Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Sella174
Enthusiast
Sella174 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperbacks
No, not a clue. Why would the code be a mess?
Sella174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sella174 View Post
No, not a clue. Why would the code be a mess?
Because chances are they didn't properly use styles and used the toolbar, tabs, returns, fonts, etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
Sella174
Enthusiast

Which is why I import it into LibreOffice: so that I can clean it up and reformat it the way I want it. Then when I export it back to whatever version of MSWord the author is using, my styles are retained in the document that they will be editing, as well as all my notes.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is why I import it into LibreOffice: so that I can clean it up and reformat it the way I want it. Then when I export it back to whatever version of MSWord the author is using, my styles are retained in the document that they will be editing, as well as all my notes.
Sometimes it's actually easier to clean up the mess after it's converted to ePub because a lot of it can be fixed with regex and/or search/replace
Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #20
Sella174
Enthusiast

LibreOffice understands regular expressions just fine.
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
LibreOffice understands regular expressions just fine.
But you don't see the ePub coding. That's what you need to see in order to fix it.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #22
Sella174
Enthusiast

Why do I need to see the ePub code?

Once the odt has been cleaned and properly styled, one of the things that gets done to it, is it gets exported to HTML. This HTML file is cleaned (by a little script that heavily uses regular expressions), eye-balled and uploaded to the website. Thus I already have super-clean HTML in my possession.

Please understand that the authors do not understand HTML, the ePub format or for the most part anything beyond the basics of their word processing program. Any revision of the text is done by them using their word processor. So editing the HTML or an ePub as a source document is seriously out.

The readers are asking for mobi files, because they have Kindles. I was therefor looking for a way to generate the mobi from what I already had, namely HTML, odt or PDF (derived from the odt). But it seems I need to package the HTML into an ePub before I can create a mobi. Silly, but an expected reality in this age of lazy, point-&-click computing.

So I'm writing a program that will package the HTML in a valid ePub, along with added metadata, without trying to be intelligent and messing up my neat HTML files.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Because sometimes it's easier to clean up the mess when it's an ePub than if it's a word processing document.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Given that they have Kindles, you'd be best off having Mobi and KF8. Newer Kindles that can run firmware 5.8.11 will benefit from KF8.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
Sella174
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that they have Kindles, you'd be best off having Mobi and KF8. Newer Kindles that can run firmware 5.8.11 will benefit from KF8.
Obviously.

And that is why how to get to the mobi and KF8 without first making a redundant ePub was the original question.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub 2 came from MS Reader format.
Actually it came from Open eBook as shown in our wiki. OEB was actually used as the source format for LIT (MS Reader), IMP and MOBI.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually it came from Open eBook as shown in our wiki. OEB was actually used as the source format for LIT (MS Reader), IMP and MOBI.

Dale
But, ePub came from MS Reader's version.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Obviously.

And that is why how to get to the mobi and KF8 without first making a redundant ePub was the original question.
Which is why I said, in my post: just build an OPF and an NCX, for your superclean HTML. Then drop the OPF onto Kindlegen or KindlePreviewer, and it will build a dual-MOBI file. Voila, no ePUB and you have what you need.

This has nothing to do with Gutenberg. It's simply what happened, when various groups had differing opinions about the "best" format, when eBooks were uber-young. Just as Betamax and VHS were the battling formats, in the early days of video. {shrug}.

I will say this--I've used LO and OO and Word and Pages and all kinds of word processors, over the last decades. If OO or LO works for you, great, but the cruft output by any of them is pretty much the same. What needs cleaning is always pretty much the same, if, like most of us, you have utterly untrained (and untrainable, typically) authors. I can clean Word the fastest, of all the word-processing solutions. Just offered FWIW.

So: just build an OPF and an NCX. From what you've said, that's obviously well within the scope of your abilities. Place it in the correct relative position, with your HTML files directory, and drop that OPF on Kindlegen or Kindle Previewer. You'll have a dual mobi without any problems--and without an ePUB.

Good luck to you. I don't disagree with you, btw, about the era of lazy point and click computing, but after working with thousands of authors, in the last decade--of which we've received, MAYBE, 20 files in which the author actually used Styles or Headings--which obviously translate pretty perfectly to HTML and thus to ePUB/MOBI--I don't believe that you can train them. I used to think I could--but the truth is, you can't. Right-brainers in particular are resistant to learning things like Heading and Styles, even though it would be to their own massive benefit to use them. Even our repeat clients--nope. (n.b.: most of ours can't even use Track Changes right. So...)

So, I understand--somewhat--why you've taken the path you have, in importing their content to OO/LO, cleaning it up, etc. I'd do it in Word, but that's all a matter of preference. Don't ignore what I said about building the OPF, though. If you want to go direct-to-mobi, that's probably your best path. (Although, again, to me, they're much of a sameness. Yeah, verily, there are a few differences in the formats, but....{shrug}, not enough to really think about. BTW: you do know that your authors could send ePUB format to their Kindle email addresses, and get a formatted MOBI in their personal docs section of their Kindle, right?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:57 AM   #29
Sella174
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Which is why I said, in my post: just build an OPF and an NCX, for your superclean HTML. Then drop the OPF onto Kindlegen or KindlePreviewer, and it will build a dual-MOBI file. Voila, no ePUB and you have what you need.
Kind of figured that as well, reading the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.

Quote:
I will say this--I've used LO and OO and Word and Pages and all kinds of word processors, over the last decades. If OO or LO works for you, great, but the cruft output by any of them is pretty much the same. What needs cleaning is always pretty much the same, if, like most of us, you have utterly untrained (and untrainable, typically) authors. I can clean Word the fastest, of all the word-processing solutions. Just offered FWIW.
Oh, how I miss that feature of WordPerfect to view the source!

I haven't looked at MSWord since I was no longer required to provide user support for it, but LibreOffice has really worked on their regular expression engine the past few updates. Not perfect, but pretty good. I also like the feature to search for applied styles, fonts, etc.

Quote:
So: just build an OPF and an NCX. From what you've said, that's obviously well within the scope of your abilities. Place it in the correct relative position, with your HTML files directory, and drop that OPF on Kindlegen or Kindle Previewer. You'll have a dual mobi without any problems--and without an ePUB.
Certainly will give this a bash, instead of a whole ePub.

Quote:
BTW: you do know that your authors could send ePUB format to their Kindle email addresses, and get a formatted MOBI in their personal docs section of their Kindle, right?)
Whilst I do, for (most of) them this is akin to designing a returnable Mars rover.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #30
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Certainly will give this a bash, instead of a whole ePub.
I just wanted to tell you again that the difference between this and making an epub to convert to mobi is negligible. If you are scripting it, then maybe five minutes of time up front and then you have one more format to use forever after. Maybe nobody is clamoring for it right now, but it comes at almost no cost to you.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote