Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Looking for a hard case that will hold the 505 with cover on

I am looking for something to put my reader in when it is in my briefcase. I know for sure that it needs protection because I destroyed my 500's screen stuffing my briefcase in the overhead bin on the airplane a few weeks ago. I will normally use the reader in its soft case but want this for when I'm on travel. I've seen a lot of solutions that take the reader without the case and I did see the thread that showed how to make a plastic case but I am looking for something a bit stronger I think. An aluminum case with padding would be ideal but I don't want it to be too big since it still has to fit in my briefcase.

Any thoughts?

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
its not a hard case, but i have a small pleather padded rigid cover zipper portfolio that fits my 500 perfectly. its made for a small 5'X8' note pad and was sent to me from office depot. the reader with cover fits perfectly when the paper pad is removed. i think it would offer great protection in a briefcase or backpack
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't really have a specific answer, but would think a pistol case would be ideal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't really have a specific answer, but would think a pistol case would be ideal.
And go over oh so well with those nice TSA folks at the airport!

I generally carry my 500 in a hollowed out book, they're not too hard to make with good instructions, a good Xacto knife, and a little patience ... or a RotoZip.

If I ever make another one, I'm definitely using a RotoZip.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
An aluminum case with padding would be ideal but I don't want it to be too big since it still has to fit in my briefcase.
I have got two cases.

First one:
I measured my reader. Then I have cut two sheets of 5mm thick plywood.
I have laminated one side of plywood using thick glass fabric (500grams per square meter) using epoxy resin (I have had some resin with long past expiration date - this is why the lamination is not transparent).
Then I cut three sides from a piece of wood with 1cm x 3cm crossection and and glued and screwed them into the sides in such a way that the laminated layer is *inside*. Then I rounded the edges and laminated the outside of the case using finer glass fabric and epoxy.
Finally I have lined the inside of the case using remains self-adhesive strips of foam I have been using to insulate doorframe.
The construction is very quick, very ugly and very, *very* strong. The laminated layer inside gives the case very high rigidity. I think it can survive being run over by a car.

The second case:
I have been carrying a piece of cardboard cut exactly to the size of Reader in my bag from the moment I have arranged for my reader to be bought for me. I have been looking for a nice case (with that piece of cardboard in hand) everywhere I went. I tried numerous boxes, food containers, cases, suitcases, sets, toy containers ...
... finally I have found a perfect tin case. I have purchased a set of threading tools for $10 in a "super bargain" bin in a local Lidl supermarket. The threading tools are most probably worthless and will break during the first use. It does not matter. I was willing to pay that $10 (in my local currency) for the tin box alone.

I use the wooden box when I need extra protection for my reader.
The tin case is perfect for carrying my Reader in the notebook case together with a notebook on business trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00209.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	842.6 KB
ID:	6767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00210.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	836.7 KB
ID:	6768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	807.8 KB
ID:	6769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00212.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	846.4 KB
ID:	6770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00214.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	6771  
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
And go over oh so well with those nice TSA folks at the airport!
I figure most things you could put it in would make them at least take a look.

What I was thinking was something like this...
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/ac...cessory_id=877
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I figure most things you could put it in would make them at least take a look.
Point, but since my book is transparent on x-ray, they've never even asked me to take it out to realize I was "hiding" something in it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here is my case. I havent found anything better in local stores yet so this is my $4 temporary solution for the reader protection (4 layers of bubble wrap and it fits perfectly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000939.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	6854   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000940.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	6855   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000942.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6856   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000944.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	6857   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000945.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6858  
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Cam.nikon
Cam.nikon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-505
Hello fellow Sony Reader owners.

I made a case out of a good quality DVD gift box and I lined it with 5mm foam.

This gives a nice snug fitting, which keeps my reader safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0998.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	6862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0999.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	6863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1000.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	6864   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1001.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	6865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1004.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	6866  
Cam.nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam.nikon View Post
Hello fellow Sony Reader owners.

I made a case out of a good quality DVD gift box and I lined it with 5mm foam.
Great tip!
It looks like I will have to visit several DVD/CD stores on my way from work tomorrow.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Finally I have managed to found something - case from CaseLogic (http://www.caselogic.com/mp3_travel_...?modelid=44255).
Well, it's not hard covered case but I have added extra layer from different hard case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000950.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	6908   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000951.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	6909   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000952.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	6910  

Last edited by moneytoo; 10-29-2007 at 05:28 PM.
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo View Post
Finally I have managed to found something - case from CaseLogic (http://www.caselogic.com/mp3_travel_...?modelid=44255).
Well, it's not hard covered case but I have added extra layer from different hard case.
I saw this case at Walmarts and they all have fuzz and hairs all over them. They seem to attract dust/hairs like crazy, one reason I decided to find something else.

I've seem some harddrive cases but they are 4x6 in size, just a little too small.
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
thegrendel
thegrendel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Cheap semi-diy 500/505 hard case

I used a "computer toolkit" case. These computer toolkits typically sell for about $8 on
eBay and all you have to do is minor surgery on the internal elastic straps.

You get a semi-hard-sided leather case that fits the PRS, and has room on the other side
for a block of styrofoam padding. As a bonus you get all those nifty tools.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PRS-hard-case.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6929  
thegrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Two pieces of 22gau aluminum with edges rounded out and contact glued to the original Sony jacket. The perfect canvas for a steampunker.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here are the pictures of mine.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420

It's made of a plastic security case. It's clear, which I highly recommend with the TSA. They have taken it out of my briefcase many times because the large circuit board catches their attention. They usually say, "You forgot to take out your laptop", and I say "it's only an electronic book". They are on the lookout for circuit boards inside handmade stuff, and you don't want to go the way of that girl in Boston with the LED flasher on her hoodie. I wouldn't use a hollowed out book, because I don't want to miss my plane, although I like the look of that idea better.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote