Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
zozizai
zozizai began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Kindle Paperwhite Gen 1(2012) fw 5.6.1.1 jailbreak/downgrade

Hi all,
I would like to JB my Kindle (PW 2012)
But i dont know how to do it.
My Kindle FW is 5.6.1.1 and i never JB before .
Please help me, teach me how to do it.
Thanks a million
zozizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I was running FW 5.6.1.1 on my PW3, and I did a JB using the instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

As that thread says, I had to upgrade to FW 5.6.5 first, because that JB exploits a "feature" exclusive to 5.6.5.

Though you have different hardware, you are running the same FW that I had, so that 5.6.5 JB should work for you too if you follow the step-by-step instructions at the thread linked above. Good luck!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
zozizai

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I was running FW 5.6.1.1 on my PW3, and I did a JB using the instructions here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

As that thread says, I had to upgrade to FW 5.6.5 first, because that JB exploits a "feature" exclusive to 5.6.5.

Though you have different hardware, you are running the same FW that I had, so that 5.6.5 JB should work for you too if you follow the step-by-step instructions at the thread linked above. Good luck!
@geekmaster : Thank my friend so much :-*

But PPW 2012 : last FW is 5.6.1.1
So sad.

Any1 can tell me another way to JB ?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozizai View Post
@geekmaster : Thank my friend so much :-*

But PPW 2012 : last FW is 5.6.1.1
So sad.

Any1 can tell me another way to JB ?
5.6.1.1 is still the most recent for the PW-1 (unless the TTS option includes a newer firmware).

Your only choice is to use the serial port to jb the device (there is a 'sticky' thread with directions here).

Last edited by knc1; 05-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
5.6.1.1 is still the most recent for the PW-1 (unless the TTS option includes a newer firmware).

Your only choice is to use the serial port to jb the device (there is a 'sticky' thread with directions here).
Oops. I guess I need to do more research before I post. I used to be on top of all this. I have been away awhile, and I am still getting up to speed on all the changes. His firmware version being the same as mine led me astray in this case. Giving bad advice is worse than giving no advice. Trying to be helpful is not helpful without due diligence. Sorry...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-11-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One the things Amazon/Lab126 has been doing is consolidating firmware builds (so the same version runs on multiple devices).

Currently (of touchscreen devices):
K5 - never yet been touched by the 5.6.x series (and now we know why - TTS is an extra cost add-on rather than built-in).
PW-1 stalled at 5.6.1.1 (which is what the PW-3 first shipped with, even thought they are different processors/SoC devices)
PW-2, PW-3, KT2, KV (and maybe Oasis) have a common firmware version.

The K5 and the KT2 have the same ir touch screen scanner.
The PW-3 and the KV have the same screen (I think it is a very nice, clear display - I like mine).

And what we are calling the "KT2" is technically the K4-2 (second gen, K4 - IR touch screen replacing the buttons). Open them both up and lay side-by-side, you can see it.
But I could just see people typo'ing that as the K42 (the 2036 Kindle model).
So KT2 it is (second Kindle using the IR scanner touchscreen).

Just get back on the horse if it throws you - you will not be thrown too many times before you get the hang of it.

Last edited by knc1; 05-11-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Since this thread is done with its topic -
I'll toss in a little bit of personal trivia -

Yesterday I was playing with a pair of stray puppies -
had a new squeaky toy and learning what 'fetch' meant . . . .
they ran off with the squeaky toy - playing some dog game of their own . . .
I went indoors and returned a half hour later . .

There in the grass was the squeaky toy
AND
somebody's "junior drug dealer kit" in a leatherette cover.

So this morning I am waiting for the county sheriff to show up and claim the drug kit (and puppies).
Such a 'hood I live in, even 3-1/2 month old puppies carry drug kits.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@zozizai:

IIRC, that PW1 FW *might* be susceptible to the old "stick the (old) update in there, wait a bit (or force a sync), and hard-reboot the device like a savage" method. See the K5 JB thread for more details.

That way you might be able to first downgrade to a friendlier version, where said K5 JB (not the 5.6.5 one) might run.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So this morning I am waiting for the county sheriff to show up and claim the drug kit (and puppies).
Such a 'hood I live in, even 3-1/2 month old puppies carry drug kits.
So the sheriff is going to lock up the thug puppies in puppy jail? Maybe they can be retrained as DEA sniffer dogs, eh?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So the sheriff is going to lock up the thug puppies in puppy jail? Maybe they can be retrained as DEA sniffer dogs, eh?
He arrived, and left, just a little bit ago -
Puppies where deemed innocent -
The dupe-head camping out next to me .... not so much.

But the deputy wanted to go back to the office, and check if any other department (other than animal control) already had something going at the place next door (like an on-going investigation).

This situation will not continue for long -
Going away for two or three days at a time without food or water for the dogs is a felony here.

A "felony in progress" gives the sheriff's depart a free hand to bust into that place at any time they wish.

Translation:
If your going to abuse your animals, do it out of sight of the street.

- - - -

Retrained?
At 16 weeks they are already fetching 'meth kits'.

The deputy said of the boy dog (who was lying at our feet while we where talking) . . . .
"I could use a dog like that myself."

So yes, these two puppies may end up with a job with the county, rather than a short trip to the doggie death-house.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
zozizai

Thank you a million for help me.
I would like to give you a big hug
My English not good to say thank you all for your continued support, enthusiasm, dedication and passion!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
Anunakin
Anunakin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Talking

Downgrade worked for me ...
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=264432
Anunakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Big note:

This is still current, the PW-1 is still on 5.6.1.1, see:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850