Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
New Kindle Paperwhites? (Plural, yes)

GoodEreader (so take it with a boulder of salt) says Amazon is releasing a Paperwhite 5 and Paperwhite Signature edition. Both feature waterproofing and warmlight and 6.8" screen. The Signature one has wireless charging.

They say they were available at Amazon Canada and Mexico and have corroborating screenshots, but when I checked I saw no such beast.

Amazon is going to release Kindle Paperwhite 5 Signature Edition Soon
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There are threads about this in the Kindle forum.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I hate taking anything from GER but I saw this as an article from Engadget earlier and they also had a reference to a separate leak found on Reddit. So it's something.

Hopefully the Signature Edition is a good replacement for my long-in-the-tooth Voyage at some point. I also hope they have made the move to USB-C as well.

Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/amazons-nex...101549272.html

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm..._theres_a_new/
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve never bought a Kindle, but it’s just possible that with the right deal I could fall for the Paperwhite 5. I don’t need the extra memory or bells and whistles of the Signature Edition; I only care about the size. The Oasis was always too expensive and I hated the form factor anyway; that sharp corner cut into my palm.

I know there won’t be a deal right away, but maybe by Black Friday? In any case, there’s no rush. The number of devices for which I’ve paid full retail is laughably few. It might even be none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I also hope they have made the move to USB-C as well.
The latest Fire HD 8 is USB-C, so I’d be stunned if these aren’t.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ve never bought a Kindle, but it’s just possible that with the right deal I could fall for the Paperwhite 5.
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There are threads about this in the Kindle forum.
Ah, sorry dude. I looked and the thread about the firmware was at the top, so I guess I missed it.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
More accurately, the H2O2 as that was the one with warm light.

But you are right. I didn't think about it, but the new Paperwhite is sort of the H2O2 redux.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?
I don't think Amazon wants to ditch their cheap, entry-level reader altogether. They've had one since 2011, 10 years. Of course I may be wrong.

167 dpi is pretty old by now. Perhaps they'll upgrade it to 200-something.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought the Aura H2Os were lower resolution screens?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
167 dpi is pretty old by now. Perhaps they'll upgrade it to 200-something.
Before 300 dpi became the norm, I think 221 was considered pretty good?

But I could see them just making it 300 dpi, just without waterproofing or warm lighting.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought the Aura H2Os were lower resolution screens?
You are right. 265 dpi. I thought the edition 2 was 300. Shows what I know.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
i'd like Amazon to upgrade the Paperwhite 4 with the warmlight.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i'd like Amazon to upgrade the Paperwhite 4 with the warmlight.

best wishes koboy
Um... they just did, didn't they?
Old 09-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #15
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Um... they just did, didn't they?
i meant the Paperwhite 4 with the 6 inch screen to include the warmlight not the new 6.8.

the 6.8 size is of zero interest to me. too big.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote