Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #241
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just adding weight to the "if not" possibility.

I would think they simply interrupted the Kindle framework and ran their own firmware written from scratch. I can't think how they would integrate Amazon's firmware code, and I doubt they would reimplement it either.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #242
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walljumper View Post
Kual is not appearing. I need to run python and other KUAL apps. Is there a way to do this in Duokan?
Based mostly on the points made by eschwartz above . . .
I would have to say no.

To restate eschwartz's point:
Kual is an "Active Document" -
Active Documents depend on the Amazon Framework -
Duokan does not have the Amazon Framework running.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #243
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I recently got a slightly damaged Kindle Dx and installed Duokan.

Is there any way to add more readable fonts, such as OpenDyslexic, and to change the fonts Duokan uses in epubs? I know there's a font option in the settings, but I can't get it to work except for the settings. I can't get it to switch the fonts when it lists books, or when it displays epubs.

Djvu support and better Pdf rendering are good.

Sideways Pdf rendering, even if it requires a menu option to switch, would be good.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #244
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I recently got a slightly damaged Kindle Dx and installed Duokan.

Is there any way to add more readable fonts, such as OpenDyslexic, and to change the fonts Duokan uses in epubs? I know there's a font option in the settings, but I can't get it to work except for the settings. I can't get it to switch the fonts when it lists books, or when it displays epubs.

Djvu support and better Pdf rendering are good.

Sideways Pdf rendering, even if it requires a menu option to switch, would be good.
This is not a Duokan support forum. They steal our stuff and sell it, violate licenses, and generally do not play fair.

As THEM for support in their own (Chinese) forums...

If you want our support, uninstall Duokan, install our jailbreak (which Duokan stole from us), and then install and use KOReader (or similar).

Read this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93#post3224093

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-31-2016 at 12:44 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #245
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Other users here <i>suggested</i> Duokan. For example:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39&postcount=9

I was asking about accessibility solutions. I can't use touchscreens, with my disabilities, and I wanted a bigger screen for Pdfs and Djvus. I couldn't set up k2pdfopt. I can't use KOReader, because it doesn't support older Kindles, and I can't use newer ones.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KOReader

Can I use the older Kindlepdfviewer?

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-31-2016 at 01:58 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #246
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KOReader does support non-touch devices, but incompletely. Depending on your usage, this might be enough. Or not.

I provide builds over here.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #247
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Other users here <i>suggested</i> Duokan. For example:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39&postcount=9
- - - -
You ask on a non-technical forum and then wonder why the suggestion was not the technically best choice?
Duh...

= = = =

Un-install Doukan (if you can - its un-installer is known to have problems).

Then install Librerator:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198742

If you have any problems with that application, post in that thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #248
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Also, when I used duokan it broke some of the kindle software. Another reason against it.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #249
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@MarjaE,

In addition to the somewhat... unethical... behavior of the Duokan developers, it is also worth noting that they do not publish their source code, nor do they actively develop their product anymore.
Not only that, but their software does not play nice with our community jailbreak, and has been known to cause mysterious problems with our software and/or their own uninstaller. It is a headache, really.

It is the combination of those four factors that makes us both unable and unwilling to support it.

It is possible someone who actually knows the answer to your questions (through lots of hands-on experience trying to use it, I guess?) can help you, but you are far more likely to get prompt and useful help for KOReader and its predecessors/forks/addons, which are both open-source and actively developed in part by the members here.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-31-2016 at 02:50 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #250
MonsteraPeru
Enthusiast
MonsteraPeru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & co.
Hello! Does anyone have a working link I can use to download this software? I'm specifically looking for the Duokan for the Kindle DX and the Kindle 3.

TIA!
MonsteraPeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle