Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
ameho
ameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle PW2
Kindle PaperWhite 2 Fonts Hack

I just succeed in adding custom fonts on my kindle paperwhite 2 jp.
Here is the snapshot:

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

As you can see , the fifth font that i selected is just a custom font that i added to my kpw2.

My method is not a easy way for you to customize your fav font. So i post my operation here, hope to find a better way to add whatever font i like.

PS. I am a chinese, so that means i'm not good at english. I would make some grammar errors in my english writing.

First of all,i just use the official ways to update a font bundle for my fav fonts.So kindletools help me a lot, thank NiLuJe.

Jailbreak your kindle, install the usbnet.
Edit the file /var/local/java/prefs/master.manifest, add your font properties just like "language":"zh-Hans" or "language":"ja", and the downloadURL must be a link to get the font update in the future.

Download the official fonts update, the link is mentioned in master.manifest
Unpack it by kindletool, and you would see three files.
The file manifest and *.font can be convert to a editable file use: kindletool convert -w theinputfile

The manifest would be a text file, you need to edit to match your font. And the file named *.font would be a Linux Compressed ROM File System data, upack it and add your fonts. Don't forget to edit the conf file and get the font cache on your kindle.

Finally, you need to pack them at all.Just like this:kindletool create sig --bundle SP01 --unsigned --userdata --cert 0 manifest.tgz data.stgz

And compress the three files in tar.gz, use kindletool to convert it like: kindletool create ota2 --device k1 --bundle FL01 --tgtrev 2 zh-Hans/zh-Hans.tar.gz update_zh-Hans.bin

Also your need to add a configure file in /usr/lib/font/manifests/ ,your must copy the prior manifest file in this path and named it like manifest_zh-Hans.
zh-Hans would be the locale you choose to add your font.

That's it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.
ameho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
chunchunchun
chunchunchun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am a Chinese KPW2(JP Version) user too, and I can not figure out how to replace Kai (or Hei) with my favorite fonts using Font Overrides.
chunchunchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ameho: Thanks for proving that this is actually working and feasible . I'll try to look at it in detail during winter break, see if I can come up with a less cumbersome manner to make it work...

@chunchunchun: You can't through the UI. If you look at the basic fc-override.tpl fontconfig config shard, you'll probably be able to come up with something working, but having a basic understanding of how fontconfig works will certainly help.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
7878k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
how wonderful it is。。
7878k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
great work! but why was the image removed/deleted?
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
bobafruit
bobafruit began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Any progress on making this easier?

Or should I just go ahead and do it the hard way
bobafruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Haven't had time (nor a pressing will to, to be perfectly honest) to look at this, so, yep, you're stuck with doing it the hard way, either like that, or through the Fonts hack.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote