Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My phone is an iPhone 6 which is a few months short of 5 years old, and its battery life is absolutely fine. When I go to bed it typically has a battery charge of around 60% and I recharge it overnight. I use it all day for email, web browsing, etc.
When you say "all day", how long is that in actual usage? What does your Screen Time say (Settings->Screen Time)?

In general, I've been pretty happy with my iPhone battery. I probably use it (SE) about 40min a day (Screen time number), and it is usually above 70% in the evening. It is just over three years old. Although I went for a bike ride yesterday for 1.5 hours, and the battery went down ~70% (battery ended up at 38%), which has me a little worried.

I was very happy with my last 4s, I think I had it for more than 4 years and didn't notice a degradation in the battery.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #32
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There is now a battery health section in settings where you can see your battery's degradation. My iPhoneX, about a year and a half old, is at 90% of maximum capacity. It’s still 100% capable of peak performance.

At 80% I’ll probably get a new battery if I still have the phone. Once a day, night time charge most of the time. If I’m in an area with spotty cell coverage, or shooting a lot of photos and editing them, or shooting video...I’ll need to charge before the day is over.

On those days, I take an external battery with me. Just like Imhave a case on it such that my iPhone isn’t particularly thin either. I’d love to enjoy my iPhones actual thinness...but I don’t want to pay for repairs.

If my iPhone was as thick as it is with my case in it, I’d make it thicker still by putting a case on it. It’s the screen that’s fragile
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There is now a battery health section in settings where you can see your battery's degradation. My iPhoneX, about a year and a half old, is at 90% of maximum capacity. It’s still 100% capable of peak performance.

My 3 year old iPhone says 94%. Makes wonder about the reports if lion batteries 3 year life.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #34
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Thinner is not always better

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My 3 year old iPhone says 94%. Makes wonder about the reports if lion batteries 3 year life.

These lithium-ion batteries do not degrade in a fixed timely manner but rather just lose 70% in a matter of a couple of days after some years have passed, no matter if used heavily or not. They are composed of chemicald which degrade over time. With larger laptops batteries for example the effect is more dramatic.

Comparable to the liver which doesn't degrade sequentially with excessive drinking but shows signs of cirrhosis rather abruptly after years of drinking abuse.

Also the argument that you couldnt change the battery yourself I can't agree with because I was talking about repairabality in general, no matter if you do it yourself or let a repair shop do it, which I reckon most people go to.

Yes most lithium-ion batteries are fixed and not user replacable but thanks to aliexpress, ebay and taobao you can find almost any of them and replace them or let someone replace them.

There is no good argument to sacrifice a case that can be disassembled with screws with one that is glued or uses tabs in sacrifice for thinness both in terms of durability and longevitity.

Last edited by gamba66; 06-24-2019 at 01:49 PM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #35
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The problem is ereaders are tied to book stores so there's no competition among device manufacturers; just among book stores.

Barry
Have a look at PocketBook; no store tie-in according to a video on goodereader.com; they saw that as a negative for people who want the ease and simplicity of having the storefront built into the e-reader. So you're forced to side load all of your books. It also has an expansion slot for sdcard flash memory. They also have an android app named PocketBook which stands out because it displays an e-book properly, unlike almost all of the other ones. It's a Swiss company so maybe we could assume it's well made like a Swiss watch?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 02:39 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When you say "all day", how long is that in actual usage? What does your Screen Time say (Settings->Screen Time)?
Typically it’s between 4 and 6h. “Battery Health” shows 95%. I bought my iPhone 6 on its release day, which I see was 19th September 2014, so it’s three months short of being 5 years old now.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-28-2019 at 02:44 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Typically it’s between 4 and 6h. “Battery Health” shows 95%. I bought my iPhone 6 on its release day, which I see was 19th September 2014, so it’s three months short of being 5 years old now.
I would be very happy with that battery usage.

I'm happy with mine because in general, I don't use it very heavily. But I'd guess when I go to the city, and start using GPS, I could probably go through the battery in ~4hrs (going from the experience of my last trip to the city). My last experience of it going down 70% in 1.5 hours was disconcerting.

I do have everything on all the time (wifi, GPS, BT, ...). Turning off wifi didn't seem to be too significant. I am happy with it for music playback: I'd guess it only goes down 5%/hr when using BT.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
GPS is very power-hungry. It’ll very quickly drain your battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #39
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
To underline my point that thinner can be alot worse, the best example for this is the Sony DPT-RP1 and DPT-CP1 13.3" and 10.3" ebook readers. They are glued together and are not meant to be taken apart at all incase any repair will become necessary. Rather they will be returned incase of any damage and exchanged for a new one (if sony customer service even responds).

Here a quote from Reddit where someone experienced a defect:
Quote:
These stuffs are made by adhesive technology the whole unit and battery all glued together to ensure cheap and fast assembly and that consumers will buy a new one, and cannot be repaired. Therefore Sony doesn't have their own repair service even that is outsourced and even if they take it they will send it back to the factory and shift it to a refurb. Besides important to mention not only Sony does it. If you live in Europe, I read that the Union is going to submit a new bill that in the EU adhesive technology -- Edit: and built in timer -- will be banned and all products must be serviceable on low cost. I still need to verify this news, though.
They are build to be very light and thin but have alot of durability issues due to the thin cases. Screens seems to break easily and show lines or non-responsive areas where the pen cant be used probably due to flex-damage.

The sony DPT-S1 was still made with a metal case and manufactured in japan while the newer DPT-RP1 and CP1 are made in china completely with thin and light plastic cases.

Some pictures from amazon customer reviews underline this problem I would advise to read some of the customer experiences there since so many people seem to have durability issues: Some brand new out of the box and others with longtime experiences.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	51bRPWjEcBL._SL1600_.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	172275 Click image for larger version

Name:	71BlB1EEmDL.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	172276 Click image for larger version

Name:	61MsV6jX4TL.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	172277 Click image for larger version

Name:	61+IeG667yL.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	172278 Click image for larger version

Name:	51w5SnjYJqL._SL1600_.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	172279 Click image for larger version

Name:	51gjaNtZHeL._SL1600_.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	172280 Click image for larger version

Name:	71Zmq46pH5L.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	172281

Last edited by issybird; 07-06-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Oversize images thumbnailed. Please take the time to do this before posting!
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #40
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
thin, by itself, is not bad at all. it reduces weight. but you have to look at it in conjunction with ergonomics, battery life, and durability. because of this, i think the kindle oasis incorporates all these elements better than any other device. it has a metal back, so it's more durable. if it was plastic, that would be another thing altogether. then there is the thicker side to accommodate for more battery life and ergonomics. but the reading area itself is as thin as possible, making the whole device lighter. i wish other manufacturers put as much thought into product design as amazon did for the kindle oasis.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #41
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
thin, by itself, is not bad at all. it reduces weight. but you have to look at it in conjunction with ergonomics, battery life, and durability. because of this, i think the kindle oasis incorporates all these elements better than any other device. it has a metal back, so it's more durable. if it was plastic, that would be another thing altogether. then there is the thicker side to accommodate for more battery life and ergonomics. but the reading area itself is as thin as possible, making the whole device lighter. i wish other manufacturers put as much thought into product design as amazon did for the kindle oasis.
I agree except that I think the Kobo Forma has done it even better. The thick part where the battery and buttons are is slightly angled up and definitely easier to hold than the Kindle. And, as I've ranted about elsewhere, the GUI on the Kobo is much better and has more features than the Kindle.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-10-2019 at 07:44 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ergonomics is very personal - there is no ‘one size fits all’. Likewise with user interfaces: some people want all conceivable options and features, others just need basics.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #43
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ergonomics is very personal - there is no ‘one size fits all’. Likewise with user interfaces: some people want all conceivable options and features, others just need basics.
I agree. I loved my Voyage. When it died I bought a Paperwhite 4. I hated it. It was so thin and slippery that I felt like I was going to drop it all the time. I added a cover and that helped a little but the bezels were so small that I kept turning pages inadvertently. I decided to try the new Nook 7.8". I like it fine. It is easier to hold. I like the plastic back. I LOVE the buttons. The Nook software is not great but once I am in the book and reading, I don't notice. Choice is good.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #44
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
As far as size and ease of holding in a hand go, I use a Pop Socket on the back of mine. I do hold mine though - I have Progressive eyeglass lenses and I need it at a particular distance and angle - and I do like it to be pretty light.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #45
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
For me thinness matters so far as it relates to reducing the overall weight of the device. When you’re reading for long stretches of time, your hand can get fatigued by the weight of the device. My 7 year old Kobo Mini at 135g is far more comfortable to hold than my new Kindle Oasis 3 at 188g. That extra 50g feels a lot heavier than you would think after holding it for an hour.

A thinner ereader would be great if it’s also feather light.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote