in my teens and don't really feel the necessity of reading it again unless it wins.
Actually, the Baen version still exists for $3.99.

https://www.baen.com/20-000-leagues-under-the-sea.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the Baen version still exists for $3.99.

https://www.baen.com/20-000-leagues-under-the-sea.html
Well, I'll be. I looked under author, and no Jules Verne. It never occurred to me that it would be listed under a different author. That's just WRONG. But still more than the PCML version, and I doubt any better.

FWIW, I looked at the available Audible versions and the ones by the better narrators are all the shorter versions, so likely based on the old translation.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #43
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hi Twitchy

I found kindle versions on both the US & Canada Amazon sites. I’m not sure how to add links, but the web address at the US site is https://www.amazon.com/We-Keep-Light...al-text&sr=1-1

I hope this works for you. Good luck!
Thank you! And thanks to Issy and JSWolf as well. I’m now the proud owner of the Kindle edition.
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Sorry, gmw, that's four tickets for you. However, I'd have nominated or seconded The Lightning Thief if you hadn't, so I'll make this easy by taking that one away from you.
Ah, oops!

Can't fault the enthusiasm though, right?

Thanks for fixing it up.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #45
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
Thank you! And thanks to Issy and JSWolf as well. I’m now the proud owner of the Kindle edition.
Great - I hope you enjoy the memoir!