Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Panasonic Preparing 20 inch 4K Tablet

From Tablet News http://tablet-news.com/2013/08/29/pa...13-showcasing/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are quite a few of these things appearing on the market. I think they're aimed more at being "transportable" table-top devices rather than tablets in the traditional sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are quite a few of these things appearing on the market. I think they're aimed more at being "transportable" table-top devices rather than tablets in the traditional sense.
Tablets haven't been around long enough to have a traditional sense. Unless you count ancient stone tablets, which were even bigger than this. But let's not forget that the iPad was initially viewed as a big iPhone and that phones have been getting bigger.

I think that the most important things that would make the difference between this being a tablet or a "transportable" table-top are going to be the battery life and the weight.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

2840 x 2560 pixels at 20 inches is only 191 dpi. That is very nice for a 20 inch monitor, but not so much for a tablet, IMO. What exactly is the purpose of a 20 inch so-called tablet? If it is meant to be used as a "tablet" then I rather think it is too big to be easily carried around or held in your hands. If it is meant to be used as a touchscreen monitor, then it makes more sense. I didn't see anything about which OS it would be running. Android would be joke on something that big as so many of the apps don't scale well at 10 inches much less 20 inches. Windows RT seems like a waste of time as developers and consumers are both cool towards it. If it runs Windows 8 then maybe it would have more of a market.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What exactly is the purpose of a 20 inch so-called tablet? If it is meant to be used as a "tablet" then I rather think it is too big to be easily carried around or held in your hands. If it is meant to be used as a touchscreen monitor, then it makes more sense.
The image in the article is this:

And it's smaller than a newspaper broadsheet.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
A "coffee-table book" ebook reader?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I wonder if such large tablets are being developed for seniors? To supply content (i.e. sell content) to the older folk who can't read on a 7" tablet? Who would use such a tablet at home - so portability would not be an issue ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Weight would be a problem there, I should think. I just got a 10 in Samsung tablet and I find it a good bit heavier/clumsier than my old Aluratek reader. Of course, the clumsiness part could be where it's slick and I don't have a case for it yet -- I bought one only to find out it did NOT fit like the clerk said it would when I got it home and they seem to be all out of anything except the smaller ones. It's a great size for viewing but if I could have managed with a 7 in. model I don't think I'd have gone to even 10.1 inches, let alone 20. Not for use as a tablet, anyway.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And it's smaller than a newspaper broadsheet.
True but I spend about an hour/day reading the newspaper. I suppose it depends on cost but I don't think I'd be willing to spend several hundred dollars on something that I use only an hour/day. And other than newspapers (and maybe magazines which I currently read rarely if ever) I don't see it having very much use. Maybe they can market some to libraries.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm thinking it is definitely too heavy for seniors. Maybe if it has a built-in stand to keep it angled on a table it could be used that way, but it make my 55 year old neck hurt to even think about using it as a reader! More than likely Panasonic is just using it as a test bed device to see if it draws attention, and if so, what kind of attention. A 20 inch second monitor with touchscreen would not be a bad idea, but I really cannot imagine myself wanting a 20 inch tablet. It would probably work well as a built-in wall/rack mounted device in some sort of engineering control room though. And probably work well in a kiosk at a shopping mall or airport.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
True but I spend about an hour/day reading the newspaper. I suppose it depends on cost but I don't think I'd be willing to spend several hundred dollars on something that I use only an hour/day. And other than newspapers (and maybe magazines which I currently read rarely if ever) I don't see it having very much use. Maybe they can market some to libraries.
The comparison to the newspaper was just for size. From the article it seems that it is designed for 4k films.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The article has the UltraHD spec resolution wrong: 4K screens are 3840x2160.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
2840 x 2560 pixels at 20 inches is only 191 dpi. That is very nice for a 20 inch monitor, but not so much for a tablet, IMO. What exactly is the purpose of a 20 inch so-called tablet? ... If it is meant to be used as a touchscreen monitor, then it makes more sense.
For me it would be used as a digital music stand. I tried the Sony Vaio tap 20. Windows 8 killed it. (I encountered a problem installing the antivirus software. The machine needed Windows 8 to be reloaded. I did not have the disk and did not want to screw around doing it over the net as I have a slow connection. The computer was brand new and I needed it operational for my work. The place where I bought it wanted to charge me to reload Windows. So I returned it.)
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! I'd use it to replace my desktop.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
I LIKE!!!!!!!!!! I'd use it to replace my desktop.
Yes, this is what I think most people would use it for. They are calling it a tablet but it would be more appropriately labeled as a computer.