Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #61
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I think there is a plugin that tries to do that. However not all epub3 features are supported by epub2 unlike going from epub2 to epub3.

Since all new epub readers support epub3, and Kindle can accept epub3 for input why is going backwards important, as it will not help for archival purposes? And any "normal" fiction epub3 can add in an NCX and guide info to make them compatible with older epub2 only readers.

To future proof things, converting from epub2 to epub3 but making sure they have an ncx and guide for backwards compatibility would seem to be a better approach.

What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I noticed the "RemoveNCXGuideFromEpub3" function and was wondering if it is also possible to change an ePub3 to an ePub2.

Currently I manually open the opf from the zip file and change the version=3 to version=2 then save and reopen. Not a difficult thing to do, just time consuming.

I'm thinking this functionality would require closing the epub but leave the sigil shell open to run the script, then reopening the epub...
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #62
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
What am I missing?

I know there are those around here that pontificate about the joys of ePub2 but it's just me being lazy and not learning ePub3-isms yet. I still do everything in ePub2. One thing I DON'T like is ePub3's meta entries in the opf.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I know there are those around here that pontificate about the joys of ePub2 but it's just me being lazy and not learning ePub3-isms yet. I still do everything in ePub2. One thing I DON'T like is ePub3's meta entries in the opf.
You could try the Doitsu's epub2 output plugin. I tried it a couple of times and the output seemed quite clean but I found myself working more with epub3 files so never did a full job of testing it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:53 AM   #64
MicroDrie
Connoisseur
MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, Linux Mint, Tablet, and Telephone
Quote:
Then as a proof of concept, a text file with a list of plugin names to run (one per line) could be read from a "automate01.txt" file stored in Sigil's Preferences folder. KevinH
I think it's a very good idea, but you see a lot of different ideas and wishes in this post.
Why not put the commands to be executed in a JSON file? This makes it much easier to add and maintain a program step (and its sequence), as well as the associated options and actions on the result of that step.
MicroDrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are no associated options or actions for each step. It's not that complicated. It's a list of tools to be run in succession, nothing more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #66
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroDrie View Post
I think it's a very good idea, but you see a lot of different ideas and wishes in this post.
Why not put the commands to be executed in a JSON file? This makes it much easier to add and maintain a program step (and its sequence), as well as the associated options and actions on the result of that step.
Users only needed to manually edit automate lists in earlier beta versions. The latest beta comes with a dedicated Automate List Editor for creating/editing automation lists.

Besides, so far only one task requires a parameter, which is clearly indicated.

Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #67
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on feedback from testers of the betas, the automate feature appears to be quite useful and will be present in the next release.

That leads to a 2 more things:

- How likely will this feature be used by newer or occasional users of Sigil? If not much, should the Automate Toolbar be hidden for all new Sigil users until enabled with the View menu?

- Is there anyone willing to contribute an Automate chapter for our Sigil User Guide? Perhaps with a couple of sample Automate Lists that users might find useful? A picture of the Automate Toolbar, and a picture of the Automate Editor and maybe even a picture of the resulting log?

If not, I will take a shot at it but I am a horrible writer.

Thanks,

ps:

I just pushed to master support for the following 4 new automate Tool commands (and added AutomateEditor support for them). Thank BeckyEbook for the idea!

SetBookBrowserToAllCSS
- "Select all CSS Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToAllHTML
- "Select all HTML Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToAllImages
- "Select all Image Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToInitialSelection
- "Reset BookBrowser to its initial selection"
Old 08-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
ps:

I just pushed to master support for the following 4 new automate Tool commands (and added AutomateEditor support for them). Thank BeckyEbook for the idea!

SetBookBrowserToAllCSS
- "Select all CSS Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToAllHTML
- "Select all HTML Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToAllImages
- "Select all Image Files in BookBrowser"

SetBookBrowserToInitialSelection
- "Reset BookBrowser to its initial selection"
A very good idea! Especially useful for plugins that only operate on files selected in BookBrowser.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:43 PM   #69
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... Is there anyone willing to contribute an Automate chapter for our Sigil User Guide? Perhaps with a couple of sample Automate Lists that users might find useful? A picture of the Automate Toolbar, and a picture of the Automate Editor and maybe even a picture of the resulting log? ...
If there are no other volunteers, I would be willing to put something together with two caveats:

1) I am swamped right now, so it may be some weeks before I can do this. Not sure what the time-frame is.

2) While I am intrigued by the new Automate feature, it's unlikely that I will actually use it. But I like learning new things and will be playing with the new Automate feature just to figure out how it works. If there's someone who will be actively using Automate and is willing to write the chapter, that would be better. If not, I'm game.

Last edited by odamizu; 08-31-2021 at 01:30 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #70
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No problems! We can wait. I am in no rush to release Sigil 1.8 since Sigil 1.7 seems to be quite stable and doing its job well.

To help speed things up, I have attached my very very rough draft of a new automate.xhtml chapter as a starting point. I have also added a few images and things.

When you have time, just let me know and I can get you a link to a pre-release build of Sigil for macOS so that you can see and play around with this new feature.

Please feel free to change anything you want in this chapter as I admit my writing style is not for everyone (or even for me!).

Thanks!

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If there are no other volunteers, I would be willing to put something together with two caveats:

1) I am swamped right now, so it may be some weeks before I can do this. Not sure what the time-frame is.

2) While I am intrigued by the new Automate feature, it's unlikely that I will actually use it. But I like learning new things and will be playing with the new Automate feature just to figure out how it works. If there's someone who will be actively using Automate and is willing to write the chapter, that would be better. If not, I'm game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip automate_chapter.zip (146.0 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 08-31-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 PM   #71
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I have attached my very very rough draft of a new automate.xhtml chapter as a starting point ...
Thanks! The rough draft looks not so rough at all and will certainly speed things up.

Quote:
When you have time, just let me know and I can get you a link to a pre-release build of Sigil for macOS so that you can see and play around with this new feature ...
If you have a pre-release build ready, I'd be interested in the link so that I have it on hand if I have some time here and there to play with it. Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:04 PM   #72
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I will pm you the latest link.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #73
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
- How likely will this feature be used by newer or occasional users of Sigil? If not much, should the Automate Toolbar be hidden for all new Sigil users until enabled with the View menu?
I’d vote surface it up front. Personally, I get in my habits early and despite using sigil daily, this very feature has helped me find OTHER features I didn’t know existed (a category this feature would have also landed in).

Last edited by phillipgessert; 09-05-2021 at 08:14 PM.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
I’d vote surface it up front. Personally, I get in my habits early and despite using sigil daily, this very feature has helped me find OTHER features I didn’t know existed (a category this feature would have also landed in).
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔
Once we find an app we like, we tend to prefer the way things were done. Thus I do my heavy lifting with Sigil. New features would end up buried and undiscovered in many cases (and have) if someone had not posted here.

OTOH don't do a full reset of a users toolbar setup without asking:
"new features require major toolbar x adjustments. OK? Skip"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:27 AM   #75
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
I didn't really follow the implementation of this feature, but now that the translations have appeared, which means that its arrival is imminent...
Only 3 automate lists?!

But, but, But No! What is this heresy?
10 automate (2 groups of 5, like plugin) would be a minimum for a such powerful feature!!
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote