Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Annoyingly, the buttons seem to be on the "wrong" (left) side..
The Boox devices can rotate and when rotated 180 ° the buttons are on the right side.
Quote:
Well, that, and the lack of physical page turn buttons (I end up using my A5 Pro most of the time, flipping pages with the volume buttons).
I use a bluetooth remote control to turn pages - this is much more convenient for me than buttons on the device; Boox has one that allows you to control the whole device.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The Boox devices can rotate and when rotated 180° the buttons are on the right side.
180° seems to have a stigma among Android devices, many don't allow it. My Poke3 doesn't seem to do it. My B&N Glow2 did so I could run it upside down to charge it. I'll have to figure out where I need to patch my Poke3.

Quote:
I use a bluetooth remote control to turn pages...
I like clickers. I used a wired one on my Glow2.

I have a Bluetooth one like a selfie clicker for the Poke3 that sends a PgDn.
Unfortunately it times out after a minute and I haven't been able to patch it.
I'm still looking for a single or double button remote with PgDn/PgUp. I don't like the ones with 5 way buttons.

I've still got to work on building an out-of-tree driver for the system console. That way I can have the benefit of wired clicker connectivity and root console without ADB.

Even without that I can make a wired pusbutton page turn using the console RX in as a GPIO. I've already tested that as proof-of-concept.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
180° seems to have a stigma among Android devices, many don't allow it. My Poke3 doesn't seem to do it. My B&N Glow2 did so I could run it upside down to charge it. I'll have to figure out where I need to patch my Poke3.
All Boox devices can rotate every 90 ° (90, 180, 270, 0).
It's on the Android line (I don't know the correct name in English); the "-" of the "T" means top.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All Boox devices can rotate every 90 ° (90, 180, 270, 0).
It's on the Android line (I don't know the correct name in English); the "-" of the "T" means top.
Ah, you're right. It's on the pull-down menu (window shade?).

But this doesn't work on a per-application basis.
Code:
activity.setRequestedOrientation(ActivityInfo.SCREEN_ORIENTATION_REVERSE_PORTRAIT);
This is an anomaly that people have complained about for years:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...screen-enabled

In the Poke3 case there is no auto-rotate to turn on, so that won't work.
My B&N Glow2 does upside-down at the application level correctly.

The code that controls this is in android_policy.jar com.android.internal.policy.impl.PhoneWindowManage r
Although there is config_allowAllRotations in framework-res.apk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glow180.png
Views:	122
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	189010  
Old 08-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #35
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Ah, you're right. It's on the pull-down menu (window shade?).

But this doesn't work on a per-application basis.
It works for me in every application - of course not application-controlled, but manually.
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #36
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The Boox devices can rotate and when rotated 180 ° the buttons are on the right side.I use a bluetooth remote control to turn pages - this is much more convenient for me than buttons on the device; Boox has one that allows you to control the whole device.
How do you use it? I assume you then place your Boox device on a table and read from further away?

That might be convenient for a bigger model (10"+). However, I usually read in foreign languages, so I often have to look up a lot of words. Having my fingers at the ready by the screen would minimize unnecessary movement.

I like the idea of having the physical buttons separate on the case. It just seems like an odd choice to have it on the left side. (Yes, I understand the screen can be rotated - still making the right side the default seems more natural to me.)

A bigger problem would be the smaller battery. My Nova 3 drains a bit too fast for me. I use wifi to sync books and reading position; it's on all the time in the background so as not to forget to sync. On the other hand I never use the frontlight, so maybe it evens it out.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #37
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
How do you use it? I assume you then place your Boox device on a table and read from further away?
I don't like buttons at all - they're always in the wrong place; apart from that, they can do too little.
With the reading application I use (AlReader), I can call up 21 functions directly from the screen.

I need a remote control when I use the device outside of my arms and reach - e.g. piano sheet music.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #38
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I need a remote control when I use the device outside of my arms and reach - e.g. piano sheet music.
Sorry, did we have this discussion already? What do you use on your feet?
I like the soft buttons of the iRig BlueBoard.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, did we have this discussion already? What do you use on your feet?
This with Max Lumi
Old 10-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #40
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
without any fcc leak yet, nor boox teasing anything, and with the supply problems of eink screens, I do not think we will see any replacement for the current line-up with on-cell screens for at least half a year, probably a year before we have a lumi on-cell replacement.

I was giving them till October to announce something, but no luck.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote