Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Kindle Keyboard

A friend of mine has offered me her Kindle Keyboard which she has pretty much never used.

Are Kindle Keyboards still *good* to use or are the newer versions better? Sorry if my q is silly, I have never used a Kindle so I don't know if the Kindle Keyboard will suffice or if the newer ones are better.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I prefer my kindle keyboard to the newer models. I'll be sad when it breaks eventually. It's personal preference.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Just give it a try

There is an almost religious debate here where some people prefer the K3 (Keyboard), some the K4 (non-touch), and some the K5 (Touch). You will essentially only start the 800th discussion about who prefers what, and get subjective comments about how the K5 doesn't have physical buttons, the K4 doesn't have a keyboard, and why the keyboard on the K3 is useless.

Objectively, the K3 is still a good reader if you just want to read books. As far as actual reading is concerned, the only thing that it lacks (which newer models provide) is support for KF8 books (required for RTL languages like arabic or hebrew, and providing better support for complex book layouts, like for technical documents).

Again: just try it. If you don't like it, you can still buy a new one.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
A friend of mine has offered me her Kindle Keyboard which she has pretty much never used.

Are Kindle Keyboards still *good* to use or are the newer versions better? Sorry if my q is silly, I have never used a Kindle so I don't know if the Kindle Keyboard will suffice or if the newer ones are better.
I love my Kindle Keyboard. It does a great job.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Wouldn't have e-ink any other way. More screen real estate even because of not having the on-screen keyboard.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I like the extra hight of the Kindle Keyboard.
Specially lying in bed reading, I feel less stress on my neck.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Your kindle keyboard is also known as a kindle model three. The current generaiton is the model four and soon to be announced will be the model five. So at the bare minimum pass up the model four in favor of the newer model five. My policy is to refresh the technology once every four years so since you have a model three the next time you would get a new one would be in time for the model seven, which obviously is several years into the future. So my advice is to use what you have until the model seven is available which should be in time for XMas 2014. In other words "keep your powder dry."
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have 2 Kindle Keyboards. I never upgraded to the newer ones (unless you count my Fire). I think you should take and enjoy it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Your kindle keyboard is also known as a kindle model three. The current generaiton is the model four and soon to be announced will be the model five.
This is plain wrong. The K4 is the current Kindle non-touch, the K5 is the current Kindle Touch, and the K6 is the current Kindle Fire. Just check the firmware release numbers.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The Kindle Keyboard is a current model, Amazon still sells new ones, and the last firmware update was in the spring. It's a higher end model compared to the newer basic non-Touch Kindle, with double the storage and battery life, a speaker for TTS, music, and audiobooks, and unlimited 3G (if it's the 3G model).

Go for it, unless you have your heart set on a touch screen.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Keyboard gets my vote. I love mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f=famstripe_kt
Quote:
Kindle Touch
Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6,173 customer reviews) | Like (3,637)

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Decision made for you

paperwhite / NuTouch II Series 6 UberMax (or w/e they label it), FireSuperBlazeII (or w/e) or the Keyboard 3.3.

Your choices are those.

I'm going to get a paperwhite I think. The Fire is NOT for me, I have no idea about the names as you can tell...

I love my keyboard... Did I already say that? well. I do.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
kasra5004
kasra5004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I love my kindle keyboard and I intentionally avoided touchscreen because It just isn`t necessary. I view a lot of pdf files which are usually bigger than 20mb so It`s larger memory capacity is definitely a plus. The keyboard is quite nice too, especially if you`re using reference books .It also has a better battery life compared to k4.

So yeah,k3 rocks!

Paper white sounds nice, but I wish it had a keyboard model too.
kasra5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Still using a Kindle Keyboard here, #2. Dropped the first one, one too many times.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra5004 View Post
So yeah,k3 rocks!

Paper white sounds nice, but I wish it had a keyboard model too.
Oh yes. this is so true.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, if you don't want it send it over here because I'd take a free Kindle Keyboard in a heartbeat.

Kindle keyboard has several pretty nice features .... including the actual keyboard for those of us who prefer them over touch screens. It has physical page turn buttons, plays sound, and it holds more books than the newest model. There's also a Calibre plug-in for managing Collections. In other words, it will more than suffice in terms of reading eBooks.

Mine works just as well as it did the first day although my lighted cover did crap out on me over the summer. Luckily I found an EBAY seller that had a lot of them on clearance for pretty cheap so I got a replacement.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote