Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #31
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1 T3
Hacking is based on hardware, namely you have to open the reader. Firmware dump has already been finished. AFAIK, Sony uses signature verification for root access, so software hacking requires a master. I can not do it.

Last edited by Yokowa; 06-28-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Yokowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #32
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokowa View Post
Firmware dump has already been finished.
Could you please provide a download of the flash dump?
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #33
ebookread
Enthusiast
ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ebookread could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-T2, PRS-T3
maybe one of the known Coders would be so kind to look at the dump? If not could you post a tut for your hardware hack, if its feasible for a soldering starter.
ebookread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #34
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Yokowa, how good you are with hardware?

I have an idea which if realized should allow for inexpensive (relatively) hardware dependent way of jailbreaking any Sony readers with SD slot which does not require physically opening the devices.

It is based on understanding of the script Sony is using to verify signature of update package: if I am not mistaken internally Sony script (sh or bash - does not matter here) verifies signature of provided package (using openssl executable) and if it is OK issues mount on it, eventually running update script from inside of mounted file. Update file has a name update.img and signature should be update.sig. If you would be able to make sure that update.img for signature check is the original one from Sony but mounted update.img is yours - you will be able to run jailbreak the same way we did on T2 devices with firmware with opened hole.

For that it should be possible to use SD card emulation (simple SPI mode should do fine). Such device plugged into reader SD slot (as SD card) will internally count block reads and after signature verification is done (last block of the original Sony file has been read?) will start providing content of your update.img with jailbreak, allowing for it to be installed.

I believe similar hack has been used before on various devices using simple MCU based boards (Teensy, Arduino, Freescale Freedom or Texas Instrumental Launchpad) capable of implementing SPI protocol slave mode. Information on SD card protocol today is freely available and SPI capable board could be purchased for $10-$20. You just need a lot of time and some will

Last edited by rupor; 06-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #35
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

rupor, I know the basic elctronics mainly analog circuits, not very familiar with embeded system boards, but I think I can handle some digital circuits.

This is my understanding of your idea:
Use the original update.img and update.img.sig from sony to pass the signature verification. when the script starts to mount update.img, the SD card emulator provides the update.img modified for jailbreak.

According to the script "linuxrc" from t3, the correct update.img.sig is generated from update.img by sha, rsa, aes-cbc, but in the flash packages(jailbreak.7z,resize.7z...) you made for t2, you use the same update.img.sig2 for different update.img, which confuses me a lot.

My questions is: where to get the original update.img and its update.img.sig that could pass the verification?

Last edited by Yokowa; 06-29-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #36
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

It was my understanding that update package from Sony should have it... Let me take a look.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #37
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

What about copying the calculated signature of an Sony EBX-5059 Update package in /usr/local/sony/bin/functions-c's unpack_package_updater() and renaming the *.package update.img for the verification step?

Yokowa could do this with his rooted device.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #38
rupor
meat popsicle

Yep, this should work...
Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #39
Yokowa

I have not done a test, just took a look at the scripts. The verification processes seem to be the same, but we'd better do a real test. The signature file is not created by calculation but dd from the "PRS-T3 Updater.package", so we can use them to pass verification but can not sign update.img with jailbreak, for we don't know the private key.

I am not good at scripts, it will be handy if any of you guys can send me modified scripts(bs, functions-c, functions-d,...), which can extract the update.img and its signature to sdcard. Then I will test.

Last edited by Yokowa; 07-01-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #40
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Question

Great news! At least some movement in the right direction ))

Last edited by hel; 07-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #41
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokowa View Post
I am not good at scripts, it will be handy if any of you guys can send me modified scripts(bs, functions-c, functions-d,...), which can extract the update.img and its signature to sdcard. Then I will test.
Well, a flash dump would come in handy. At least, the content of /usr/local/sony/bin, please, to be sure to be doing the right thing for a T3.

EDIT: The /linuxrc from mmcblk2p1 would be useful as well.

Last edited by ebmr; 07-01-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #42
mao_king
mao_king began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Yep, this should work...
hello i updated my firmware of PRS-T1 to 1.0.07, is it possible to root it?
thanks a lot
mao_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #43
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
wait for great message for ROOTED T3!
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #44
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
It's a pity there is so little activity on this topic. The hardware hack seemed so promising... Btw has somebody uploaded the flash dump in the meantime?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #45
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
It's a pity there is so little activity on this topic. The hardware hack seemed so promising...
There is activity behind the curtain. Be patient and don't expect to much.