Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Micro Cruz tablet?

I'm thinking to get a Micro Cruz Tablet. Anybody have one? Pros? Cons? Likes/Dislikes?
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
The only con I have for this device is the firmware it comes with keeps the CPU set at 533mhz. You have to hack it to get the full 800mhz.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfree View Post
The only con I have for this device is the firmware it comes with keeps the CPU set at 533mhz. You have to hack it to get the full 800mhz.
is that pretty easy to do?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
Sorry. I was thinking of the Cruz Reader, rather than the Cruz tablet when I wrote this. There are a lot of people who refer to them interchangably, and I've gotten lazy about trying to figure out which is which. The Cruz Reader can be hacked. I've read through the forum on slatedroid, and it's harder to hack that reader than the Pandigital Novel, which has the same basic hardware, but it is possible.

The Cruz tablet is another animal altogether. Capacitive screen, although the resolution is lower at 800x480. Half gig of RAM, not bad. Arm 7 800Mhz processor. Don't know if they're using all of that. There hasn't been a lot of chatter about the Cruz Tablet. If you're planning on a Cruz Tablet, and not the Cruz Reader, then I hope they've dropped the price significantly since it was introduced. The Nook Color would be a better option for a capcitive screen tablet at this level, so if they were of similar price points, I'd go Nook. If it's cheaper, it doesn't sound half bad.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
captivewildwoman
captivewildwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Best Buy has the Cruz Tablet (NOT Reader) on sale for $169 this week. I'd take a chance for that price. I have the Cruz Reader that I snagged during a Borders sale in December...I like it; haven't had any problems so far. Once the Android Market gets hot, it will be even more worth the investment.
captivewildwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
The Nook Color would be a better option for a capcitive screen tablet at this level, so if they were of similar price points, I'd go Nook. If it's cheaper, it doesn't sound half bad.
I got the Cruz Tablet on QVC as todays special value for $186, plus free shipping. Seemed like a good deal, everywhere else it was $259-$299. First foray into android so we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Nevermind.

Last edited by travfar; 01-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
That's an absolutely horrible deal. You do realize the Cruz tablet is an underclocked Pandigital Novel right? So the PDN is cheaper and faster. The MSRP for the PDN is $169. You can get it at Kohl's for $60. You can get it at Dillards for $40AR w/PM. You can get it at BBB for $30AR or $21AR w/PM if you use one of the weekly BBB 20% coupons.
I think that you are confusing the Cruz Tablet with the Cruz Reader.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I think that you are confusing the Cruz Tablet with the Cruz Reader.
You are absolutely right.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
tponzo
Addict

Well the verdict is in. I was all excited when my tablet came yesterday. (really fast shipping from QVC). I'm sending it back today. I like a touch screen but sometimes need the precision of a stylus. It doesn't support use of one. It only comes w/Android 2.0 but I figured (foolish me) that I would be able to upgrade the firmware - not! There are a very limited number of aps and I can't borrow library books.The screen is a total finger print magnet and finally no Adobe Flash. Many of my frequently visited websites, I can't even log on. This turned out to be a waste. Guess I'll keep looking for a cheaper ipad alternative cuz the velocity micro cruz ain't it.

Last edited by tponzo; 01-13-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
There are two Cruz tablets. TheT103 800X480 and the T301 800X600.

I have had the T301 for a couple of days now and like it OK. As some one else has said, the screen is a finger print magnet. But that aside, the Cruz does the job for me.

I came with the Kindle app already installed (the wife and I both have Kindles) and I installed the Aldiko ePub reader. The browser and email apps that came the Cruz works for me.

It also has a MS Word reader so I'm going to try to see if I can can find a way to convert Open Office files to Word so I can keep my contact and other data on the Cruz. I so, I'll be a happy camper and will consider that I have made a good purchase.

Time will tell.

Regards to all- John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Cruz Reader is the cheaper device with the resistive screen and a S3C6410 (identical to the Pandigital Novel) - that one is on sale at Borders right now for $119. The Cruz Tablet has the capacitive touch screen and a MIPS CPU, and is selling for $250.

I wouldn't buy either one right now, and I will explain why:

1- Android 2.0, and they will NEVER be updated. Velocity Micro has already stated this.

2- Reader is the same hardware as the PDN, which I own (and I used to own a Cruz Reader). It's not bad as an ereader, but for anything else its very slow. Video stutters every 5 seconds, status bar is stuck in eastern time, the speed is stuck at 528 Hz and cannot be changed without a kernel change, and the firmware hasn't been updated since October. Every time I called them about their issues I was told that I should probably get the tablet, so that tells you how quickly they've given up on the device.

3- Cruz Tablet is a MIPS CPU, not ARM. That means that you can't just sideload your favorite apks since the architecture is different. And, at $250, you'd be better off either hacking a Nook Color or waiting for the next gen of 7 inch devices to be released (imo). MIPS is trying to get a piece of the tablet pie, similar to x86. But for the moment ARM is king.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
annk
annk began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Cruz T301, Pocketbook IQ
Has anyone compared the Cruz T301 with the T103 for ereader purposes? From the info on Cruz's site, it looks like the extra memory and power in the T103 is because that model is aimed at the video-watching user, while the T301 (which is supposed to be a higher-end model is a bit wider, has slightly lower specs, and is supposed to be better suited as an ereader.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
baker706
baker706 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook Color
I just bought a Cruz tablet T301 on Black Friday for $99.99. So far I am reading Kindle, Kobo and installed Alkido(sp?) which I am not familiar with. I would like to get the Nook reading app on here, but couldn't get it. I have a Nook also so that is not a big problem. Trying to figure out a way to get a few game apps but having trouble with that.
baker706 is offline   Reply With Quote